Quantcast

Shimano XTR Trail 2011

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm pissed there's no 20mm option on the wheels. Time for Sram to release some XO wheels with the 20mm axle to complement there 20mm forks.
I keep thinking we'll see Saint wheels. At any rate, XT has 20mm, and is pretty much the same rim as XTR just no scandium.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I got to see the trail XTR last weekend, the fins on the caliper are a lot smaller and not as bad looking in person, the new pedals I will have ordered very soon, the rest will be as soon as I can afford it.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I got to see the trail XTR last weekend, the fins on the caliper are a lot smaller and not as bad looking in person, the new pedals I will have ordered very soon, the rest will be as soon as I can afford it.
CRC has the prices up for most of the new 980 XTR. Prices are right on par or lower than with the 970. Pedals are like 115$:thumb:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
It will be a few weeks before I order it all.
Fashion Victim!:rofl:

Joking apart, the new XTR trail components are the best looking components I have ever seen in my 15+ years in the MTB scene (the first edition m900 is really nice too, espacially the cranket). Of course I can't comment on the performance, but should be right on par with XTR quality, which is stellar. On that note, the Trail brakeset looks PIMP!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
CRC has the prices up for most of the new 980 XTR. Prices are right on par or lower than with the 970. Pedals are like 115$:thumb:
I got to squeeze my Shimano guy for wholesale price for trail pedals ;) I paid 50% of this amount for my Syncros AM Traverse pedals and they still hold up ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's a question... XTR model num's are up to 980... and seeing as how the grouppo started at 900, they are getting close to topping out the 9xx range. Then what?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Good stuff on the verified weight JVNIXON!

Hoping to see some pondered reviews of the new trail brakes and trail wheelset (aka not just the typical "Shimano payed for the trip" review!)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
There was a big test 9 different disc brakes in December German Bike Magazine.
Funny thing happened during lab test... a new, triple layer rotor as well as pards with radiator melted :O
Since I can't speak German, I can't give any details.
But, if any german-english Monkey could read and summarize at least what Shimano PR and tester say and post it here, it would be great. We could all laugh or so ;)

Scans here
http://hostuje.net/file.php?id=928f3087fd6ebf8450a74f2597cb0f34
write requested code and click "Pobierz Plik" (NOT "download") to get rar file.

img049.jpg

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
The "XTR Melt-down" happened firstly at Fade-Test when constant hand force of 115N was applied on brake lever as many times as needed either to reach maximum of 40 cycles or critical temperature of 400*C was gained and test must have been cancelled. Both XTR XC with organic pads and XTR Trail with metalic pads melted the aluminium "core" of their Ice-Tec-Rotors (alu-core seems to be the alu part of rotor?) and disc rotors deformed!
Practical-test only confirmed the result of Fade-test from lab. During the test ride, all Ice-Tec-Rotors melted. The alu-core of rotor got very soft and "was stuck in combination of greater heat and force required" (my interpretation). Test rider weight was only 75kg / 165lbs.
After they used and destroyed all Ice-tec-Rotors they replaced them with some standard/classic rotors that behaved much better. But even with these brake the mineral oil "rised up all over the set up" (I can't translate this).
The overall result: 3 times total fail!

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
does anyone know if those levers will work with saint 4 piston calipers? i've had two sets of the xt/saint servo wave levers and they both seem to do same thing...the fluid in the reservoir on the rear brake gets really dirty and then the lever goes to the grip. i bleed them and bleed them with the same result so i want to try these maybe...

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Fluider, what did Shimano guy say?
My quick and free translation of answer of Mr. Harald Troost, SH PR man:
Shimano tested all disck brakes under extreme conditions, not only in laboratory but in real practise as well. >The 2nd sentence I dont't understand< We take the test results of the BIKE (magazine) to our knowledge, but we are fully confident wih our own highly developed test methods and new SH XTR disc brakes and Ice-Tec-Technology. Many of our sponsored pro-racers and many international journalists as well have tested these brakes during last months under all thinkable conditions and without doubt considered them positively. Thus we are confident that situation described in this test is not going to happen to end-users.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
A little late to the party but the trail cranks-

The 26-38 is indeed standard 104 bolt pattern and it looks pretty good with a bashring installed. Funny enough, the spider covers look more goofier than a bashring does, they're thick and tall.

On my trailbike i've got an 11-36 cass and 26-38 ring setup and it rocks! Just barely low enough for steep climbs, but the overall range is sweet.

Weenies... the cranks are lighter than XO, XX, and Sixc carbon, only heavier than Next carbon/Ti. Mondraker will tell us how strong they are:D

Now someone please tell me if the Trail brakes are as powerful as R1's! I know they're heavier, but have more rotor clearance, external lever adjustment, and a killer lever blade.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
The XTR feels like it is as powerful as the R1, The lever on the R1 is just so much nicer, better curve, nice wide blade.

I don't know if I would buy the XTR if I had rode the R1 first.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Thanks for the info,

The new Trail brake lever is super wide and has the gripper dimples, did you try the Race brake? It has a narrower blade.

I haven't seen the Ice rotors in 6 bolt, only centerlock...anyone seen em in 6 bolt? I dunno if i would go for em anyway, it's like the r der, it may get bent or broken so i don't shell out for them. But then again, if these rotors truely do keep the brakes cool then they would be worth it.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
A little late to the party but the trail cranks-

The 26-38 is indeed standard 104 bolt pattern and it looks pretty good with a bashring installed. Funny enough, the spider covers look more goofier than a bashring does, they're thick and tall.

On my trailbike i've got an 11-36 cass and 26-38 ring setup and it rocks! Just barely low enough for steep climbs, but the overall range is sweet.

Weenies... the cranks are lighter than XO, XX, and Sixc carbon, only heavier than Next carbon/Ti. Mondraker will tell us how strong they are:D

Now someone please tell me if the Trail brakes are as powerful as R1's! I know they're heavier, but have more rotor clearance, external lever adjustment, and a killer lever blade.
Just curious, but you have the Race cranks if they're dual ring right? I thought the trail cranks were the triple...?

I ask cause I haven't done the research on the difference in spiders between the two. Is there a difference? If I wanted to have a dual crank, then convert to single ring later, could I?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
The trail cranks are in 24/32/42 triple or 26/38 double that can run a bash, the race is a double that can't run a bash ring.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If I wanted to have a dual crank, then convert to single ring later, could I?
It's all about chainline, the size of the chainrings you want to run, and whether you want the option to run a bash ring. When running 2 rings the dual crank will have better chainline. In single ring the triple will have the best chainline (using the middle position). The bolt pattern on the double cranks limits how small a ring you can run in both positions, so this could be an issue for you.
The ideal crank for you is the Lightning with flipflop dual/triple 64/104 spider. Even in dual ring configuration it can take a bashring (though that ring may need to be dremmelled a little). Pricey though.
If they're too expensive my advice is to get a triple crank. More flexibility and you probably won't notice the chainline when using it as a double.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Yup, these guys are right, the only double that's 104 is the 26/38. Or get the triple, same arms. It's funny, for the longest time even Shimano USA didn't know. Now the docs are on their site if you look hard enough.

I actually like the chainline of the trail cranks, because the middle ring is in closer than on the race setup, so when i'm in the middle i can be up high in the cass and be able to backpedal, and it runs quiet. The granny does put the chain really close to the tire if you run a 2.5 though. Not that it matters, no gravity oriented rider would buy the race crank since there aren't any single rings available in that bolt circle hence no guide compatability.

4X, thanks for those pics. I'm still kind of suprised that you like the R1 levers more but there are really nice too. No doubt the Trail levers are really short which puts the lever close to the grip and the shifter has to go on the other side like the old days but as long as all of the controls are in the right place it doesn't really matter.

It seems Formula and Shimano are complete opposites in brake design...

The R1 has a long lever blade and high pressure hose, tiny MC and huge caliper pistons.

XTR has a little blade, large MC and average caliper pistons. That's why i'm so curious about the power. R1's have serious bite, i wonder which one is still holding strong at the end of a descent.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Despite the fact, that both rotors and pads melted, Bike Magazin testers measured very high force applied on brake pads (if I read charts, correctly).
Check linked scans.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The real questioni s though is how many people are actually going to exert the type of forces onto those brakes that would cause them to melt? And doesn't this just mean that they aren't DH capable, which is kind of fair for XTR stuff?

Those cranks actually might make me randy. Despite the Ninjapunk swastika design, I'd have to say they are possibly the hottest cranks I have ever seen.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
No doubt the Trail levers are really short which puts the lever close to the grip and the shifter has to go on the other side like the old days but as long as all of the controls are in the right place it doesn't really matter.
Which is my problem with the XTR I chose poorly and got the I-spec version, so I am stuck with a brake lever that is to far away or a shifter that is to close.

Another advantage of the R1 is brake fluid, which doesn't mind the cold.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Another advantage of the R1 is brake fluid, which doesn't mind the cold.
On the flip side, it doesn't take on water and need to be changed regularly. A while back I had a pair of Deore brakes that went something like 6 years without a bleed. Only did anything about it because I put them on a different bike and needed longer hoses, so I pretty much had to. That would never work with DOT fluid brakes.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
On the flip side, it doesn't take on water and need to be changed regularly. A while back I had a pair of Deore brakes that went something like 6 years without a bleed. Only did anything about it because I put them on a different bike and needed longer hoses, so I pretty much had to. That would never work with DOT fluid brakes.
Is it cause of the minimal amount of fluid or bad seal design? I seldom mess with my MX bike's brakes, and never bother to check my truck,...

Now I am not against the XTR I do have two pair of M970 and one M980 set and I would rather change mineral oil any day over dot4. I just have the R1 for my cold weather bike, and I have grown to really like them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is it cause of the minimal amount of fluid or bad seal design? I seldom mess with my MX bike's brakes, and never bother to check my truck,...

Now I am not against the XTR I do have two pair of M970 and one M980 set and I would rather change mineral oil any day over dot4. I just have the R1 for my cold weather bike, and I have grown to really like them.
To be fair, I don't have R1s, but my The Ones have a little breather hole in the inside of the lever clamp, so they take on water pretty fast. And they're a PITA to bleed. Totally doable but hardly the easiest things ever.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Does anyone know if the new XTR levers/MC's will work with the new style 4 piston Saint calipers? Are the MC diameters the same between the levers?