Quantcast

Shimano XTR Trail 2011

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
those are the ugliest brakes i have ever seen.
the sicklines article doesnt mention what their claim was on that black piece
Those cooling fins are part of the brake pad, not the brake caliper. They are supposed to significantly reduce heat and fade in the brakes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are they essentially Heat sinks?
Yeah. I'm guessing they're aluminum, and are just sticking up there to help disperse heat. The fins are so they've got a lot of surface area, and thus transfer heat to the surrounding air faster.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
The "cool" thing about the brakes is the ceramic pistons to reduce heat transfer to the brake fluid. The heat has to go somewhere, so... cooling fins. For those who don't like them, there is the XC brake.

I'm really liking the looks of the wheels. Just what I've been waiting for.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I wonder if that XTR lever pushes the same amount of fluid as the four pot lever, would make a great franken brake if it did, I guess we'll see as the pros might rock them like that.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Well..... No, they are bound to look like jewellery in the flesh. But I'm just a little amused that after all these months of hearing how XX is a revolution in front shifting and that 1:1.5 gear ratio is the main reason, that shimano have stuck with 12t gap for their 2 ring set up. Still doubt the need for xtr on a trailbike when slx/xt is so good, but I'm sure plenty will buy it and even more will want it! At least its a view of what will be available in my price range in 1-2years.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Well..... No, they are bound to look like jewellery in the flesh. But I'm just a little amused that after all these months of hearing how XX is a revolution in front shifting and that 1:1.5 gear ratio is the main reason, that shimano have stuck with 12t gap for their 2 ring set up. Still doubt the need for xtr on a trailbike when slx/xt is so good, but I'm sure plenty will buy it and even more will want it! At least its a view of what will be available in my price range in 1-2years.
Yep. As a SRAM user, I follow XO/XX because that's what X9 will be in 2-3 years. Wouldn't even think about buying anything above X9, too expensive for too little an "improvement" -- fractional weight loss, supposed increased "crispness" in shifts, neither of which I can detect while riding.

Who builds Shimano's disc brakes? Shimano? Someone else?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Nope. Though I can't quite figure out if the big ring is some proprietary job (wouldn't surprise me) or if that is just a sleek chainring cover...
I'd suspect the 3-ring crank has chainring bolts that thread in from the other side like 7900 Dura Ace. The XC double crank has standard bolts. The 38-26t has me stumped.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I suspect the 26-38 is a nut cap with the bolt coming in from the back side, making it the same crank as the 3 ring but looks clean, until you install a bash ring.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Shoes looks good. A little lower profile than the 5.10. I wonder how sticky the soles is on the non spd.
Mueller (Mulestar) has a pair of them in white and it's the same Vibram sole as on these black ones. He said it's a grip midway between Vans waffle sole and a 5.10 if that helps.

I seriously don't see or read any difference between these and the two other current white models though. Maybe a cheaper synthetic material for the uppers?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Trail Wheels look really good too!! I suspect we will see quite a few 4x riders on them since they have the 15mm axle on them now.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The 38-26t has me stumped.
in what way? I'm running a 36-28 right now (with an 11-34 cassette), and have never had better shifting up front. even with a gummed-up cable and hose. coupled with an 11-36 in the rear, that 38-26 sounds like it would give a very useful range of gears... I might prefer a 38-28, but whatever...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
in what way? I'm running a 36-28 right now (with an 11-34 cassette), and have never had better shifting up front. even with a gummed-up cable and hose. coupled with an 11-36 in the rear, that 38-26 sounds like it would give a very useful range of gears... I might prefer a 38-28, but whatever...
It had me stumped in how the rings bolted to the crank.

Quoted in that post:

Nope. Though I can't quite figure out if the big ring is some proprietary job (wouldn't surprise me) or if that is just a sleek chainring cover...

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
All this front derailleur stuff is great but what I'd really like to see is 10sp 9-36 on the back with a 27t or 28t single up front and an appropriately sized bashy and lightweight upper chain guide. Plus dual tap to smash through the gears quickly.

I reckon that would be an awesome trail groupset. Get to it please Shimano.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I'm pissed there's no 20mm option on the wheels. Time for Sram to release some XO wheels with the 20mm axle to complement there 20mm forks.