Quantcast

Thoughts on People

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I have a succinct description of society (american at least, but I believe others as well, if not all.) We as a people, would rather follow people because they are cool rather than because of what they believe in.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
For some people (myself included) considering someone cool or not is determined in a large part by what they believe in.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Changleen said:
For some people (myself included) considering someone cool or not is determined in a large part by what they believe in.[/QUOTE

Yeah, me too. But if you ask people why they like actors or authors or people in general, they will subconciously or conciously describe the things that make them cool, instead of the selfless acts that better humanity.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Changleen said:
For some people (myself included) considering someone cool or not is determined in a large part by what they believe in.
Yah but yer not american so it don't not mattur wut you think...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think that is a very broad generalization. Do you have a specific example we could mull over?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
Yeah, me too. But if you ask people why they like actors or authors or people in general, they will subconciously or conciously describe the things that make them cool, instead of the selfless acts that better humanity.
We live in an entertainment oriented society. I would expect people to care more about that stuff than the more mundane acts of kindness.

For example, I posted last week about Star Jones' departure from "The View", and I did not mention how I bought my 2 year old nephew a metal basketball hoop because he broke the last two he owned.

I didn't post it because it was my personal business, whereas a show business story everyone could relate to.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
sanjuro said:
I think that is a very broad generalization. Do you have a specific example we could mull over?
Is there another kind of generalization? Yes, I have several. Us magazine, People, E Tv, the fact that musicians and actors hold more attention and public view than politicians or great people. How many people follow Gahndi? Or Mother Theresa? Or Jesus? and I mean really follow them not just say they follow them but people who live the way they lived and act the way they act. Not just because they thinkthey are cool-like Islam and Buddhists are trendy right now. Many people say they are Buddhist but don't really know what it means. Lots of people "sypathize" with Islam but don't know why. Are those adequate examples?
Do you think people can't relate to the story about your nephew?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I can't really think of anyone I would "follow", besides Skooks that is but then I worry about keeping up. :p

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
kidwoo said:
Because that's a standard speech from the pulpit.

So standard it's actually cliche as hell.
Why do you think that is a standard topic for a belief system that focuses on helping the poor and needing a saviour? And why are you implying that it is a topic that needs to be forgotten?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Heath, are you suggesting people should "follow" politicians over musicians?

Politicians are some of the most worthless people I've ever met, where as artists are at least semi-creative.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
johnbryanpeters said:
The best way to help humanity would be to randomly eliminate about 98% of it.
i think it would be best if we just decided to get over ourselves, amassing as many large material goods as possible and trying to keep up with everyone we see.

but then again who am i to say how people should live their lives?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
johnbryanpeters said:
Yup.

Humanity is just fine as it is, helping humans is a different and more important issue.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
johnbryanpeters said:
Now that would work. But seems like it would be a lot of work...

Ignoring 98% of humanity works for me just fine. I highly recommend it...

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Bicyclist said:
Heath, are you suggesting people should "follow" politicians over musicians?

Politicians are some of the most worthless people I've ever met, where as artists are at least semi-creative.
The content of my post is a cry to others to pay attention to what they do and why they do it. It is set in a non aggressive way because people have insecurities and resistances that are both concious and subconcious to anything that opposes their belief sytem. It also helps people that really want to develop to do so without thinking someone is attacking them personally even though it is general and broad enought to include everyone, people will still find it personally offensive because they are bitter and angry with themselves but blame their anger on others.:clue:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
jdcamb said:
Now that would work. But seems like it would be a lot of work...

Ignoring 98% of humanity works for me just fine. I highly recommend it...
Actually God did that with the Flood...remember? Noah? The Ark? Actually that was more like 99.9%. But hey, here we are again.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Heath Sherratt said:
...people have insecurities and resistances that are both concious and subconcious to anything that opposes their belief sytem.
agreed!

Especially muslims.

oh, yeah, and Christains.

Forgot my jews.

And the minor deities, too.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Changleen said:

Guess that makes me the coolest person I know! :D

Thanks for the self validation dude! :love:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
Is there another kind of generalization? Yes, I have several. Us magazine, People, E Tv, the fact that musicians and actors hold more attention and public view than politicians or great people. How many people follow Gahndi? Or Mother Theresa? Or Jesus? and I mean really follow them not just say they follow them but people who live the way they lived and act the way they act. Not just because they thinkthey are cool-like Islam and Buddhists are trendy right now. Many people say they are Buddhist but don't really know what it means. Lots of people "sypathize" with Islam but don't know why. Are those adequate examples?
I applaud you for bringing this up. It is a very interesting topic.

One thing about lives is the disappointment many feel about religion. I think you could list a bucketload of very legitimate complaints about the major religions, and we have turned to more secular pursuits to replace our need for faith and spirituality.

One fictional character which I have based some of my personal "philosophy" is Jeff Smith from Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. His pure altruism affected me strongly as a teenager, and the ripples still run in me today.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
sanjuro said:
One fictional character which I have based some of my personal "philosophy" is Jeff Smith from Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. His pure altruism affected me strongly as a teenager, and the ripples still run in me today.
Thats cool. Me too. My Mom used to call me everytime she watched that movie.