Quantcast

the random thought thread

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I phones suck! they wouldnt suck if they could cut an apple and light a cigarette. Preferably with a little tiny light saber.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
How did Sperm Whales get there name? I just imagine a whale siding up to an ancient mariners boat and busting a huge whale money shot onto the deck. Then the subsequent swabbing of the deck.

How did Sperm Whales get there name? I just imagine a whale siding up to an ancient mariners boat and busting a huge whale money shot onto the deck. Then the subsequent swabbing of the deck.
"Spermaceti (from Latin sperma meaning "semen", and ceti meaning "whale") is a waxy substance found in the head cavities of the sperm whale (and, in smaller quantites, in the oils of other whales). Spermaceti is created in the spermaceti organ inside the whale's head."

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
"Spermaceti (from Latin sperma meaning "semen", and ceti meaning "whale") is a waxy substance found in the head cavities of the sperm whale (and, in smaller quantites, in the oils of other whales). Spermaceti is created in the spermaceti organ inside the whale's head."
Thats cool. If I ever came upon a Sperm Whale beached on the shore I would have been reluctant to help it get back in the water so I didn't get whale sperm on me. My aversion to sperm has prevented me from ever participating in a guy, guy, girl threesome. Not that the opportunity has ever presented itself....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think its pretty cool how you can adapt to different situations.

Two months ago I stopped wearing one pair of shoes to work, only to have to swap to the safety shoes for when I go in the plant(s). I've always been fairly particular about what shoes I use while I drive as I like some good pedal feedback on the feet, so using these clunking safety shoes was a challenge at first. I think I've finally mastered heal and toeing in them. I executed a whole wack load of sweet-baby-jesus-perfect downshifts tonight; so much so that I ended up taking the long way home.

They really are clogs..

/bongshed

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think its pretty cool how you can adapt to different situations.

Two months ago I stopped wearing one pair of shoes to work, only to have to swap to the safety shoes for when I go in the plant(s). I've always been fairly particular about what shoes I use while I drive as I like some good pedal feedback on the feet, so using these clunking safety shoes was a challenge at first. I think I've finally mastered heal and toeing in them. I executed a whole wack load of sweet-baby-jesus-perfect downshifts tonight; so much so that I ended up taking the long way home.

They really are clogs..

/bongshed
You wear shoes in the Bongshed? You don't have a fine antique Persian rugs in there?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The world is my bongshed.
I like the illicit feeling I get squirreling away in a private place to partake. I feel safer there. When I have to deal with civilians I lose the ability to enjoy the buzz. Like I am 13 and need to hide it from my Mom. Safer that way anyways. Never smoke in front of your children either. It fucks them up.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you have imaginary friends. You should probably balance that out by having imaginary enemies also. It is all covered in the bible if you need an example.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
In cold weather why exactly should I keep my fuel tank more then half full? Just don't know?
that seems excessive. my mom, who is paranoid and overly cautious to the point of irrationality, always said 1/4 tank. maybe in case you're stranded in a whiteout and need heat? or have to creep to the nearest gas station? or because when the lizard people come to take your car there's a chance they'll be more benevolent if there's a decent amount of gas in it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the real risk is with empty space allowing for humidity to condense in your tank. This can theoretically cause ice to block your fuel lines. If you drive regularly this is less of a risk than if a tank lasts a month. As most modern fuels have 10% ethanol this moisture will simply be absorbed into the gas and cause few problems.

In summary moisture really isn't an issue in newer cars with modern fuels. However, lizard people are still a great risk. Leave no room for them in your fuel tank, nor in your back seat. Fill either of them with fuel, or teddy bears. Teddy bears are the only known natural enemy of the lizard people.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Chinese Pork ribs are so much better then BBQ ribs in every way. If you go to the local BBQ place you will pay $12/15 for a trimmed rack in nasty sauce. A quart box of ribs at the Chinese place is $7 and has no sauce.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
You don't seem to go out of your way to tell people how little you care about things. I therefore assume you care deeply about everything.
Spot on. One important thing the writer did not give a fuck to write about is how little fuck we give a about deities.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i spent half of the time that i was supposed to be interviewing a candidate for head of exhibition design watching a sunspot with the shadow of a waving branch in it move across the wall. it was caused by the light reflecting off the mirrored surface of an outdoor sculpture at the museum across the street. it was fucking mesmerizing.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i spent half of the time that i was supposed to be interviewing a candidate for head of exhibition design watching a sunspot with the shadow of a waving branch in it move across the wall. it was caused by the light reflecting off the mirrored surface of an outdoor sculpture at the museum across the street. it was fucking mesmerizing.
Is she hired?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did you know that LSD was first developed in 1938 but the first ACID Trip wasnt taken until 1943? This trip was taken on a bicycle. Happy Thursday.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I lent money to a local entrepreneur. Gladly his business has been a success. He is a local guy. Excon. Family guy extraordinaire. He paid his note and then some. I will miss him.