Quantcast

2009 Beech Mountain Triple Crown Series

shakedown

Aug 27, 2007
Atlanta
There is a pizza joint next to mini golf that let Ryan and Christa pitch their tents in the field next to them. Ryan has to chime in on camping on slopes.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
is there just one course or will there be a beginner line? i'm trying to decide on whether or not to bring noah but i doubt he can handle "steep and sketchy" on his hardtail.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
is there just one course or will there be a beginner line? i'm trying to decide on whether or not to bring noah but i doubt he can handle "steep and sketchy" on his hardtail.
Last I saw it was one track with several places with options. He could probably handle some of it, but the mountain is steep and rocky regardless of which route you choose. Might not be the best race for the lil man right now.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Last I saw it was one track with several places with options. He could probably handle some of it, but the mountain is steep and rocky regardless of which route you choose. Might not be the best race for the lil man right now.
Maybe not be the best race for Noah to ride in right now, but I'm sure he'll enjoy cheering on the carnage trackside! Without a doubt he'd take alot away from the experience just by watching, and getting up close and personal with a track and a mountain of this caliber.

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
The Triple Crown Series is just around the corner, and the track is dialed and flowing well! Visit www.triplecrowndh.com for all race information and more. Preregistration will not be available for the first race, so make sure to check the event schedule to be on time for onsite registration.

Camping may be permitted in the second parking lot at the resort. I will post more information asap. There are no public camping facilities nearby, so the parking lot would be the best option for riders who are on a budget and want to be close to the venue.

The downhill track is challenging, but options are available for the more difficult lines. Beginners to pros will enjoy the track and while it is not purpose built for children, young heroes like Noah could ride it. (He is an exception to the norm, though!)

With that said, the track will become increasingly technical as riders get on the brakes and pull off the loamy topsoil.

Lately, the weather has been quite volatile at Beech and will probably continue to be all summer. So just in case it rains, don’t forget your mud tires, tear-offs and skills!

bullithead

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Just moved to NC from Colorado. Hoping to make the race @ beech mtn. later this month. Only have room in the vehicle for one bike. I've got a first generation V-10 and a Bullit. Which bike would be the bike of choice for this course? It's hard to tell what to ride judging from the pics on the website. Leaning towards the Bullit cuz I read that there is some sprinting. Please help.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Big bike. The track has some pedalling but doesn't seem like enough for the little bike to give you any advantage. The V10 would probably be a lot more stable for high-speed grass turns, as well as being a lot more comfortable on the steeps.

That said, you would have no problem riding it on the bullit if you choose to bring it.

Edit: The track is sweet by the way! Rode it today and it flows nice...just needs lotsa traffic.

Last edited:

bullithead

Chimp
May 27, 2009
The wife took the kids to the beach for a few days so I was thinking of heading up to Beech to check out the course. Can anybody walk up the hill to take a look? How about pushing up and riding down?

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
I understand riders would like to take a look at the new track and ride it, but please understand liability concerns dictate it is only open for the race series. One unfortunate incident could jeopardize the race series this year, and the opportunity to open a lift-assisted bike park in 2010.

Come to the races and enjoy a fast chairlift for plenty of runs down the new track!

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Does anyone know what streets are closest to the race course. I want to rent a cabin but want to keep as close as possible for the kids

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
Camping will be available, saturday night only, in the second gravel parking lot at the resort. Each tent site is $10 for the night, and you can sign up for camping during registration.

On another note, the track is AWESOME and is ready for practice, and race day! The weather forecast looks pretty good for the weekend, so let's hope to see blue skies!

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
Just park and camp in the second gravel parking lot; the top parking lot is reserved for parking only. Weather should be great for camping!

NZRipper

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'm new to this racing thing and just noticed that the race is going to be a "one-run" deal. I've only ever raced twice before and they were both best of two. What's the idea behind the one-run only format? time contraints?

If you race pro do you get one qualifing run and one race run? What does qualifing determine; running order?

Thanks

d

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yo D -

Most larger races are only one run. So basically, give it all you got because you don't get a 2nd chance. As far as I know, the pro qualifying is just for starting order on race day.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
will there be qualifying on sunday also?I can't get off work for the entire weekend but I can get off sunday.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
What if you've been kicked out of community college? Better question...what if a guy wants to race amature AND pro? Hey, it's more money for Beech! At what point do I cross the line between smart ass, and assho*e?
Your statement brings up an interesting point however i have been going back and forth for weeks and just can't seem to figure out what class i should run in Pro or AM.....I think my bike is my limiting factor though

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Just heard about the mtboard course yesterday from one of my ATL bros. helpled design the mtboard course.

My question is when can we have that much dirt to build a super sick slalom?
Chuck

I may also have some pull with riding this stuff..... These guys have been to my slalom course to shred!