Quantcast

When will america learn

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
There was one in the 60's, zero in the 70's, couple in the 80's, a little more regular in the 90's, and it looks like it happens every year now.
That's cause there was an instance of mental illness in the 60's, everyone was too high in the 70's to see straight let alone care, look at the administration in the 80's (Ronnie Ray-gun), in the 90's cognitive disorders were the buzz-words. Now it's just stupid....

[/thinly veiled sarcasm]

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Does anyone remember the last mass shooting, in the a mall in Utah? Remember how it ended? There was an armed offduty officer who shot the killer.

Maybe we need amend the laws to allow more people to carry guns...
No, he didn't. The SWAT team punched him full of holes.

In any case, off duty cops should be allowed to carry weapons.

Another hot-button issue...yes, banning guns will cause a decrease in gun violence, and slowly phase it out almost to the point of non-existance, but the real problem here is two pronged:

A) Lack of adequate, accessible, and affordable mental healthcare in the US
B) Widespread cultural acceptance of violence as the norm

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Another hot-button issue...yes, banning guns will cause a decrease in gun violence, and slowly phase it out almost to the point of non-existance, but the real problem here is two pronged:

You forgot C - widespread global communication - this means when something happens anywhere we'll know about ASAP - it seems like the world is a more dangerous place when in fact crime and murder rates are lower and people are living longer on average. Small local towns can't keep quiet about something they don't want to talk about and mental illness and its effects won't ever go away if we ignore it. Sure you'll get more copycats, but we are still safer.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Does anyone remember the last mass shooting, in the a mall in Utah? Remember how it ended? There was an armed offduty officer who shot the killer.
Also remember that the last mass murderer was also a foreign national from the Ukraine or something. This latest guy was Korean. Amazing how "American Gun Culture" is still getting the blame in these situations.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Also remember that the last mass murderer was also a foreign national from the Ukraine or something. This latest guy was Korean. Amazing how "American Gun Culture" is still getting the blame in these situations.
And Partsbara has dropped out of sight. Be afraid America.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The guy had lived here since 1992...I'd call 15 years long enough.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
And Partsbara has dropped out of sight. Be afraid America.
I got to chem. class this morning, and we now have a new policy. Late students will not be allowed to enter class after class has started. Apparently its for "our safety" they say. I hate all the knee jerk reactions going on here...

The problem is one crazy asshole flipped out and killed some people. The guns didnt make him do it. The NRA or Grand Theft Auto didnt tell him to do it. If he didnt have a gun, he probably wouldve used a bomb or a knife.

You cant protect yourself against "crazy" without ruining everyone's lives. I feel really, really bad about this latest tragedy, but there isnt a "solution" to issues like these. F***ed up people just do f***ed up things sometimes.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The guy had lived here since 1992...I'd call 15 years long enough.
Really? You've lived in SLC for a while. Are you brainwashed into killing people with guns? I doubt it. You're not insane. The problem is insane, evil human beings....not the guns, not the security or leadership of the mall or college.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, if you lived here for a couple of years, it is hard to say it is just a foreign thing.

And there are plenty of other killers who are 100% American.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
When will the USA finally learn to ban all guns haven't enough Innocent people lost there lives already.
A banning will not solve the attitude of violence in the US...it's a social matter than will probably never be curbed...Americans are violent by nature. A perfect example is Canada...they have more guns per capita than the US but no where near the homicide rate.....D

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
insane, crazy human biengs are whole lot less harmful when they don't have country flooded with handguns to take afvantage of. I couldn't see him taking out that many, that quickly with a knife for example.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
A predictably dog-in-the-manger response.
your colloquialisms & gun-control advocacy just goes to show you don't fully understand us. we are a people of strong tradition & fiercely diverse. either we'll sort it out, or we won't. don't hold out that any significant change will come of this.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No, he didn't. The SWAT team punched him full of holes.

You are right about SWAT. The off-duty cop pinned the killer down.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, if you lived here for a couple of years, it is hard to say it is just a foreign thing.

And there are plenty of other killers who are 100% American.
I know, Im just saying that it's not like these people are violent because theyve been inundated, since birth, with the violent images in media that America is known for. That's what people always want to blame gun violence on...the idea that people are brainwashed by american media into thinking that killing and shooting is rational in some way and so they then carry it out.

EDIT: Also, that sept. 11 thing wasnt carried out by gun nut Americans either.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
insane, crazy human biengs are whole lot less harmful when they don't have country flooded with handguns to take afvantage of. I couldn't see him taking out that many, that quickly with a knife for example.
Just like that Timothy McVeigh wasnt very harmful because he didnt use a gun, right?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just like that Timothy McVeigh wasnt very harmful because he didnt use a gun, right?
Its a lot easier to obtain and use a gun than to construct an effective bomb. How many regular citizens have the training of a respected military man who almost became a Green Beret?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Its a lot easier to obtain and use a gun than to construct an effective bomb. How many regular citizens have the training of a respected military man who almost became a Green Beret?
You mean to tell me that a senior about to graduate w/ an engineering degree from VaTech couldnt effectively make a bomb as well as some half assed army trained meth head loser? You outcha mind.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
in his dorm???
A guy learned to split the atom in his apt., the columbine kids managed to learn bomb making over the internet and made them in their homes. Its not out of the realm of possibility to believe that even without a gun, this guy was indeed capable of some serious violence.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You mean to tell me that a senior about to graduate w/ an engineering degree couldnt effectively make a bomb as well as some half assed army trained meth head loser? You outcha mind.
I was wrong, it seems he was lacking in the physical and mental department for the Green Beret, but he still had a decent career until the drugs got to him.

That doesn't change the fact that most massacres like this are not committed with bombs.

wikipedia said:
After his return from the war, he entered the program for training to become a Green Beret but dropped out after the second day of an early phase due to a lack of physical fitness (blisters from new boots acquired and used on a 5-mile march); after this failure, for reasons not fully established, McVeigh decided to leave the Army entirely and received his early discharge on December 31, 1991.[6] Before he left the Army he had emotional difficulties, and he cried during an appointment with his commanding officer.

In the Gulf, he won praise and respect from those around him and earned both the Combat Infantry Badge and Bronze Star. He won a commendation for his action in shooting an Iraqi tank commander from more than a mile away.

McVeigh was given his final honorable discharge from the Army reserve in May 1992.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A guy learned to split the atom in his apt., the columbine kids managed to learn bomb making over the internet and made them in their homes. Its not out of the realm of possibility to believe that even without a gun, this guy was indeed capable of some serious violence.
The Columbine kid's various bombs did not work at all for the most part, its not as easy as looking it up on the Internet for the average person let alone the mentally ill. A mentally ill person can easily pull a trigger.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
With such wonderful cultures, laws, governments and civilized societies available in Europe, Australia and elsewhere, it really makes you wonder why anyone would choose or seek to live here. What odd creatures Americans are and even odder, the millions clamoring to relocate to this cesspool!

With all her problems, the good ole' U.S. of A. is still the only place I would ever choose to live and raise my family. I have travelled and worked throughout the world extensively and have yet to covet anyone else's country for longer than it took to piss out the coursing intoxicant metabolites.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
With such wonderful cultures, laws, governments and civilized societies available in Europe, Australia and elsewhere, it really makes you wonder why anyone would choose or seek to live here. What odd creatures Americans are and even odder, the millions clamoring to relocate to this cesspool!

With all her problems, the good ole' U.S. of A. is still the only place I would ever choose to live and raise my family. I have travelled and worked throughout the world extensively and have yet to covet anyone else's country for longer than it took to piss out the coursing intoxicant metabolites.
what you said

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Good to see a reasoned response rather than just knee-jerk "well you guys suck more than us":twitch: . Knew I could rely on you for some good old fashioned chest thumping.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work

Good for you man. It's certainly not the worst place and if it works for you then you have every right to live here proudly. But the only reason I'm still here is because I have a job with a good salary and I own property. If one or both of those statuses changed, I would be moving to another country, no doubt. And considering the frequency of layoffs at "The Document Company", I'm just biding my time, collecting my paychecks, and building equity for when the day arrives.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I grew weed in my dorm for a year and nobody ever caught me...and it was the skunky, phunky kind, too. A motivated mind can give rise to a creative and devious cornucopia of options with but little effort or financial means to support it.
This chick I've been seeing lives in an apartment building in a very "happening" part of town, every time I go to her place I'm struck by the pungent odors emanating from one of the other apartments. I can't believe that 1) the tenant thinks it isn't obvious, and 2) no cops have noticed :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I grew weed in my dorm for a year and nobody ever caught me...and it was the skunky, phunky kind, too. A motivated mind can give rise to a creative and devious cornucopia of options with but little effort or financial means to support it.
I got away with having kegs in my dorm room. I threatened to report the RA if reported me. I knew that he kept (get this) an SKS rifle in his room.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Good to see a reasoned response rather than just knee-jerk "well you guys suck more than us":twitch: . Knew I could rely on you for some good old fashioned chest thumping.
And I'm only so happy to not disappoint! :biggrin:

I don't think it unreasoned, by the way, to question the skewed perceptions of us by those who- admit-it-or-not- aspire to be like us. If you've got something better to offer, show us; if you just want to shout down and nitpick a 9.5 for not being a 10.0, don't be surprised when we turn away and up the volume on our ipods. Even during these lowly times, I AM proud to be an American and offer no apologies for it. If you know a better way, lead by example and make us want to join you.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Way to undermine an argument.

BTW, if you guys dislike the rest of the world so much, why are you so keen on setting up encampments all over it?
teh oils are hard to come by.

that, and we have complicated age-of-consent laws

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Good for you man. It's certainly not the worst place and if it works for you then you have every right to live here proudly. But the only reason I'm still here is because I have a job with a good salary and I own property. If one or both of those statuses changed, I would be moving to another country, no doubt. And considering the frequency of layoffs at "The Document Company", I'm just biding my time, collecting my paychecks, and building equity for when the day arrives.
Understood but will you actually give up your U.S. citizenship? I would tend to doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hang out for years in Holland, B.C., Jamaica or Spain and live the good life riding and toking and whoring and pursuing every other epicurian delight to the hilt...BUT...I would not ever give up my U.S. citizenship nor attempt to raise a family elsewhere for any protracted time. I am of this land and to this land I will one day surrender my ashes. I enjoyed my Hemingway, no doubt, but the expatriate life is just not for me.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Understood but will you actually give up your U.S. citizenship? I would tend to doubt it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hang out for years in Holland, B.C., Jamaica or Spain and live the good life riding and toking and whoring and pursuing every other epicurian delight to the hilt...BUT...I would not ever give up my U.S. citizenship nor attempt to raise a family elsewhere for any protracted time. I am of this land and to this land I will one day surrender my ashes. I enjoyed my Hemingway, no doubt, but the expatriate life is just not for me.
I'd probably have to hang onto it for quite a while, and who knows, maybe at some point I would consider returning if the political climate were to change drastically. Right now in my opinion this country is completely f*cked and getting worse, and I can't stand being associated with it.