Quantcast

the random thought thread

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I hate Philips head screws as well, i also hate allen keys and screws. I guess they are fine on bikes when properly torqued but they always wear out and strip, and it pisses me off.

I hate Philips head screws as well, i also hate allen keys and screws. I guess they are fine on bikes when properly torqued but they always wear out and strip, and it pisses me off.
Typically, it's the Allen wrenches that wear - they become rounded by misalignment. Correct this by grinding the worn section off the tip of the wrench and you'll have way fewer damaged fasteners.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn near twenty years ago I used to wrench on industrial machines which almost exclusively used allen heads. I regularly put a 3 ft breaker bar to little 4-6 mm allens. I still have the same set of wrenches with little to no wear. Those machines used quality fasteners and I had nice tools. Never had issues short of really small fasteners that had been permanently loctited into place. Even then the only problems I had was after someone tried to remove them without applying the required heat to loosen the permanent loctite.

Shit bolts or shit tools will produce shit results.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fists of Ham. Sounds Tasty....

Why are Barber shops always related to illicit activities?
i dunno about the activities at mine, but they did warn me not to eat the pizza at the place next store, since one of the hair cutters apparently regularly does the nasty on the food prep table with the pizza chef...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I Bought a telescope from the thrift store. Hell if I can figure this thing out. Just don't know.... When I remove the eyepiece I can see light. When I use the eyepiece I see nothing. No amount of dial adjusting does shit. I paid $15 for this thing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I Bought a telescope from the thrift store. Hell if I can figure this thing out. Just don't know.... When I remove the eyepiece I can see light. When I use the eyepiece I see nothing. No amount of dial adjusting does shit. I paid $15 for this thing.
Haha Neighbors kid figured it out. Totally loving roof access.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you have a bong shed. You're lucky. Keep it to yourself. Never bring strangers into it. Folks can't handle their shit, and have no respect will show up and expect you to give them access. Or the to drunk to drive homies. Put the empty OJ carton back in the fridge fucks... Uh no get a hotel room if you want to cheat on your wife.... I am a idiot thats for sure.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
If you have a bong shed. You're lucky. Keep it to yourself. Never bring strangers into it. Folks can't handle their shit, and have no respect will show up and expect you to give them access. Or the to drunk to drive homies. Put the empty OJ carton back in the fridge fucks... Uh no get a hotel room if you want to cheat on your wife.... I am a idiot thats for sure.
sounds like you need to make a new remote treehouse bongshed

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Cotton balls liberally soaked in Vaseline, (pack them in an old film canister) makes killer fire starter.
Another is to save your cardboard toilet paper / towel rolls, squish them and stuff them into one un-squished roll until it's full, toss a couple in your camping gear and always have fire starting material to kick off your kindling.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Another is to save your cardboard toilet paper / towel rolls, squish them and stuff them into one un-squished roll until it's full, toss a couple in your camping gear and always have fire starting material to kick off your kindling.
You can also roll up strips of corrugated cardboard. Dip in melted wax, they will always stay dry and have a long burn time. Hold the rolls together with a little wire. You can also mix in a little lighter fluid into the melted wax for a quicker light. Just a little lighter fluid and only after your heat source has been removed, have a fire extinguisher close by.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been looking for real estate in a few areas around the country. When I tell the folks I speak with they seem confused when I tell them in the top 4 reasons I would consider moving to a area is cycling access. The agent from North Carolina said "Honey we don't ride bicycles around here, they got laws against it". A certain Ashville agent I spoke with has a aversion to bugs so strong she doesn't go outside at all, ever. I know more about Toronto then any Agent I have ever spoke to from there. Do they realize we also have the internet?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I have been looking for real estate in a few areas around the country. When I tell the folks I speak with they seem confused when I tell them in the top 4 reasons I would consider moving to a area is cycling access. The agent from North Carolina said "Honey we don't ride bicycles around here, they got laws against it". A certain Ashville agent I spoke with has a aversion to bugs so strong she doesn't go outside at all, ever. I know more about Toronto then any Agent I have ever spoke to from there. Do they realize we also have the internet?
Brevard, not Asheville. Common mistake...Asheville's where the rich, artsy people go to retire and the trustafarians clog the downtown. Other than the Orange Peel, and maybe Wicked Weed brewery that place can eff itself.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I am a rich artsy person...
But if you like a good investment and like bikes, Brevard is where you'll go. Close enough to the artsy. Rich is relative...

The other area to check out is Blowing Rock/Linville.

PM me what exactly you're looking for (land vs. community vs. business opportunity) and I can elaborate...

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
But if you like a good investment and like bikes, Brevard is where you'll go. Close enough to the artsy. Rich is relative...

The other area to check out is Blowing Rock/Linville.

PM me what exactly you're looking for (land vs. community vs. business opportunity) and I can elaborate...
I live in Western NY and have gave up on both community and business opportunity a long time ago.... I am only out to escape the weather here.. Boone seems cool.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I live in Western NY and have gave up on both community and business opportunity a long time ago.... I am only out to escape the weather here.. Boone seems cool.
Boone is cool, if you're twenty-something since it's mostly a college town. But it has a great outdoor community and can't be beat for scenery. The traffic, however, will make you very stabby.

I stopped at Earthfare to pick up some free range, organic, bio-diesel, gluten-free, sustainable, farm to table, non-animal tested, snacks and saw a cute college girl doing yoga in the aisle while shopping. So there is that.

Sep 11, 2015
Brevard, not Asheville. Common mistake...Asheville's where the rich, artsy people go to retire and the trustafarians clog the downtown. Other than the Orange Peel, and maybe Wicked Weed brewery that place can eff itself.
The Orange Peel should be a great place to see live music, but every time I've gone there, I've been annoyed with the crowd. They all have unkempt, patchouli-reeking dreads that they swing around like a super-heady cat-o-nine-tails whip.

Although, every time I've been there, I've been alone, so maybe that's why I was so annoyed. I'm definitely more easily annoyed when I'm alone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only time I was in Asheville ate at some forgettable restaurant. When people left their outside tables gutter punks and other street urchins would move in and collect any uneaten food. Management seemed to not only accept this but was complicit. I am down with not wasting food and helping those in need, but please, Hippies Use The Backdoor!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I recently reached out to a guy who bought one of my guitars a few years ago about buying it back (medical bills forced sale) He responds that he'd consider selling it for the right price, and that "it's only been played 1-2 hours since he bought it" ... almost 3 years ago. :disgust: Guitars aren't baseball cards, you play them, you don't collect them.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The only time I was in Asheville ate at some forgettable restaurant. When people left their outside tables gutter punks and other street urchins would move in and collect any uneaten food. Management seemed to not only accept this but was complicit. I am down with not wasting food and helping those in need, but please, Hippies Use The Backdoor!
Right before I moved to Asheville a friend related a story to me about his recent dining experience there. As he and his wife were coming out of a pizza joint with a box of left overs, a young gutter punk asked if they were going to eat the pizza. Before my friend could respond the gutter punk's boyfriend lifted his head out of the trash and asked if was vegetarian.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Good read here:
http://lifehacker.com/the-power-of-mental-models-how-flight-32-avoided-disas-1765022753

That’s why we have human pilots. It’s our job to think about what might happen, instead of what is.
:clapping:

And in keeping with the thread:

Hey douchbag, tailgating me does not make the car in front of me go any faster. Thank you for trying now please drive off a cliff.
That's usually when I start creeping back down to the actual speed limit. Nothing pisses off a tail gating pickup truck more than that.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006