Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
True story, I passed a guy WALKING his ebike up a hill on my ride last night.
I called out a couple riding on a trail here yesterday. When the passed I said (audiably) “looks like you aren’t even working hard”. To which they said “wha?”, I’m sure they heard me, but then they shut up.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I called out a couple riding on a trail here yesterday. When the passed I said (audiably) “looks like you aren’t even working hard”. To which they said “wha?”, I’m sure they heard me, but then they shut up.
I keep it simple I just yell

BOOOOOOOOO EBIKES

I've had a few get pretty butt hurt :monkeydance:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Really? Damn, that's depressing. It certainly didn't used to be like that.
I can only assume that he meant it as a good thing. As in the trails are not made easy or zomg flowy just because it’s a bike trail.
yeah-i meant rough, rocky, rooty trails not built for biking but now ridden on. the worst ones out there are the ones that they’ve tried to “fix” in recent years.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
BOOOOO EBIKES!!!!

only till they run out of battery. Then they are just a 40lb wagon you gotta push home :brows:
How fucking weak are you?

Have you though about buying an E-bike to help with that? :brows:

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
How not to do PR in the industry.

The ever/over enthusiastic and cheerful Single Track Sampler broke a carbon Spot (rental) in Moab and broke the plastic handlebar as well. He had a few minor injuries. However, someone from Spot decided to post the following in the comment section below:

"Andrew Lumpkin from Spot here.

First of all, we’re grateful that Alex is okay. Rider safety is our utmost concern and whenever anyone crashes, regardless of cause, it makes us all pause and hope that the rider is healthy.

Regarding the break, we are currently investigating all possibilities of causality, which are manifold. We became aware of the situation on the same day of the crash. We take these situations extremely seriously so we called Alex and Steve immediately, even though we were very busy at Sea Otter. Alex gave us limited information so that he could protect his story and his sensational reveal.

All of our bikes are tested to exceed ISO standards, EN standards and, in addition, meet our stringent in-house standards. Relating to this break, we test our frames to failure in a machine that puts over 3,000 lbf vertical force through the bottom bracket while allowing the axles to move in any direction—it’s designed to replicate the worst-case huck-to-flat scenario. In addition to testing all of our frames to optimize structure, and ultimately, failure mode, we test many competitors’ frames in the same ASTM intended use levels to ensure that we exceed their results. Yes, we buy premium carbon frames (many brands mentioned in this thread) at retail and destroy them to study the results and better our frames. It’s an expensive exercise that is well worth the cost.

In our initial analysis, one issue is apparent—the shock was grossly under-pressured and the compression under-damped. It should have had approximately 60psi (33%) more pressure in the shock! Although it had been reported that he hadn’t been bottoming out, many frames in the footage show that the o-ring was off or at least at the end of its travel. Only yesterday were we privy to this additional evidence. It’s up to the rider to notice and remedy such a setup issue. Alex’s intuition was that something was wrong, but he continued to send it.

The purpose of a spring-damper unit is to absorb the energy from the trail or the rider when riding in uneven terrain. If the spring-damper unit is under-inflated and under-damped, it prevents the spring damper unit from absorbing enough of the energy to protect the frame. With this inadequate setup/trail conditions, if you repeatedly deliver a high spike load to the frame, it will likely fail. We hereby explicitly state that if you ride any of our bikes with such inadequate setup, sooner or later expect the same result. Ask any other manufacturer/expert in the field, and they will tell you EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If the frame is not protected from severe bottom-out events, all bets are off—THE FRAME WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY. Have we had a few broken frames since we started selling them two years ago? Of course. Who hasn’t? There’s nothing new here; this is basic physics. There is nothing inferior about our frames.

Then there’s the next factor: the [at least] three crashes on rocky terrain. As we all learned with the famous Minnaar crash last year, crazy things happen in crashes, even to downhill bikes. To define this bike as brand new is misleading due to these crashes and entirely inadequate air pressure and damping setup with the severe riding conditions.

Riding aggressive trails aggressively requires suspension adjustments to protect yourself and your equipment. One very important lesson that’s apparent is to always inspect your bike (frame and components) thoroughly, especially when you suspect that something is wrong. This final crash was avoidable. Again, we are extremely grateful that Alex is okay. We will report back when our investigation is complete.

-Andrew"

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
How not to do PR in the industry.

The ever/over enthusiastic and cheerful Single Track Sampler broke a carbon Spot (rental) in Moab and broke the plastic handlebar as well. He had a few minor injuries. However, someone from Spot decided to post the following in the comment section below:

"Andrew Lumpkin from Spot here.

First of all, we’re grateful that Alex is okay. Rider safety is our utmost concern and whenever anyone crashes, regardless of cause, it makes us all pause and hope that the rider is healthy.

Regarding the break, we are currently investigating all possibilities of causality, which are manifold. We became aware of the situation on the same day of the crash. We take these situations extremely seriously so we called Alex and Steve immediately, even though we were very busy at Sea Otter. Alex gave us limited information so that he could protect his story and his sensational reveal.

All of our bikes are tested to exceed ISO standards, EN standards and, in addition, meet our stringent in-house standards. Relating to this break, we test our frames to failure in a machine that puts over 3,000 lbf vertical force through the bottom bracket while allowing the axles to move in any direction—it’s designed to replicate the worst-case huck-to-flat scenario. In addition to testing all of our frames to optimize structure, and ultimately, failure mode, we test many competitors’ frames in the same ASTM intended use levels to ensure that we exceed their results. Yes, we buy premium carbon frames (many brands mentioned in this thread) at retail and destroy them to study the results and better our frames. It’s an expensive exercise that is well worth the cost.

In our initial analysis, one issue is apparent—the shock was grossly under-pressured and the compression under-damped. It should have had approximately 60psi (33%) more pressure in the shock! Although it had been reported that he hadn’t been bottoming out, many frames in the footage show that the o-ring was off or at least at the end of its travel. Only yesterday were we privy to this additional evidence. It’s up to the rider to notice and remedy such a setup issue. Alex’s intuition was that something was wrong, but he continued to send it.

The purpose of a spring-damper unit is to absorb the energy from the trail or the rider when riding in uneven terrain. If the spring-damper unit is under-inflated and under-damped, it prevents the spring damper unit from absorbing enough of the energy to protect the frame. With this inadequate setup/trail conditions, if you repeatedly deliver a high spike load to the frame, it will likely fail. We hereby explicitly state that if you ride any of our bikes with such inadequate setup, sooner or later expect the same result. Ask any other manufacturer/expert in the field, and they will tell you EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If the frame is not protected from severe bottom-out events, all bets are off—THE FRAME WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY. Have we had a few broken frames since we started selling them two years ago? Of course. Who hasn’t? There’s nothing new here; this is basic physics. There is nothing inferior about our frames.

Then there’s the next factor: the [at least] three crashes on rocky terrain. As we all learned with the famous Minnaar crash last year, crazy things happen in crashes, even to downhill bikes. To define this bike as brand new is misleading due to these crashes and entirely inadequate air pressure and damping setup with the severe riding conditions.

Riding aggressive trails aggressively requires suspension adjustments to protect yourself and your equipment. One very important lesson that’s apparent is to always inspect your bike (frame and components) thoroughly, especially when you suspect that something is wrong. This final crash was avoidable. Again, we are extremely grateful that Alex is okay. We will report back when our investigation is complete.

-Andrew"

See

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/the-living-link-has-died-broken-spot-bike-creates-much-butturt.280098/

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That's a bummer for that guy......

......as for Spot, if they consider that 'hucking'.......

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Say what you will about Spot and crab0n bikes, but I've got a new term to enjoy: Category 5 mountain bikes.

In fact, I should start a new bike company called "Category 5".

Obviously the DH model will be "The Hurricane" and the e-duro bike will be "The Gary". I look forward to molting my skin and developing a taste for live rodents.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can we talk about how annoying that guy is?

What's the time stamp of the crash? I need to sample it and put it on a loop.
his excessive but well groomed facial hair is indicative of any of the following:

-hipster
-vegan
-fixie or penny farthing enthusiast
-beer snob
-closet e-bike fanatic
-lizard
-mtbr regular
-trustafarian
-considered buying an ellesworth

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
thank god this site doesn't autoplay youtube videos. who can I pay to ensure I never see an "Alex" / Singletrack Sampler vid?

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

What's the time stamp of the crash? I need to sample it and put it on a loop.
I suppose I don't like energy bunny type youtubers very much and they get on your nerves after a while (Live free! Ride hard! Get stoked!). I prefer Phil Kmetz or Seth. But I wish them well in their ventures.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
he's the kind of guy who if he was part of a group ride i'd have to quietly pedal away from and avoid entirely before my entire day was ruined.
he's also the personality that keeps me riding solo 90% of the time, just in case.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In fact, I should start a new bike company called "Category 5".

Obviously the DH model will be "The Hurricane" and the e-duro bike will be "The Gary".
Hahaha FPMSL man. Cheers! I owe you a beer. :cheers:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I prefer Phil Kmetz or Seth
Aren't they all just the same person with different stick on beards?. I like the one with the big lips on it best. He talks a lot of shite when wearing that one but somehow can actually ride a little better.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Single Track Sampler is the absolute WORST. He's everything wrong with the whole trailbike-vlogging-on-youtube concept in one contrived package.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Aren't they all just the same person with different stick on beards?. I like the one with the big lips on it best. He talks a lot of shite when wearing that one but somehow can actually ride a little better.
The only YourTub bike riders worth a fuck are the Trail Peak homies. They just ride their bikes and don't say much other than "YEEEEW!!!". Most importantly, they send it pretty fucking hard.

Last edited: