Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The author listens to women too much and doesn't have enough bikes.

I own 12 bikes (one being an Ebike) and hundreds of ex GFs.
If somehow I could only wrap my cold dead hands around one bike while the others burned in hell around me that bike would be a 4X hardtail.
If I could reach two the other would actually be a roadbike.

One of those ex GFs took a hammer to a bike of mine once. Moral here is: Don't trubst them. or maybe it's don't get caught with your cock inside another one. I was never that great with morals.
HBD @Gary!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
lol

"ASG International is headquartered [...] in the center of the Silicon Valley of the Italian sporting goods industry."

I wish it was plain 'ol Silicon Valley VC guys so I could laugh out loud at their investment decision.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
As I commented there, the author decided that if he was going to have only one "bicycle" it was going to be a 25kg, mega expensive, limited-range pedalec moped that he isn't allowed to enter races with, nor ride in a lot of MTB venues worldwide. Yet we are somehow to accept that this isn't lizard driven rubbish sneaking up to force feed us more e-bike upgrade bullshit?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
As I commented there, the author decided that if he was going to have only one "bicycle" it was going to be a 25kg, mega expensive, limited-range pedalec moped that he isn't allowed to enter races with, nor ride in a lot of MTB venues worldwide. Yet we are somehow to accept that this isn't lizard driven rubbish sneaking up to force feed us more e-bike upgrade bullshit?
I mean if your main use case is "going shopping at the market and maybe ride some single track" it's pretty evident no acutal mountainbike will come out on top. Here's Matt Wragg's dream bike:

"Then I got a girlfriend. She made it clear to me that she would not continue dating a man who did not have a car. This seemed reasonable, so I booked some lessons and got my driving test done."

How could you take anything coming from this writer seriously after that statement? "Then i got a gig at pinkbike. They made it clear they would not continue paying me if i didn't contrive some absurd clickbaity scenario that made an e-bike my choice for an only bike. This seemed reasonable."

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
"Then I got a girlfriend. She made it clear to me that she would not continue dating a man who did not have a car. This seemed reasonable, so I booked some lessons and got my driving test done."
:panic:

I am looking forward to the PB post about his breakup, and how he sold his ebike and now rides a 26" ss steel hardtail.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I logged in to my Pinko Bikey account for the first time in a year just to leave the following comment. I can only hope Matt reads it.

Matt Wragg, you're a disgusting human being and I bet CG would be pissed that he was quoted in your trash article. I hope all your bikes break and you're stuck riding your e-moped while your friends laugh.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my take on that article is that the dude is having a mid life crisis

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
my take on that article is that the dude is having a mid life crisis
To each his own. I am probably in a midlife crisis myself and I decided yesterday to grab my old and severely beaten up skateboard that hasn't rolled for about 25 years (1990-ish H-Street Ron Allen), bring it to the shop to change the grip/trucks/bearings/wheels.

I can't wait to ride it tonight. It will be the awesomest cruiser ever and hipsters will shit their pants.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
To each his own. I am probably in a midlife crisis myself and I decided yesterday to grab my old and severely beaten up skateboard that hasn't rolled for about 25 years (1990-ish H-Street Ron Allen), bring it to the shop to change the grip/trucks/bearings/wheels.

I can't wait to ride it tonight. It will be the awesomest cruiser ever and hipsters will shit their pants.
remember, tuck and roll ... tuck and roll ....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Skating is rad. E-bikes = kill list.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

This a good and painful way to get crippled.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
This a good and painful way to get crippled.
Yup. I still have a 10x30 Krypstick / Tracker / Bones board I bought new in 1979?. Ordered it from a clipped out form from a magazine from somewhere in California. Anyway, I brought it out a couple of times and it was not pretty. Oh, I could still get down the road and tack a bit, but to think I used to ride this thing on half-pipes:panic:. Ended up trying to ollie a man-hole cover, success was limited :no:. I got over the cover just fine, but sticking the landing was an issue. :rofl: Let's just say it hurt and leave it at that. My suggestion, is tighten the trucks up a touch more than you have normally. No hills. Take it easy and don't get cocky. Something tells me you won't bounce much better than I did. :D

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/lightest-mountain-bike-373960
"The weight limit has been slightly reduced for the frame and absolutely no jumping of the bike is allowed."
Out of categories.
Some guy geeking out about an XC homebrew that he wanted to make as light as possible, and managed to get under 10lbs? It's not like he's marketing it as the end all be all do everything bike - hell, he's not even marketing it. I think the world needs more people like that, fucking around with their bikes to get it to their own personal 'just right' zone, not less.

Maybe I'm not following the point of your post though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/lightest-mountain-bike-373960
"The weight limit has been slightly reduced for the frame and absolutely no jumping of the bike is allowed."
Out of categories.
Oh yes, I'm familiar with this one. It's been on MTBR quite a bit. It's not intended for riding.

handmade carbon prepreg pad plates made with neodymium magnets epoxied into place and cork fitted for pads (still testing) |
Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/lightest-mountain-bike-373960#zTWLzb6aLO9jlzMq.99

I think you lose all credibility when the bike can't be used for riding. Expert and pro XC racers are looking for stuff as light as possible to maximize their watts to weight ratio, BUT they generally do not go to the extreme lengths of these amateur-weight-shavers. You won't see serious racers riding around with dipshit drilled out stems and cork brake pads, because those people need their bikes to work ALL THE TIME and EVERY TIME during a race. They push their stuff hard. To that end, I think there's a fairly clear and definite line where saving weight becomes dangerous and stupid. This shit is stupid and people coming up with it should be shamed and mocked. Shoot me in the head if I ride with cork brake pads. I'm all for weight savings as a racer, but beyond the point of "stupid", you are subjecting yourself to unnecessary risks. There is no benefit.

Just as bad is the "carbon ceramic rotors". No, they are not. Look up carbon ceramic rotors for cars. This bike just has dipshit carbon FIBER rotors that are not the same thing. They cost about $3-5K per rotor for a car, vs. getting 4 steel rotors for a few hundred dollars. The process to make carbon-ceramic rotors is quite intensive and not just slapping together some carbon fiber.

Condition 0.0.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think you lose all credibility when the bike can't be used for riding. Expert and pro XC racers are looking for stuff as light as possible to maximize their watts to weight ratio, BUT they generally do not go to the extreme lengths of these amateur-weight-shavers. You won't see serious racers riding around with dipshit drilled out stems and cork brake pads, because those people need their bikes to work ALL THE TIME and EVERY TIME during a race. They push their stuff hard. To that end, I think there's a fairly clear and definite line where saving weight becomes dangerous and stupid. This shit is stupid and people coming up with it should be shamed and mocked. Shoot me in the head if I ride with cork brake pads. I'm all for weight savings as a racer, but beyond the point of "stupid", you are subjecting yourself to unnecessary risks. There is no benefit.
this is pretty much why the UCI lizards have minimum weight requirements for road bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
this is pretty much why the UCI lizards have minimum weight requirements for road bikes.
I don’t agree with that though, road bike shit should have no limits on weight and aero, as long as it’s human powered. If it’s dangerous, then Darwin will take care of the rest.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
First video I've ever seen where Phil looks awkward riding. o_O

Redeemed only by his awesome manualling skills.

Ironically I predict this bike will be mainly bought by folk who can't manual it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh yes, I'm familiar with this one. It's been on MTBR quite a bit. It's not intended for riding.

Just as bad is the "carbon ceramic rotors". No, they are not. Look up carbon ceramic rotors for cars. This bike just has dipshit carbon FIBER rotors that are not the same thing. They cost about $3-5K per rotor for a car, vs. getting 4 steel rotors for a few hundred dollars. The process to make carbon-ceramic rotors is quite intensive and not just slapping together some carbon fiber.

Condition 0.0.
Glow in the dark brake hoses? The fack man.