Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

ruggs

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
Planning to order a sunday (frame only) soon and was wondering if there was any way to get the head angle a little slacker than the claimed 65 with the boxxer. Could I raise the bottom crown? Or is there a headset with a higher than average bottom cup, and still a relatively low top? Hoping to get closer to 64 deg.

Also, I'm ready to buy the frame as soon as I get rid of my current bike but I'm not sure if there even out yet! Anyone know if/when 2008 medium frames will be available? Thanks!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Planning to order a sunday (frame only) soon and was wondering if there was any way to get the head angle a little slacker than the claimed 65 with the boxxer. Could I raise the bottom crown? Or is there a headset with a higher than average bottom cup, and still a relatively low top? Hoping to get closer to 64 deg.

Also, I'm ready to buy the frame as soon as I get rid of my current bike but I'm not sure if there even out yet! Anyone know if/when 2008 medium frames will be available? Thanks!
An external lower cup (FSA Orbit Xtreme 1.5r or Cane Creek XXc to name a couple) and a Boxxer with the stanchions slid down would probably give you around a 64 degree head angle.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
what changes can we expect on the 09 model. Is IH still experimenting with slacker head angels like on Sam's 07 WC rig?
I can't tell you that without receiving a headshot from the sniper outside my window...

:biggrin:

08' frames should be shipping any time now - I'll call the front office for you and see what's up.

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
Question regarding titanium springs....

I'm about 150lbs suited and ready to ride. I've been given a 300lb steel spring to use on my DHX, if I wanted to go for a titanium spring what weight should I run?

Where can I get a titanium spring?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

fluidride in seattle already has 08 frames in. www.fluidride.com give them a call.

go-ride may also have 08 frames in already, those two shops are some of the top selling iron horse dealers in the country

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
fluidride in seattle already has 08 frames in. www.fluidride.com give them a call.

go-ride may also have 08 frames in already, those two shops are some of the top selling iron horse dealers in the country
wow already? go-ride has 2 smalls coming in very soon. the rest should be there in a few months. at least that's what they told me when i ordered my medium last week.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Can anyone tell me if the bolt that goes in the top shock mount (non-driveside) is a standard size available from a hardware store etc. of do I have to call an IronHorse dealer to get a replacement.

mine fell out on the first ride. - is this common?
Should I threadlock it?
For that matter, are there any other bolts I should be worried about and I'll threadlock them at the same time?

Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What year??

The one on the '07 is not completely stock as the head is larger than what you would normally get. Other than that, it is an M6 x 1.00 by 17mm long. I am sure you could get a standard issue part work...maybe put a conical washer under the screw to take up the space/size of the oversized head.

There is a full parts breakdown with part #s and torques on the first page of this post.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
sorry, yeah, it's a 07.

Thanks.

I've bodged a bolt with a conical washer from a V-brake pad in there for the time being. The UK importer has none of these spare bolts in stock so I've ordered a few stainless M6 x 16 countersunk bolts from a bolt supplier.
should I use thread lock for this bolt?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Dest - I'll have an answer for you tomorrow.

Sorry it took so long for the reply - I've got final exams coming up this week, so I'm getting swamped with all kinds of work. My apologies.

:)

MikeL

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
LI NY
For the whole kit I believe it is somewhere around $200.
Guys, the kits are still unavailable as we are still waiting for the 08 links, HOWEVER, complete linkage upgrade kits will be more then 200$. The 07 linkage upgrade kit was 360$, so expect it to be somewhere in that range... I cannot guarantee the final cost yet, as we do not have a confirmed price for the new lower links.

If anyone has any questions, you can always email me at: MikeL@ironhorsebikes.com

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Whoops!

Haven't checked with Mike on the pricing for those in a while... my error, guys.

Once Mike gets some definitive pricing on the new lower link as a seperate item as well as the new lower link included in the linkage kit, I'll post it on the Front Page.

rzarikian

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Hey, I have a 2007 7point3 and would like to upgrade my shock to a DHX but I'm not sure if I have to do anything special to it to make it work properly with the dw-link or should I stay with my IH tuned VAN R. If I do stay with my VAN R what spring would I need if I weigh 220lbs?? I have a 350 now and I can bottom it in a 2ft drop to a street. In a DHX I would use a 400 cause of bottom out protection, plz help!

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
Hey, I have a 2007 7point3 and would like to upgrade my shock to a DHX but I'm not sure if I have to do anything special to it to make it work properly with the dw-link or should I stay with my IH tuned VAN R. If I do stay with my VAN R what spring would I need if I weigh 220lbs?? I have a 350 now and I can bottom it in a 2ft drop to a street. In a DHX I would use a 400 cause of bottom out protection, plz help!
i had a 7 point as well and ran a 350lb spring and i am 160. id say a 450 would be in your range.

rzarikian

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
do you remember your setup and sag??

If you would have to choose between a 400 and 450 what would you go for?? if I get the 450 would it feel THAT stiff or would the diference be almost undetectable from a 400??

MikeL

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
LI NY
Whoops!

Haven't checked with Mike on the pricing for those in a while... my error, guys.

Once Mike gets some definitive pricing on the new lower link as a seperate item as well as the new lower link included in the linkage kit, I'll post it on the Front Page.
Not a problem :cheers:

I will let you guys know when the links get here, that is all we are waiting on... we have everything else.

I will then get final pivot costs as well as costs for the links by themselves :thumb:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
O.K. - just got off the phone with Mike #2 (not to be confused with MikeL. or Mike #1 :) ) from CS and he said that the 08' sticker kits are about 90 days out and should be around $30 USD.

Hope this helps.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
do you remember your setup and sag??

If you would have to choose between a 400 and 450 what would you go for?? if I get the 450 would it feel THAT stiff or would the diference be almost undetectable from a 400??
i know someone in the 210-215 pound range running a 450 spring on their 7.7 he runs about 25 percent sag as he freerides a fair bit

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What's deal with running a Vivid on pre-08 Sundays? Absolute no go? Or will it fit with some bastardising of dials and stuff?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
it will fit but you need to bust out the dremel and hand files and mod the lower link. you just need to file a bit of material to clear the resi.
That's awesome. Cheers for the reply.

... keep in mind that officially, from what I've been told - Iron Horse does NOT recommend or encourage this.
Yeah it's fairly obvious they wouldn't encourage a bunch of MTBers to go hacking at their frames. But given you'd have to buy a new link anyway to run a Vivid then it'd be worth giving it a go first.

DHM

Chimp
Dec 16, 2007
Augsburg, Bavaria
Hey guys,
I know an analog question has already been asked.
I want to give a new colour design to my 07 sunday factory frame (ltd gold), but am from Germany. So I won't send it to the US just for the paintjob.

The agent here told me the warranty wouldn't get invalid, if I'll give the frame a new colour. Is that right?

What's better 2 get the paint off? glassfibre blasting or sand blasting?

Is there any possibility to get (or better edit) the frame decals?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
DHM - I'll get in touch with some paint shops here in the States that might have connections you can use in the EU.

Will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you check the first page of this thread, that's where all the info is permanently kept.

08' sticker kists should be available in about 80 days or so.

Hope this helps.