Quantcast

Tight Pants (in defense of)

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
I was going to avoid this thread because I guess I figured it had all been gone over before, but its gone for some many pages I thought I should check it out. Wow, some interesting discussion is going on, and as a teacher I thought I would jump in as well (also have a few pairs of "girl pants" in my wardrobe so I will comment on that as well).

First of all, back to Bulldogs first statement. I was standing next to him when that kid walked up, he is one of my students, and a good kid. Ya, its weird, but ya have to get past some of the goofy stuff they do. I applaud some deviation from the Abercrombie polos and AE crap. Its nice getting a little difference in there, Lord knows I don't want a bunch of clones walking around the halls of our school. On top of that, our town is blue collar, but people think they are a little better then really are. Stereotyping, and being very untolerant of others seems to be the trend of our town, bred by the older people and trickling into the youth.

This is the very problem with why we don't have a skatepark. People stereotype the type of kids that would go to such a place. They would wear black, and chains, and do drugs, and probably kill people. Its such a joke. For every kid that come close to that description there are a ton of yuppyish kids with popped collars and baggy jeans getting dropped off in their parents Cadi that will use the park. Are they brats, heck ya, do they swear and are disrespectful, for sure. I've been working on this project for 6 years (to get the park in our town) and I still get disrespected by the kids. At their age its actually not even a part of their mental makeup to understand doing things for others. THey are also used to being babied by their parents and getting everything handed to them, why would they expect anything different.

To switch gears on this rant for a moment, we are also digging public trails in the next town over. I spend tons of time, even taking a personal day to work on them. When I leave the little kids come out and run over the jumps, fill the small ones in so they can ride over them, and generally destroy the place. Any trail builder knows the feelings that I feel towards these kids. You suggest they pick up a shovel and help and they laugh. They really feel that the jumps just appear for their pleasure, no effort needs to be taken on their part to maintain them. Of course this is why they don't feel bad when they drag a pedal or tear up a landing. If they had helped they would be more understanding. Two days ago a kid rode over some new stuff I had just built after I told him not to, I was ready to level the kid with my shovel, but the only one getting in trouble would be me for behaving in such a manner.

So why continue to do things for kids? Well, first of all, those jumps and that skatepark are places for ME to ride. Not to be selfish, but I want them. I'm willing to endure some pain so that I don't have to drive 30min or more away to get my fix. I've always been one of a few in my town to take riding seriously, and again, people that do can understand this mentality. If its just something you do on occasion why would you feel any allegiance or interest to improve the situation for yourself, let alone other people. But again, that goes back to that kid mentality that everything will be done for you. Thats why I work harder at the trails digging, or working with the city to get a park built, because I know better then to expect that from those around me.

The other reason I put up with the kids is because some times you get those bright moments with the youth of our nation (a main reason I still teach). At that benifit for the skatepark I was sitting next to a kid on the demo park deck and he commented how riding the ramps was way more fun then sitting at home playing video games like he normally does on weekends. Heck ya we need a park, these kids need something to do. I watched a lot of kids hang out, enjoy themselves, and be free from repression for what they do (skating is actually banned in our DT). For all the kids I heard swearing or being disrespectful I saw a twenty that were being just fine, why would I let a couple bad eggs ruin my drive. Same with at my trails. I threw out my shovel line (come help!) to a couple kids one day and they actually did. Monday I had a couple little guys who just wanted to help, well, go stamp that dirt down. Awesome, they hung with us and actually took part in making the trails. They were so excited to be able to ride afterwards, they appreciated what they (and we) had done. Like I said, that helps fuel me on.

Lastly, there are a group of feshmen boys that have been coming to the trails a lot. They huck themselves off the jumps and give it their all. They crash, they bleed, and they also help us build. Its awesome seeing guys starting out, and its also cool to be apart of that. We teach them how to jump and then we get to see them blossom. If I had mentors when I was that young I would be sooo much better now. Its kinda nice to provide that "service".

Anyway. I'm sitting in a classroom right now with my worst class. They are mouthy, they are loud, and they are definitely disrespectful. Do I just let them walk all over me? Do give up because their parents have? Do I give up because I don't want to be the "bad guy" even though I'm the only person in their lives that stands up to them? No. Of course not. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but this whole thing bugs me, kids as well as adults. Lets not point fingers of who is to blame for kids behavior, just take an active role to correct it. On top of that, instead of getting worked up cuz a kid has a pair of tight pants on or makeup lets be a little bit more mature and consider what kind of person he is.

And as for the jeans thing, if you can rock them and like them, awesome. If you prefer baggy Levis, sweet. Go ride your bike how you like. A lot of BMXers hate on guys that ride MTBs, seems like a lot of MTBers are hating on guys with tight pants. People are different, thats a sweet little thing called free will that God gave us (not pressing my faith on anyone, just what I believe). I think we all know the past of discrimination, why don't we try to improve things and be a bit more excepting and open minded.

Done.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
No Zach, I don't expect you to read it. Nobody said you had to open the thread or do anything for that matter. I guess the least I would expect from another adult is not to act in such an immature fashion about not wanting to read something. Congrats on losing my respect, I guess I thought you were better then that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No Zach, I don't expect you to read it. Nobody said you had to open the thread or do anything for that matter. I guess the least I would expect from another adult is not to act in such an immature fashion about not wanting to read something. Congrats on losing my respect, I guess I thought you were better then that.
If you didn't laugh at that picture then you're dead inside.

DEAD INSIDE!!!!!!

srysly funneh pic.....you know you laughed

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Sorry, man, I didn't.

I guess I kinda went off, to much perhaps, but this whole thing struck a nerve with me. Not really out to make anyone read to much, but if somebody wants to, well have at it. I guess I've dealt with to much crap on the issue (kids, fighting an up hill battle to build parks and trails, whatever [not pants]) and I needed to vent.

I imagined this would be the best place to do so due to a lot of people probably fighting the same battles, but I guess I was wrong.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry, we're discussing pants here. If you'd like to have another discussion, its in the upper right corner... its the button that says "New Thread"

Now, back to pants....

capris? Gayer than girls jeans? But functionally better?

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
^^ Yea T1, I feel you that you have a passion for riding. I have an obsession I think...

But really the thread is for discussion about pants, as sad as it is...

I know I said it's sad and yes I read a couple pages, I'm gonna wash the stink off in a minute.

BTW I read your entire post and it should've been made into it's own thread.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
^^ Yea T1, I feel you that you have a passion for riding. I have an obsession I think...

But really the thread is for discussion about pants, as sad as it is...

I know I said it's sad and yes I read a couple pages, I'm gonna wash the stink off in a minute.

BTW I read your entire post and it should've been made into it's own thread.
Perhaps. Oh well, carry on with the pants...

I'm currently wearing a pair of True Religion Joeys that some might rank as a being a little tight, but my wife definitely bought them in the men's department.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
zach, that was one of the best pictures i've seen in a minute.

t1 is on the money. dude brings up the good points.

i agree with him on the fact of a lot of kids these days are douchebags. they expect everything to be done for them. i'm form a white collar town and given the chance, i'd smack a fair number of the kids around here in the face with a flatty for how arrogant and uppity they are. i hate it. they're assholes to teachers too and they think it's funny to lack common respect. i'd go off on some kid and beat the hell out of him if i had kids saying that stuff to me. must be where you get your patience from.

and on the trails thing, i think a lot of little kids are just happy to go out an have fun and don't realize what they're doing when they just ride over the jumps and stuff. i was the same way when i was little, i wouldn't mess up the jumps, but i'd just go out and shred and never dig. never understood how much work it takes to keeps jumps running really well until i built my own. it's a pain.

on the pants subject, do what you do. <3 girl pants, but that's just me, and what i choose to wear. i can't be arsed to listen to some straightlaced rich kid tell me about how i keep circulation in my legs or how my nuts respirate. although, it gives me a chgance to fire some dbag comment back at them. some wanksta kid was giving me sh*t for tight pants today, the ususal "damn son, yo momz aint buy no clothes that fit you?" and in front of the total dbag assistant principal, i replied with "damn son, at least buy clothes that fit me and i don't like i walked out of the f*cking salvation army going out of business sale" and just walked off. it was pretty funny. totally worth it if i get written up

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
i think a majority of people hate tight pants and talk sh*t on them because they don't have the stunning physique required to properly rock them. i get compliments on my legs from women regularly. girls dig em too. good combo

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
nothing wrong with tight pants, but there is a line that shalt not be crossed, and that is wearing your sister's pants.

I ware mine baggy if anything though

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think a majority of people hate tight pants and talk sh*t on them because they don't have the stunning physique required to properly rock them. i get compliments on my legs from women regularly. girls dig em too. good combo
until they go down on you and get a whiff of your swamp crotch and promptly fill your lap with vomit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
doesn't change the fact that those of us who are fully grown adults would be required to wear a jock strap to comfortably pack all the bits and pieces into a pair of pants designed around a vagina.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i actually caught my pant leg on my crankarm today, wearing baggy pants, i actually think if i had somthin a little more fitted it wouldnt of happened. but im not talking about lets see your sperm count through your jeans tight, just fitted

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
To plagiarizer a famous Allen Iverson quote

"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about pants. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be online checking out cool bike shizz, and we're talking about pants. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pants, not a frame, not a set of jumps, not a steezy ass picture, but we're talking about pants.
AI is my hero.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shlt........you have no idea.

Go look at the pro dh class some day.
pro class? sh*t son just look at expert, and sport, and even beginner....

if these kids spent half the time practicing as they do picking out a matching race kit with a matching bike, maybe there'd be better US representation in the UCI...

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007

if these kids spent half the time practicing as they do picking out a matching race kit with a matching bike, maybe there'd be better US representation in the UCI...
seriously, when i go to the races I am pretty much the only guy racing in jeans and a t shirt, everyone else has expensive matching gear,

As far as the tight pants they are really gay, if you are trying to make a statement by wearing tight pants you could make a bigger statement by just coming out of the closet. An even worse trend by the local grom bmxers is wearing girls capris. That and constantly bitching about how their $2000 bmx bike that their parents bought them isn't light enough for them to jump

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon

When I used to race, I would intentionally dress DOWN. I wore mis-matched socks, shorts that said CREST (toothpaste) on them, and a jersey I found at goodwill for a buck. :D I used to love hearing people whisper **** about me, and then blow them away on the course. :banana: Very satisfying!

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Zach, I know you don't care, and Lord knows your opinion of me doesn't really mean anything either. I guess I wouldn't choose to stoop to the behavior of my 8th grade students because I have an issue with a post thats a little to long for my attention span.

Cheers, buddy.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
at first i thought i was fighting a losing battle in this thread, but then people just started attacking me (rather than coming up w/ intelligent responses) and i knew i had already won.

Last edited: