Quantcast

& Wednesday &

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Talked to Wifey and we'll probably get me signed up for Uber. I'll try to work Friday and Saturday evenings, just to generate a bit of cash. The Infiniti qualifies as the premium XL SUV, so that opens up a potentially higher payout rate. If I can pay the Infiniti payment with a few night's work, that's a win for me.
that is very much NOT a top hat monocle kind of job

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
trying to convince myself that I shouldn't buy a BMW 540i with a stick.
What year? I can probably give you some reasons either way. But you really should look at an ///M, because ///M makes everything better (and more expensive!)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
:wave:

I had plans this morning, but the wifes alarm failed to alarm, and this morning turned into a rush job shit show instead. Got the women folk out on time but running plans were shot. Espresso for some reason was also a grade A clusterfuck requiring a complete restart of the whole process. I do have a 90 minute massage scheduled in about an hour as part of my effort to be less angry, depressed, and/or violent. Pretty sure imma be useless the rest of the day despite the many things on to-do my list. Probably ought to walk the dogs at least.

I can see your reason for espresso failure. Might have something to do with your source for beans.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

It's the wifes birthday and I didn't realize it until I got to work this morning. I'll be hiding in the shed, might be sleeping in there, too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What year? I can probably give you some reasons either way. But you really should look at an ///M, because ///M makes everything better (and more expensive!)
2000ish. The 4.4 liter. I know the M is mas, but the price jumps up considerably, and so does the maintenance. I want something I can drive once a week and stash for the winter, or take out for a weekend monocle clearing.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
2000ish. The 4.4 liter. I know the M is mas, but the price jumps up considerably, and so does the maintenance. I want something I can drive once a week and stash for the winter, or take out for a weekend monocle clearing.
The standard 540 (non-M sport) is a bit boat-ish for handling. That being said, it's an easy drive that's powerful enough. You want to make sure that the car has had it's VANOS serviced, else you're looking at a costly repair. Also check the drive knuckle as they were known to give out. Otherwise the car was pretty overbuilt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The standard 540 (non-M sport) is a bit boat-ish for handling. That being said, it's an easy drive that's powerful enough. You want to make sure that the car has had it's VANOS serviced, else you're looking at a costly repair. Also check the drive knuckle as they were known to give out. Otherwise the car was pretty overbuilt.
go ahead, ask him how he ///Knows about the ///Vanos

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Current manager went to the R&D site to talk with my future manager about my transition plan, then called to tell me what went down. She said "I felt like I was talking to you" because of our very similar personalities.

I cannot WAIT to be there....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds like all the 6sp 540s came with the sport package, and I've read that the non/////m 4.4 v8 had less VANOS than the \\m (intake side only or something?). So maybe it's less of a bitch than the big m. I've read that the timing and cooling system are garbage, which I'm familiar with because Audi.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Meh....I'm of the "leave me the fuck alone, and I will get done what needs to get done" camp. Current boss is a MEGA micromanager...makes me want to do less. New job description even said "works under very little guidance/supervision"....which of course can be bad if you don't know what you're doing/supposed to be doing.

I couldn't have direct reports because I struggle to be a dick when needed. So, if I were to work for myself, I would hope I knew what I was doing and did my shit, so I don't have to be a dick to me. Which is great, cause I don't need me breathing down my neck to get shit done.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Meh....I'm of the "leave me the fuck alone, and I will get done what needs to get done" camp. Current boss is a MEGA micromanager...makes me want to do less. New job description even said "works under very little guidance/supervision"....which of course can be bad if you don't know what you're doing/supposed to be doing.

I couldn't have direct reports because I struggle to be a dick when needed. So, if I were to work for myself, I would hope I knew what I was doing and did my shit, so I don't have to be a dick to me. Which is great, cause I don't need me breathing down my neck to get shit done.
Totally gonna get you this t-shirt

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i hate being micromanaged as well. my boss knows it. he leaves me alone as long as i'm on top of my shit. we have biweekly 1:1 meetings for brief status updates

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
i hate being micromanaged as well. my boss knows it. he leaves me alone as long as i'm on top of my shit. we have biweekly 1:1 meetings for brief status updates
With current manager, I had: Project status tracker (Excel spreadsheet), weekly 1hr meeting, and weekly report (1pg Word doc). I basically flat out told her I'm done with the weekly meetings, and luckily those ended a year or so ago.

She will micromanage to the point where she will ask me if something is done AS I'M DOING IT...and this wasn't a coincidental fluke, but a weekly occurrence. Even better, I would do XYZ, state I completed XYZ in my weekly report, send it to her, only to have her call/IM and ask if it was done hours later or the next day. Drove me nuts.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"works under very little guidance/supervision"....which of course can be bad if you don't know what you're doing/supposed to be doing.
This has pretty much been a job requirement for me for the last 10 years or more. It's worked out sometimes better than others. :rofl:

I like this spot because my boss has no idea how to do my job, so she isn't inclined to try and tell me how to do it. So long as folks are happy, so is she. :fans:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like all the 6sp 540s came with the sport package, and I've read that the non/////m 4.4 v8 had less VANOS than the \\m (intake side only or something?). So maybe it's less of a bitch than the big m. I've read that the timing and cooling system are garbage, which I'm familiar with because Audi.
Cooling isn't too bad, but getting the t-stat cover on was enough to get me to send it to a shop, who also had problems. You only get one vanos on the non-M, which is a bit cheaper too. There's a guy in TX who services VANOS units if you need to replace/repair it. I did the cam position sensors too and I did notice the difference on that.