Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

phill1

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006
We'll post weights when we receive the true production frames this week and plug in DHX5.0 shocks. I don't think anyone from Evil has ever publicly stated a weight. dw discussed the potential of the design getting to an "x.yz" weight at a future time in an interview, but I don't think anything was ever stated saying frame weights "abcd" grams.

The weight I put up of 41.1 lbs was weighed on a Park digital hanging scale of Vanderham's size medium proto frame with Marzocchi Roco shock, full Saint group, my personal 09 Fox 40, a Sun MTX wheelset with 2.5 Highrollers & DH tubes.

While DH racers might be weight whores in general, the professional athletes who consulted on the design and testing of the Revolt all unanimously put geometry, suspension performance, and durability ahead of weight. The weight is surely competitive. By no means the lightest, by no means the heaviest but probably the best riding.

-ska todd
Did you get your fork back ?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
You mean the focus on weight in the internet community. And boy do they like to make a fuss over it.
Do all the weight tards think that's it's worth having a sub 9.5lb frame (with shock) if it means the tubing will dent if you so much as look at it the wrong way ?

I'm sure they'd be the first to complain.
When I go riding, it includes putting my bike on the rough tailgate of my beat ass yota and rallyin up a haggard fireroad all day.

It doesn't include carefully putting my bike in an expensive rack system and worrying about not scratching anything.
Different strokes, I guess.

I'm relatively easy on my equipment, take care of it, and have felt like most DH bikes have been overbuilt (at least for my purposes) for years. I think the last thing I really broke on a DH bike that wasn't the result of riding like an a-hole or having a big crash was the main pivot on my 1st generation Sunday (back in '05, I think??). I, for one, welcome the new lighter DH bikes and components that are coming out as a nice diversification to our little micro-niche.

For bigger guys or dudes who gnar it up and constantly push their bikes to and past their limits, go ahead and build up something that's a bit heavier, stronger, and maybe more durable. But don't hate on those of us who could benefit from having a lighter bike that's easier to throw around. For the most part, we know what we're getting into when we build these things up.

--JP

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
Different strokes, I guess.

I'm relatively easy on my equipment, take care of it, and have felt like most DH bikes have been overbuilt (at least for my purposes) for years. I think the last thing I really broke on a DH bike that wasn't the result of riding like an a-hole or having a big crash was the main pivot on my 1st generation Sunday (back in '05, I think??). I, for one, welcome the new lighter DH bikes and components that are coming out as a nice diversification to our little micro-niche.

For bigger guys or dudes who gnar it up and constantly push their bikes to and past their limits, go ahead and build up something that's a bit heavier, stronger, and maybe more durable. But don't hate on those of us who could benefit from having a lighter bike that's easier to throw around. For the most part, we know what we're getting into when we build these things up.

--JP
do i hear a semi-religious undertone? :biggrin:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001

Wait, but aren't you the guy who has been riding a 13+lb Shocker frame the past couple seasons and just asked in another thread about a license downgrade? :busted:

There is a place for everything out there. I'm not arguing light is bad or that heavy is good. There is a balance to be had for each individual rider's wants & needs. There are probably just as many guys running over built, heavy gear b/c they feel they "need to" as there are guys gram counting and taking drills & dremels to parts.

-ska todd

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly i believe most of this debate is the same old "i don't understand what the other guys do so it's easier to hate on them instead of finding out why they are doing it different" ****...

i like the new revolt but the only thing that will replace my canfields is a superco :D

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Well a Session 88 or a Socom for you dear brother.

Amen :)
Wait, but aren't you the guy who has been riding a 13+lb Shocker frame the past couple seasons and just asked in another thread about a license downgrade? :busted:

-ska todd
Just built up my new Session earlier this week! Sub-38# with an '05 888 and a 2nd generation SRS cobbled together out of the piles of spare chainguide parts I have lying around my shop. Once I get a Boxxer and an LG1 on that sucka, I will be a card-carrying weight 'tard.

As for the Shocker, you're right Todd - that was one heavy mofo. Had my IRON HORSE SUNDAY not sh!t the bed while on vacation in Whistler a year after I bought it, I wouldn't have had to resort to such drastic measures. :busted: right back at ya! :D

Peace be upon you, my brethren.

--JP

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
Just built up my new Session earlier this week! Sub-38# with an '05 888 and a 2nd generation SRS cobbled together out of the piles of spare chainguide parts I have lying around my shop. Once I get a Boxxer and an LG1 on that sucka, I will be a card-carrying weight 'tard.

As for the Shocker, you're right Todd - that was one heavy mofo. Had my IRON HORSE SUNDAY not sh!t the bed while on vacation in Whistler a year after I bought it, I wouldn't have had to resort to such drastic measures. :busted: right back at ya! :D

Peace be upon you, my brethren.

--JP
Oh come on! Rebound adjustment at Whistler is overrated. It looked like an old Torino with blown shocks just bouncing around on Dirt Merchant. Good Times!

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
guess the first private build should pop up any moment now, huh?
who will be the first to post some pics..?

It's a race! - Pollini in Rat Race :))

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I think the Revolt is $2850 in white with the DHX, plus $100 for black ano, plus $200 with the RC4. Mine will be white with the RC4. The ano would be sweet but for me the black is an emotionally heavy color, the white puts me in a better mood.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Just got off the phone with Gabe, my revolt's shipping today, sadly though i'll be out of town until the 6th and wont be able to put it together yet.

Thankfully it'll be sitting at my front door when I get home

just kidding, its going to my pals office.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Just got off the phone with Gabe, my revolt's shipping today, sadly though i'll be out of town until the 6th and wont be able to put it together yet.

Thankfully it'll be sitting at my front door when I get home

just kidding, its going to my pals office.
don't worry... mine shows up at my place thursday and i will be home to receive it. I'll let ya know how it rides :busted:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I like the logo.

A pigeon in a human skull while riding a unicycle seems more relevant to the times :)