Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
frame only, no shock = claimed 8.25lbs
The Revolt won't be coming in that light, at least not in year one. Maybe after some development time with the team and athletes. It won't be overly heavy but it's not some waif like bike either. I was playing with a proto last week and with full Saint, a 40 (with steel springs), MTX wheels, DH tires & tubes, and some other chunky components it was 41.1. So, getting under 40 won't be hard at all.

-ska todd

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Seat Post Inner Diameter: 30.9

Does that happen to match up with the seat tube from a Sunday/7point? I tried to look it up but I'm at work and it blocks almost all bike sites except for RM???

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC

Does that happen to match up with the seat tube from a Sunday/7point? I tried to look it up but I'm at work and it blocks almost all bike sites except for RM???
The Sunday is 30.0mm, I would assume the 7Point is the same.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001

No, but it matches 75% of the other bikes on the market. Virtually any shop should stock this size, especially if the sell Specialized, Giant, Trek, or Santa Cruz.

-ska todd

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Can someone explain the engineering reason behind the offset shock on the Revolt?

I've scoured the internet and can't find it.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
^ + allowing pivot, shock, chainguide, and frame uprights all to fit in the same general area.

-ska todd

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Almost, 6'7", 215 :P

XL VP-free (with some small changes). As for making turns, you just gotta muscle your way through it. Maybe a lifting mad tite drifting from time to time. That's part of the reason us big guys need lower BB's, well, that and our higher center of mass.
Wait, you ride a VP-Free, and are complaining that the Revolt's BB is too high? Yeahhhhh....

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
The Revolt won't be coming in that light, at least not in year one. Maybe after some development time with the team and athletes. It won't be overly heavy but it's not some waif like bike either. I was playing with a proto last week and with full Saint, a 40 (with steel springs), MTX wheels, DH tires & tubes, and some other chunky components it was 41.1. So, getting under 40 won't be hard at all.

-ska todd
Todd,

I heard that it will be slightly ligter than a sunday - correct?

However i guess it will not take too long until we see one in the sub 40 thread anyway..........

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

-ska todd
interesting... that is whay YOUR rep (erik) told me 2 days ago ;)

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
However i guess it will not take too long until we see one in the sub 40 thread anyway..........
Headed to ride my sub 40 pound Evil tomorrow... stoked.

With race wheels and final setup I should be sitting at 37 pretty easy.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wait, you ride a VP-Free, and are complaining that the Revolt's BB is too high? Yeahhhhh....
Never said the VP-free's BB height was ideal. Also, never said my VP-free geo was stock ;). But ya, the stock VP-free geo.....what were they THINKING? Kinda terrible.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Never said the VP-free's BB height was ideal. Also, never said my VP-free geo was stock ;). But ya, the stock VP-free geo.....what were they THINKING? Kinda terrible.
That's fair. :D But seriously, the stock geo on those things is insane.

-ska todd
Why the ambiguous indication of weight? A built up weight gives little indication of the frame weight itself. I'm sure you guys would have weighed the frames, as it's an important stat on DH frames these days.

What will the frame weigh in the first year (w/o shock, but with axle and mounting hardware).

Bearing in mind the focus on weight in the DH community, I'm sure you could oblige us with this figure if it isn't the very impressively low 8.25lbs claimed earlier in the thread.

Thanks,

JT

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Why the ambiguous indication of weight? A built up weight gives little indication of the frame weight itself. I'm sure you guys would have weighed the frames, as it's an important stat on DH frames these days.

What will the frame weigh in the first year (w/o shock, but with axle and mounting hardware).

Bearing in mind the focus on weight in the DH community, I'm sure you could oblige us with this figure if it isn't the very impressively low 8.25lbs claimed earlier in the thread.

Thanks,

JT
You mean the focus on weight in the internet community. And boy do they like to make a fuss over it.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
We'll post weights when we receive the true production frames this week and plug in DHX5.0 shocks. I don't think anyone from Evil has ever publicly stated a weight. dw discussed the potential of the design getting to an "x.yz" weight at a future time in an interview, but I don't think anything was ever stated saying frame weights "abcd" grams.

The weight I put up of 41.1 lbs was weighed on a Park digital hanging scale of Vanderham's size medium proto frame with Marzocchi Roco shock, full Saint group, my personal 09 Fox 40, a Sun MTX wheelset with 2.5 Highrollers & DH tubes.

While DH racers might be weight whores in general, the professional athletes who consulted on the design and testing of the Revolt all unanimously put geometry, suspension performance, and durability ahead of weight. The weight is surely competitive. By no means the lightest, by no means the heaviest but probably the best riding.

-ska todd

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Do all the weight tards think that's it's worth having a sub 9.5lb frame (with shock) if it means the tubing will dent if you so much as look at it the wrong way ?

I'm sure they'd be the first to complain.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Do all the weight tards think that's it's worth having a sub 9.5lb frame (with shock) if it means the tubing will dent if you so much as look at it the wrong way ?

I'm sure they'd be the first to complain.

This is a serious concern of mine with a lot of new frames. When I go riding, it includes putting my bike on the rough tailgate of my beat ass yota and rallyin up a haggard fireroad all day.

It doesn't include carefully putting my bike in an expensive rack system and worrying about not scratching anything.