Quantcast

Norway ride pics (lots)

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Originally posted by KPicha
Oh my gosh! Did he actually land that??!! :eek:
Several times dude, the kid is like 18-19ish... He does some amazing tricks.

EDIT: You can see his backflip in here somewhere, but I couldn't find the clip where he actually does the nofooter as well. It's out there somewhere :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Originally posted by Trond
Good old hard rocks! :D
Not to answer for Trond as he is now my hero....

But they look like Glacially scoured Teritiary Basalts and Dolerite (Granites). Most of the younger rocks were pushed into the sea by succesive glaciation. So you would see very little to nothing like a lava flow in that area. The northern parts of Norway may have some young Geology but not much exposed. Those rocks you see are some of the oldest basement rocks exposed on earth. Very cool stuff IMO. They look like the flow but in actuality they are just scoured by glaciers to look like that. I can see faulting in them too. We have the same geology in Northern Canada (Newfoundland), the Adirondacks (they are called spines), and in Maine.....jdcamb

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Originally posted by Echo
Damn. Do you realize how much this thread is gonna cost me?! :dead:
If it puts that avatar smile on your face, it's more than worth it :)

Your avatar always make me smile - good stuff!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Originally posted by KPicha
What's a "basement rock"? Neat explanation on the rocks. I've always had a fascination with geology.
Very old granite and metamorphic rocks found in the continental crust. These rocks make up the continental shield. Basically the rocks that make up the continental shelf of each continent. For a more detailed explantion go here ......jdcamb

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Originally posted by jdcamb
Very old granite and metamorphic rocks found in the continental crust. These rocks make up the continental shield. Basically the rocks that make up the continental shelf of each continent. for a more detailed explantion go here ......jdcamb
Cool :cool: Thanks for the link.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't know if you realise how many monkeys are going to show up after seing theses.

I think I found my connection flight stop back from nz, a couple of weeks is still considered connection right?

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by Deyv
I don't know if you realise how many monkeys are going to show up after seing theses.

I think I found my connection flight stop back from nz, a couple of weeks is still considered connection right?
No sorry you are only allowd one or the other.. non of this have your cake and eat it too stuf! ;)

dr.harmonica

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Wait until Trond posts the pictures from Oppdal. That's a great area both for downhilling and trail riding. (Oppdal will be hosting the Norwegian downhill championship this year)

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by dr.harmonica
Wait until Trond posts the pictures from Oppdal. That's a great area both for downhilling and trail riding. (Oppdal will be hosting the Norwegian downhill championship this year)
Welcome to RM!

Is there a big DH series in Norway just outa curriosity..?

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Oppdal:

Espen on RM!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
**SCHWING**

TOTAL Awesomeness... I now have a month's worth of wallpaper... :)

Man.... I keep looking out my office window and it's so nice out... I wanna get outta here now!!!

dr.harmonica

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Originally posted by slcpunk21
Welcome to RM!

Is there a big DH series in Norway just outa curriosity..?
No, it's real small. 5-6 races each year. everybody knows each other really well. No teams with vans and flashy clothes. Just enthusiasts spending all their money on travelling to the races and hooking up with friends. It's a real down to earth grassroots cup.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Espen
Actually, there are beaches in Oppdal too:p
Water is not like in SoCal, but bathable for tough guys and girls.

e
Is it a bit nipply there in the summer...???

:devil:

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
No, it's real small. 5-6 races each year. everybody knows each other really well. No teams with vans and flashy clothes. Just enthusiasts spending all their money on travelling to the races and hooking up with friends. It's a real down to earth grassroots cup.
So the way it should be ;)

That's awsome dude! 5-6 races isn't to shabby!

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Originally posted by N8
Is it a bit nipply there in the summer...???

:devil:

Summer can be good 70-90F, water 40-75max, but again, take a look at the map. It's far north. The "Gulf Stream"(Golfstrømmen) makes nice temperatures compared to other places on the same latitude.

Midnight sun far north is awsome!!! I was in Narvik last summer with incredibe weather and the sun is shining at 2 o'clock AM.

E

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Espen
Summer can be good 70-90F, water 40-75max, but again, take a look at the map. It's far north. The "Gulf Stream"(Golfstrømmen) makes nice temperatures compared to other places on the same latitude.

Midnight sun far north is awsome!!! I was in Narvik last summer with incredibe weather and the sun is shining at 2 o'clock AM.

E

I know what you mean about the summer times that far north. I lived for a year and a half about 1500 miles off the coast of Alaska in the Aleutian Islands back in the early 1980's.

It was a blast... midnight picinics and salmon fishing till 3AM.

Our temps ranged from mid 20'sF - 50F winter to summer.

Too bad there weren't mountain bikes back then. :(

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Originally posted by N8
I know what you mean about the summer times that far north. I lived for a year and a half about 1500 miles off the coast of Alaska in the Aleutian Islands back in the early 1980's.

It was a blast... midnight picinics and salmon fishing till 3AM.

Our temps ranged from mid 20'sF - 50F winter to summer.

Too bad there weren't mountain bikes back then. :(
That sounds amazing man!

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by Trond
heh, we have a place called Hell too :devil:
And I suppose during the winter it freezes over? :D

I vote for a sticky for this thread!! :thumb: