Quantcast

OEM tyres

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Does anyone actually know if the rumours about OEM tyres being rubbish compound are true? I've heard white logo'ed Maxxis (OEM spec) tyres are some kind of junk compound, but I can't fathom why they'd do that? It can't cost much less surely, plus they'd be damaging their own reputation for repeat sales. They're labelled the same Max Terra or whatever as retail tyres are as well.

I can't get along with the OEM Wide Trail 2.5 Minion that came stock on my new bike. I've run Minion DHFs on every bike I've owned from DH to XC for the past 10 years and this is the least Minion-y feel I've ever had. It came stock on a 29mm WTB rim and didn't feel fantastic, but I've recently switched to a 25mm rim internal DT rim. Since doing that, I've washed out on three corners on local tracks. I initially put it down to pressure being wrong but experimenting hasn't helped. Now I've got 9 friggen stitches in my arm after today's latest misadventure and I'm finally deciding that new tyre cost vs. medical bills means I should just swap in a brand new tyre to see.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I bought OEM Magic Marys off one local guy, a new pair for $20. They say "Performance line" on the sidewall and are super hard. I use them as winter tires in snow. They are useless for normal trails.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh god yes. Just ask @mtg

Maxxis makes some SHIT tires for oem accounts.

And I can vouch because he gave me one.

I don't pay attention to shit anymore because I hate mountainbiking inc™ but yeah they used to be white logos.

I think your bigger problem honestly though is that the WT minions have neutered little short knobs. Seriously, go put one next to a normal way the fuck overpriced aftermarket not WT version.

Gonna need to see some pics of those stitches before we go any further though.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Oh god yes. Just ask @mtg

Maxxis makes some SHIT tires for oem accounts.

And I can vouch because he gave me one.

I don't pay attention to shit anymore because I hate mountainbiking inc™ but yeah they used to be white logos.

I think your bigger problem honestly though is that the WT minions have neutered little short knobs. Seriously, go put one next to a normal way the fuck overpriced aftermarket not WT version.

Gonna need to see some pics of those stitches before we go any further though.
Take off your tinfoil hat. Whatever you got from me was probably 26" and had been sitting around in a warehouse for a long time.
The white logos are for OEM tires without retail packaging. It sucks paying extra for packaging that you then have to pay to throw away. The different logo color is to control the sales channels.
We have both at GG. The main tire spec uses the white label tires that we buy sans packaging. For lower volume options, we use the yellow hot patch tires in retail packaging. I've gone back and forth, and 3c Maxx Terra is 3c Max Terra, regardless of logo color.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I did have to surrender 10% of my sense of humor when switching to big wheels. So, yeah, makes sense I missed the joke.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Should have bought Kendas, then you'd have been expecting to wash out, worn your PPE and none of this would have been an issue.

Maxxis does make cheap OEM only tires, but they're sans buzzwords, if you're OEM tires still have the cool marketing lingo on the sidewall, they're the same as retail, but the white lettering will slow you down 6.25%. No clue if they make Minion WTs in a cheap OEM spec, but I used to have a couple DHFs single-wall wire bead OEM specials, they were not good, but at least the weighed a lot.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I do think the woo is onto something with the WT tread. Not sure its because of the wider casing, but the side knobs do not seem to be as meaty. They just look different when you look down on them on a ride. Like moar rounder shimz or something.

Plus you said you put the WT on a i25mm rim? I'm running my WT minions on 30 an there is a little bit difference in that drift point. I find I have to lay it over more than non-WT minions of the past to get the same turning effect. Perhaps the narrower rim is making that worse?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Perhaps the narrower rim is making that worse?
Yeah, gonna chuck a normal 2.3 on this afternoon. Maybe the WT bag width hates the teeny rims or something.

PS > I'm entirely aware this is possibly user error, I've just never ridden a less Minion-y Minion.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The 2.5WT DHF side knobs are pretty far over when mounted on i25 rims. Maxxis recommends 30-35 inner width rims.

Maxxis DHF WT.jpg

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The 2.5WT DHF side knobs are pretty far over when mounted on i25 rims. Maxxis recommends 30-35 inner width rims.
Yep. Came specced on a i29 rim so I figured 4mm wouldn't make it unridabru... I might take it off and give it away with the old wheelset when that sells.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I don't get the opinions about the WT DHF being different than a smaller (presumably 2.3 or older, non-WT 2.5) DHF. It feels exactly the same to me, just scaled up all around versus the non-WT. A pic for comparison - 2.5 WT on a 30mm internal rim on the left and a 2.3 on a 27mm internal rim on the right. Same tread compound and pretty much the same profile, just bigger and feels the same (if anything grippier) to me.
Minions.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't get the opinions about the WT DHF being different than a smaller (presumably 2.3 or older, non-WT 2.5) DHF. It feels exactly the same to me, just scaled up all around versus the non-WT. A pic for comparison - 2.5 WT on a 30mm internal rim on the left and a 2.3 on a 27mm internal rim on the right. Same tread compound and pretty much the same profile, just bigger and feels the same (if anything grippier) to me.View attachment 127731

You can tell the knobs are shorter even in your pic. #nofoolin

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's 2018 and we are just figuring this out? Hello OEM forks, shocks, brakes, tires, etc. Manufacturers have been doing this forever to bring their pricepoints down.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
IMG_20170826_113256.jpg
27.5 2.5 WT

IMG_20170826_113229.jpg

27.5 2.6

So WT gives enlarged sidewalls, for sweet float over tech(since riding fast is scary)and other than making lizards smile why the hell would I want weaker awkward tires?

I will join Kidwoo in the curmudgen corner...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The 2.5 has 500+ miles on it and the 2.3 is fresh, maybe 55-60 miles on it. If I get my hands on a fresh 2.5 soon I'll measure them.
That has 500 miles on it? What are you riding out there, bunnies and unicorns? My tires look like that after one day. I guess it pays to ride in actual dirt. Or requires paying a lot more to ride in the shitrock we call 'dirt' (sic).

For reals doh, I haven't measured them but I've seen a ton of those wt things on ibis dentist bikes a buddy of mine sells and they definitely do not look like normal minion molds to me. Looks like all the nubbies are missing a mm or three.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That has 500 miles on it? What are you riding out there, bunnies and unicorns? My tires look like that after one day. I guess it pays to ride in actual dirt. Or requires paying a lot more to ride in the shitrock we call 'dirt' (sic).
I ride on rock here too
IMG_1514 (3).JPG

But seriously, mostly dirt here and tires go a long way if you don't poke holes in them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So WT gives enlarged sidewalls, for sweet float over tech(since riding fast is scary)and other than making lizards smile why the hell would I want weaker awkward tires?
Wow! That's fucked! so glad I've stayed true.

#264LYFyo #5594EVAbrah

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not when you reach my age and already happen to have a coal shed rammed full of the things.

Ps. apparently someone has finally found 650b wheels moar fun

Last edited:

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Wow! That's fucked! so glad I've stayed true.

#264LYFyo #5594EVAbrah
24s for the win. Why mtb seems to improve shit in the worst possible ways, when dentists are convinced weight is more important than durability the lizards laugh all the way to the bank. Modern mtbs consumable componentry means it is in the stand way more often than I arrogantly think is appropriate. Which is probably why my ghetto dartmoor sees more miles these days.

Slightly OT
http://www.commongroundbikes.com
but, seeing things like this makes me hate lizards a little less.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Guessing you weren't around mtb in the early 90s?
Bottom brackets aside I actually have way less problems with durability these days.
I'm not stupid enough to buy 3" taller/wider wheels/tyres that weigh less than my 26 does though.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
My kona hardtail had z1 with those sweet jerry garcia RF cranks, 94ish I think, and I suppose that is my gripe: Decent evovled product exists, if can you find it before it dies from lack sales, thereby justifying their vomitting of shoddy "improvements" across the industry.

Thats why I come here, thanks to UdiGaryWoo my bikes ride great... I just hate myself.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I remember back in the day and don't try to tell me that the bikes were better then.

As long as you do some maintenance on your bike it will work just fine.
Or you really bought some shit parts.

Been working with bikes for 20 years and they have never worked better in general.

Even a cheap bike today is awesome compared to what was.
I ride terrain on my 6inch bike that I rode with a DH bike just a couple of years ago. Not as fast but I can use the same bike for a "xc" ride without changing any parts.

I seriously think my latest bike is the best.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What does that mean for us old coots who were riding trail long before "mountain bikes" were "invented"?
You bought what you could, and used community members where they would help.
After breaking a few, my subsequent frames had gussets brazed into them to keep them from failing on jumps. Fix provided by a neighbor.

Don't ask me how many sets of rigid road forks I trashed before getting hooked up on some custom garage made straight tube "BMX" style forks.

You people have it so easy. :rofl:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Chucked a 2.3 Minion DD DHF Max Terra on the front 25mm to try. Profile looks "squarer" and less transition gap onto the sideknobs. We went riding after overnight rain though and the trails were in velcro hero dirt condition so I could have run a 6 year old hard compound Nevegal installed backwards and still been impressed by the grip.

At this stage though, I'm blaming everything but myself for my bad luck, so I'll make a blanket non-scientific statement that the WT tyres are completely unrideabru on anything less than a 27mm rim. I'm lucky there there wasn't a fireball and explosion just from trying it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I fondled some 'normal' minion dhfs next to some WTs yesterday.

I'm changing my assessment. The knobs on the WT are wider/longer but not proportionally taller. They're just effectively shorter. So like, you know, same thing really. :D