Quantcast

Tight Pants (in defense of)

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
but what if its in reference to elton john? :busted:

In this instance, I don't know if its necessarily an ignorant comment. Seeing as how cross-dressing is commonly associated with homosexuality and all.

Not that it makes it ok, right?
I know way more gay guys who wear baggier pants than tight pants, and the whole point i was trying to make is that pant leg radius does not reflect on gender.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
not that this has anything to do with tight pants (well, maybe it does a little)...

i am a teacher in a DC public school. i was an electrical engineer for about 7 years before giving up the $$ to start a new career to inspire/influence the disadvantaged youth of my neighborhood.

i am about to finish my 3rd year as a teacher and i can tell you from my personal experience that there are some really sh*tty teachers at my school and some that work their asses off everyday to make a difference. i work twice as hard as i ever did as an engineer and make 1/2 as much money. i can't even begin to describe some of the stuff that i have seen/heard/experienced in my classroom... there's just too much always happening.

i believe that one of the biggest issues with the problem in our education system is the lack of parental support, value, and buy in into their own children's education. this also combined with the environment kids are being raised in. most of my students are growing up at or below the poverty level and many are also second language learners (to give you an idea of the demographic where i teach). i've had parents show up to conferences drunk. i've had parents beat their kids if i call home to discuss discipline issues with them. most of the parents i deal with just don't care. there are just too many people having kids that just can't/won't/don't care about raising them and hope that school can do it for them.

it's also sad to see the state of the public school system in DC. it is after all, the capital of the united states and many of it's school buildings are falling apart, full of asbestos, lack basic supplies, etc... our funding priorities are pathetic. somehow thanks to defense funding, i was making $80k+ sitting on my butt wasting 90% of my day in an office with the fancy title of senior hardware design engineer for a defense contractor. as a teacher, i'm making less than $50k and i get treated like sh*t on a nearly daily basis. it's no wonder that teacher retention rates in the US are so absurd.

anyways, i could go on and on and on about the issues with our education system but this isn't the proper forum nor do i have the time.

regarding the debate, guys wearing girl pants? i just don't get it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know way more gay guys who wear baggier pants than tight pants, and the whole point i was trying to make is that pant leg radius does not reflect on gender.
only the department you buy it in.

"I know where you got those pants, and it sure as hell wasn't the men's department"

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
funny part is.... that look will probably get him laid (with an emo chick) way faster than if he was just joe-fat-kid-with-a-ballcap. then a few years later he'll tone down or lose the look and won't be a loser.

my prime example... is marilyn manson himself. that guy without makeup didn't stand a chance in high school !!! heh heh hehh.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my prime example... is marilyn manson himself. that guy without makeup didn't stand a chance in high school !!! heh heh hehh.
the key difference is... marilyn manson is a very well known musician. That picture is just some random pumpkin head sissy.

Have you ever seen/read/heard any of the interviews Marilyn Manson has given? He's actually an extremely intelligent individual, and very well spoken.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the key difference is... marilyn manson is a very well known musician. That picture is just some random pumpkin head sissy.

Have you ever seen/read/heard any of the interviews Marilyn Manson has given? He's actually an extremely intelligent individual, and very well spoken.
true but you don't get the point. there is a purpose to dressing like that. it's to find a crew to hang with in jr. high and high school. they will bond over hating people like you!

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
true but you don't get the point. there is a purpose to dressing like that. it's to find a crew to hang with in jr. high and high school. they will bond over hating people like you!
There is no excuse for that. If you have to dress like that just to get a few friends, then you have REAL BIG PROBLEMS.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no, i get the point. And I totally agree - there is a purpose for dressing like that. It's so everyone will know that they have horrible taste and are questioning their own gender/sexual orientation.

Or its just for the "hey look how different I am" factor.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
heh hehh hehh heh. exactly!!!!! that's the part that's his best chance for getting laid !!
that never worked for me... I was one of 3 punk kids in a high school of 2000 some odd thugs, gangsters, and suburb kids that must've come from an ad for the Gap. Keep in mind this was right around the time that skateboarding was starting to gain mainstream acceptance.

that never worked for me... I was one of 3 punk kids in a high school of 2000 some odd thugs, gangsters, and suburb kids that must've come from an ad for the Gap. Keep in mind this was right around the time that skateboarding was starting to gain mainstream acceptance.
same here, except that there was no suburb gap kids and skating wasn't respected at all yet...

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
wow so now i'm a girl AND emo for wearing tight pants while riding bicycles. i'm gonna have to disagree with ya there, rick, considering I wrote my senior satire piece on how emo is the most degenerative trend to hit america's youth.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow so now i'm a girl AND emo for wearing tight pants while riding bicycles. i'm gonna have to disagree with ya there, rick, considering I wrote my senior satire piece on how emo is the most degenerative trend to hit america's youth.
yea dude, and anti-flag is a bunch of f***ing sellouts.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i would agree that anti-flag hasn't had a good record since mobilize, and their new stuff is agonizingly poppy...but i chose this avatar for its meaning, not because anti-flag put it on a cd.

suicidal tendencies was on a columbia records subsidiary and the billboard top 100 after completely changing their style...they didn't sell out any less than anti-flag.

i don't listen to much punk anymore, but as long as we're on the subject, check out The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower (even though you homophobes might not approve of the gay band members). they broke up, but they were sick and had some sweet, prevalent bass lines.

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I was going to avoid this thread because I guess I figured it had all been gone over before, but its gone for some many pages I thought I should check it out. Wow, some interesting discussion is going on, and as a teacher I thought I would jump in as well (also have a few pairs of "girl pants" in my wardrobe so I will comment on that as well).

First of all, back to Bulldogs first statement. I was standing next to him when that kid walked up, he is one of my students, and a good kid. Ya, its weird, but ya have to get past some of the goofy stuff they do. I applaud some deviation from the Abercrombie polos and AE crap. Its nice getting a little difference in there, Lord knows I don't want a bunch of clones walking around the halls of our school. On top of that, our town is blue collar, but people think they are a little better then really are. Stereotyping, and being very untolerant of others seems to be the trend of our town, bred by the older people and trickling into the youth.

This is the very problem with why we don't have a skatepark. People stereotype the type of kids that would go to such a place. They would wear black, and chains, and do drugs, and probably kill people. Its such a joke. For every kid that come close to that description there are a ton of yuppyish kids with popped collars and baggy jeans getting dropped off in their parents Cadi that will use the park. Are they brats, heck ya, do they swear and are disrespectful, for sure. I've been working on this project for 6 years (to get the park in our town) and I still get disrespected by the kids. At their age its actually not even a part of their mental makeup to understand doing things for others. THey are also used to being babied by their parents and getting everything handed to them, why would they expect anything different.

To switch gears on this rant for a moment, we are also digging public trails in the next town over. I spend tons of time, even taking a personal day to work on them. When I leave the little kids come out and run over the jumps, fill the small ones in so they can ride over them, and generally destroy the place. Any trail builder knows the feelings that I feel towards these kids. You suggest they pick up a shovel and help and they laugh. They really feel that the jumps just appear for their pleasure, no effort needs to be taken on their part to maintain them. Of course this is why they don't feel bad when they drag a pedal or tear up a landing. If they had helped they would be more understanding. Two days ago a kid rode over some new stuff I had just built after I told him not to, I was ready to level the kid with my shovel, but the only one getting in trouble would be me for behaving in such a manner.

So why continue to do things for kids? Well, first of all, those jumps and that skatepark are places for ME to ride. Not to be selfish, but I want them. I'm willing to endure some pain so that I don't have to drive 30min or more away to get my fix. I've always been one of a few in my town to take riding seriously, and again, people that do can understand this mentality. If its just something you do on occasion why would you feel any allegiance or interest to improve the situation for yourself, let alone other people. But again, that goes back to that kid mentality that everything will be done for you. Thats why I work harder at the trails digging, or working with the city to get a park built, because I know better then to expect that from those around me.

The other reason I put up with the kids is because some times you get those bright moments with the youth of our nation (a main reason I still teach). At that benifit for the skatepark I was sitting next to a kid on the demo park deck and he commented how riding the ramps was way more fun then sitting at home playing video games like he normally does on weekends. Heck ya we need a park, these kids need something to do. I watched a lot of kids hang out, enjoy themselves, and be free from repression for what they do (skating is actually banned in our DT). For all the kids I heard swearing or being disrespectful I saw a twenty that were being just fine, why would I let a couple bad eggs ruin my drive. Same with at my trails. I threw out my shovel line (come help!) to a couple kids one day and they actually did. Monday I had a couple little guys who just wanted to help, well, go stamp that dirt down. Awesome, they hung with us and actually took part in making the trails. They were so excited to be able to ride afterwards, they appreciated what they (and we) had done. Like I said, that helps fuel me on.

Lastly, there are a group of feshmen boys that have been coming to the trails a lot. They huck themselves off the jumps and give it their all. They crash, they bleed, and they also help us build. Its awesome seeing guys starting out, and its also cool to be apart of that. We teach them how to jump and then we get to see them blossom. If I had mentors when I was that young I would be sooo much better now. Its kinda nice to provide that "service".

Anyway. I'm sitting in a classroom right now with my worst class. They are mouthy, they are loud, and they are definitely disrespectful. Do I just let them walk all over me? Do give up because their parents have? Do I give up because I don't want to be the "bad guy" even though I'm the only person in their lives that stands up to them? No. Of course not. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but this whole thing bugs me, kids as well as adults. Lets not point fingers of who is to blame for kids behavior, just take an active role to correct it. On top of that, instead of getting worked up cuz a kid has a pair of tight pants on or makeup lets be a little bit more mature and consider what kind of person he is.

And as for the jeans thing, if you can rock them and like them, awesome. If you prefer baggy Levis, sweet. Go ride your bike how you like. A lot of BMXers hate on guys that ride MTBs, seems like a lot of MTBers are hating on guys with tight pants. People are different, thats a sweet little thing called free will that God gave us (not pressing my faith on anyone, just what I believe). I think we all know the past of discrimination, why don't we try to improve things and be a bit more excepting and open minded.

Done.

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
No, I need to go ride my bike. That chills me out way better then any buzz I've ever gotten from a beer (probably a better way of handling stress as well in the grand scheme of things).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They would wear black, and chains, and do drugs, and probably kill people.
I wear black and chains, do drugs, and most definitely kill people. I pour motor oil down sewer drains, rip tags off of mattresses, urinate on door knobs, and fart loudly in crowded elevators. When people aren't looking, I put "Honk if you're a heffer" bumper stickers on cars. I tie peoples shoelaces together when they're standing in line. I was the guy who ruined "Titanic" for a bunch of morons when I was waiting in line and said "I know how it ends - the boat sinks". I take business mail reply envelopes and fill them with dirty pictures of naked men before returning them with a filled out credit card application for "Seymour Buttz". I drive a truck that gets 5 gallons to the mile, wear nothing but baby seal leather, drink whiskey like there's no tomorrow, and treat my women worse than I treat my slaves. And if you don't like that, then I've got a box of burrito night aftermath with your name on it.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
To plagiarizer a famous Allen Iverson quote

"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about pants. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be online checking out cool bike shizz, and we're talking about pants. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pants, not a frame, not a set of jumps, not a steezy ass picture, but we're talking about pants.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
To plagiarizer a famous Allen Iverson quote

"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about pants. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be online checking out cool bike shizz, and we're talking about pants. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pants, not a frame, not a set of jumps, not a steezy ass picture, but we're talking about pants.
haaha that was the best press thing caught on tape ever