Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yup. I still have a 10x30 Krypstick / Tracker / Bones board I bought new in 1979?. Ordered it from a clipped out form from a magazine from somewhere in California. Anyway, I brought it out a couple of times and it was not pretty. Oh, I could still get down the road and tack a bit, but to think I used to ride this thing on half-pipes:panic:. Ended up trying to ollie a man-hole cover, success was limited :no:. I got over the cover just fine, but sticking the landing was an issue. :rofl: Let's just say it hurt and leave it at that. My suggestion, is tighten the trucks up a touch more than you have normally. No hills. Take it easy and don't get cocky. Something tells me you won't bounce much better than I did. :D
I went for a ride yesterday and I had a blast. No ollies or other crazyness :sarcastic:, just cruisin along and doing sweet slalom on a downslope. It was great!

Another thing I noticed: The number of new standards in skateboarding since 25 years = 0.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Another thing I noticed: The number of new standards in skateboarding since 25 years = 0.
To be fair, the improvement in skateboards in the past 25 years is also 0.

Which is probably largely due to their customer base mostly being made up of a bunch of broke teenagers who want to go outside and smoke pot and hang out with their friends. Not people who spend 800 hours on forums discussing the finer points of shimstacks for their shocks, and who are willing to spend 1200 dollars on a shock for their bicycle to get it just right.

Point I'm trying to make is, the customers are the problem with the bike industry.

Also skateboards are sweet, except when you live in an area where everything is made up of uneven concrete that catches wheels like crazy. I need some 29" skateboard wheels to roll over these cracks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, the improvement in skateboards in the past 25 years is also 0.

Which is probably largely due to their customer base mostly being made up of a bunch of broke teenagers who want to go outside and smoke pot and hang out with their friends. Not people who spend 800 hours on forums discussing the finer points of shimstacks for their shocks, and who are willing to spend 1200 dollars on a shock for their bicycle to get it just right.

Point I'm trying to make is, the customers are the problem with the bike industry.

Also skateboards are sweet, except when you live in an area where everything is made up of uneven concrete that catches wheels like crazy. I need some 29" skateboard wheels to roll over these cracks.
Did a search, found carbon fiber skateboards and E-boards

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
I went for a ride yesterday and I had a blast. No ollies or other crazyness :sarcastic:, just cruisin along and doing sweet slalom on a downslope. It was great!

Tell me again how many wheel sizes, wheel hardness, truck widths and different boards there are again... Then take a freestyle truck mount it to your longboard with some 101 hardness wheels that are 45mm and go down that same hill.

You can buy a 26“ tire and wheel in my shop.... Does that mean nothing changed in biking?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've just discovered that the spline pattern on Wheels Mfg BSA 30 BB cups is different from the spline pattern on RF & other BSA 30 cups so my tools no worky. :banghead: :rant: :butcher:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Tell me again how many wheel sizes, wheel hardness, truck widths and different boards there are again... Then take a freestyle truck mount it to your longboard with some 101 hardness wheels that are 45mm and go down that same hill.

You can buy a 26“ tire and wheel in my shop.... Does that mean nothing changed in biking?
All wheels fit on all trucks though. And all trucks fit on all boards.

that's the difference.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001

that's the difference.
Yep! Just like it used to be possible to fit a XC fork on a DH bike even though they were not meant to work together.

If the skate industry was anything like the bike industry, there would be several trucks bolt patterns (each providing about 18% more stiffness), the various wheel sizes would need different bearing sizes and different axle diameters, etc.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden

that's the difference.
No they don't. They only do it with adapters. Cause a lot of wheels are to big. Then you have to raise the truck...

You can fit a DH fork on a xc bike.

But it's stupid..

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Yep! Just like it used to be possible to fit a XC fork on a DH bike even though they were not meant to work together.

If the skate industry was anything like the bike industry, there would be several trucks bolt patterns (each providing about 18% more stiffness), the various wheel sizes would need different bearing sizes and different axle diameters, etc.
Well there was a time when the two bikes were the same. We used to compete DH on our xc bikes, and do trials on them as well. But I don't want to go back to that time.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Well there was a time when the two bikes were the same. We used to compete DH on our xc bikes, and do trials on them as well. But I don't want to go back to that time.
Good point that nobody seems to acknowledge. If we didn't have changing standards we'd be riding this in DH: which tripled as my dual slalom and XC bike.

While it was a blast, I am personally pretty happy to have no more:

Canti brakes
skewers holding my wheels on
headshok
square taper snapomatic BB spindle
narrow bars (are you kidding me??)
short reach long stem 73 hta
grip shift
triple chainring
Bob Hannah Signature Flak Jak

kamakazi ks.jpg

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Fair point!

I am totally in favor of technological improvements and I agree new standards are often necessary.

On the other hand, I am against BS new standards that brings minor and unnecessary improvements, like the 35mm stem/bars interface to name only one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No they don't. They only do it with adapters. Cause a lot of wheels are to big. Then you have to raise the truck...

You can fit a DH fork on a xc bike.

But it's stupid..
He was referring to the truck axles and the mounting patterns you pendantic wanker. Whether or not they clear determines if you need a riser, which is just shimzzzzz.

Good point that nobody seems to acknowledge. If we didn't have changing standards we'd be riding this in DH: which tripled as my dual slalom and XC bike.

While it was a blast, I am personally pretty happy to have no more:

Canti brakes
skewers holding my wheels on
headshok
square taper snapomatic BB spindle
narrow bars (are you kidding me??)
short reach long stem 73 hta
grip shift
triple chainring
Bob Hannah Signature Flak Jak

View attachment 128805
I'd go back to multiple chainrings very happily. 1 x n is a stupid concept.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
He was referring to the truck axles and the mounting patterns you pendantic wanker. Whether or not they clear determines if you need a riser, which is just shimzzzzz.
*wanders into skateboard conversation in the forum formerly known as the DH forum*

Does anyone know if the ankle strap on a surfboard has seen any standard changes in the past 25 years?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Do we need to start a "this is what's wrong with the world" thread? Guys, we already have more than enough with the bike industry, spare us this crap!
What's wrong with the world is the same thread as what's wrong with the industry

Which is also the same thread as what's wrong with Formula 1 when I thought it would only attract the best

The Bell Curve.

That's what's wrong with the industry

That's what's wrong with the world

get fuckin over it or kill yourself

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
What's wrong with the world is the same thread as what's wrong with the industry

Which is also the same thread as what's wrong with Formula 1 when I thought it would only attract the best

The Bell Curve.

That's what's wrong with the industry

That's what's wrong with the world

get fuckin over it or kill yourself
I know, I know, I should have added the [/SARCASM] tag, or this smiley: :busted:. It's just that if we start enumerating every fucking thing we think it's wrong we will die in this thread.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I know, I know, I should have added the [/SARCASM] tag, or this smiley: :busted:. It's just that if we start enumerating every fucking thing we think it's wrong we will die in this thread.
sorry. somebody got me started

let's get back to what's wrong with the industry....

on the other hand, I get paid to ride my bike,

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So this article got posted already in more of a positive light, but I felt like it should be over here in the "this is what's wrong" thread.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/mtb-weight/

Best part of it is the picture with the caption: "Endless cornering grip! eMTBs show that extra weight is not necessarily bad"

As somebody that wants an emtb because the idea of getting to go do a couple laps of the local hill and not be wrecked after a run or two, an emtb sounds awesome. But the current marketing pitch of "they're just as good if not better" drives me fucking crazy. Own up to the fact that you're making some sacrifices in handling for the sake of making the climbs faster and less shitty. I'm literally an eager customer and their marketing is making me actively want to not buy one.

The bike industry in particular seems to take a perverse joy in finding a new product that has something really awesome and innovative and cool to offer, and instead of making its benefits their selling point, they immediately stake out a bonkers claim that there are no compromises whatsoever. And instead of marketing the cool parts of the product, they ignore it, and focus on making stupid and blatant lies that its perfect in every way and that there are no compromises whatsoever.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The bike industry in particular seems to take a perverse joy in finding a new product that has something really awesome and innovative and cool to offer, and instead of making its benefits their selling point, they immediately stake out a bonkers claim that there are no compromises whatsoever. And instead of marketing the cool parts of the product, they ignore it, and focus on making stupid and blatant lies that its perfect in every way and that there are no compromises whatsoever.
I just want to quote this for posterity, it's really pretty accurate....but then again, reality doesn't sell bikes...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As somebody that wants an emtb because the idea of getting to go do a couple laps of the local hill and not be wrecked after a run or two, an emtb sounds awesome. But the current marketing pitch of "they're just as good if not better" drives me fucking crazy. Own up to the fact that you're making some sacrifices in handling for the sake of making the climbs faster and less shitty. I'm literally an eager customer and their marketing is making me actively want to not buy one.
That's exactly why I bought one.
Which Emtbs have you ridden?
Mine has almost exactly the same travel and extremely similar geometry to my Capra. Both have a 170mm Lyrik, RS piggyback rear shocks and horst link rear ends. (leverage curves etc. are similar but the Capra is more progressive)
They do handle differently. Of course they do. The main reason for this is there's 15lb difference in weight between them. All extra weight held centrally.
The Ebike in boost mode is indeed like a FFWD button for the climbs. it's still fucking hilarious every ride. Some of the climbs that you used to find a chore actually become fun.
Descending:
Which of the two bikes would you think is faster? Neither. there's litterally nothing in it between the two in times on a whole host of descents from tight/steep (EWS) enduro stages, national level DH tracks, local DH and even pedally trail centre descents (the assist stops at 15mph and it's not the motor allowing the Ebike to go as just as fast.
Which is more stable and has most grip? The Ebike by a mile. (same tyres)
Which is more fun to ride? IMO The Capra. But only because the Ebike is much more tiring to hop and a lot harder to manual. Find a trail with nice kickers and bizarrely the ebike is just as much fun in the air and whips and tables just as well. (the Capra scrubs better but that might just be me)
so what else does the Capra do better? pump, ping, pop, and slide. (All traits I miss when on the Ebike but none of them actually make the Capra faster). Manuals and hopping both take far more initial effort.
The differences in the two bikes dictate that I ride the Capra wilder, brake later, pop off stuff way more and the Ebike I ride smoother but hold more momentum.

The dishonesty about ebikes in mtb marketing/media is staggering. Almost all of the owners have bought into the 2.8" plus tyre shit as they're told you need these tyres for an ebike. Especially for climbing. what utter bollocks! any half decently skilled rider absolutely does not need 2.8" tyres to hold grip up steeper terrain.
they try to tell new owners they need Ebike specific parts too. £390 (8 fucking speed) cassettes. £50 (8spd) Ebike specific chains, lube, saddles fucking anything they can get away with because a lot of the new owners are clueless.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But only because the Ebike is much more tiring to hop and a lot harder to manual.
Haha I tried to wheelie one the other night. Goddamn thats dangerous. Like riding a turbo moto with terrifying lag or a 2-stroke with a powerband that kicks in only when they're on the back wheel. Nearly died a few times then gave up.

Maybe the non-insane power modes might have been better, but what kind of sicko buys a motorbike and runs it in the non-bonkers setting.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wheelying them is pretty mental. Muscle memory from 40years of wheelying needs reset as the pedal inputs don't translate to what you expect them to at all. Definitely takes time.
Manualling them you need to haul/push so hard to get it to the balance point if you did the same thing on a normal bike you'd KO yourself on the pavement behind the bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wheelying them is pretty mental. Muscle memory from 40years of wheelying needs reset as the pedal inputs don't translate to what you expect them to at all. Definitely takes time.
Manualling them you need to haul/push so hard to get it to the balance point if you did the same thing on a normal bike you'd KO yourself on the pavement behind the bike.
Unlock that sh*t!