Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
From what I understand all the med. frames come with 350# springs and vaguely remember hearing larges were coming with 400#, but Todd would know for sure obviously.

I would def. suggest trying diffferent springs once you get your frame. at first the 300# felt too soft riding around in the street bouncing up and down and i figured I'd be on a 350 for sure. on the trail the bike sits up in its travel a lot more than i'd expected (at least compared to what I was used to on the sunday)) and as a reuslt the 300 is spot on.

@225 i would probably start with the 400# and go from there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Were any of you guys riding in Bromont this past weekend (Sunday the 17th of May)? I thought I spotted an Evil from the chair coming up to the bridge. I'm curious to know how the bike does up there, given that its such a rough mountain...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Were any of you guys riding in Bromont this past weekend (Sunday the 17th of May)? I thought I spotted an Evil from the chair coming up to the bridge. I'm curious to know how the bike does up there, given that its such a rough mountain...
That would be Dave and I. Bike works great up there, all my initial riding impressions are based on getting the bike dialed in on those trails the past 2 weekends. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/76867/

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That would be Dave and I. Bike works great up there, all my initial riding impressions are based on getting the bike dialed in on those trails the past 2 weekends. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/76867/
Nice vid. It sure got muddy on Sunday. I'm kinda toying with the idea of a new frame, but I'm gonna want one that's durable that will last a few years. Does it look like it's going to be durable? I know "fast" is the only variable that matters for racers, but I'm a weekend warrior :pirate2: I also know it's hard to tell from a few weeks worth of riding, but sometimes you can get a "feel" for these things.

Anyways... good vid, thanks for sharing. Oh, and good lord you guys ride fast. Having ridden the same trails two days ago I have a good sense of how fast you're going. I'm still a good few feet (5 or so) from clearing those step ups and you're sailing right over them... (I gotta figure out how not to lose all my speed in the compression right before the lip... maybe I just need to go in faster :lighten:)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Sorry for the late reply guys!

For spring rates, the frames come as follows:

w/ DHX5.0
Sm=300#
Med=350#
Lg=400#

w/ RC4
Sm=250#
Med/Lg=300#
XL=350#

Fox has recommended running 50# lower spring rates on the RC4 than you would run on the DHX5.0.

FWIW, I am running 400# spring and am approx 200lbs. I am pretty much on money with the sag. Maybe would need a 425# spring but a 450# would be too much.

-ska todd

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sorry for the late reply guys!

For spring rates, the frames come as follows:

w/ DHX5.0
Sm=300#
Med=350#
Lg=400#

w/ RC4
Sm=250#
Med/Lg=300#
XL=350#

Fox has recommended running 50# lower spring rates on the RC4 than you would run on the DHX5.0.

FWIW, I am running 400# spring and am approx 200lbs. I am pretty much on money with the sag. Maybe would need a 425# spring but a 450# would be too much.

-ska todd
I have the same experience with the Vivid. I'm running a 300# but if I was on the DHX I'd use a 350# for sure. I weigh about 155

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
To answer a question from a PM, "why did we go w/ the lower rate for the Lg frames for the RC4 spec'd frames"?

Well, basically we got a bunch of feedback from guys who are in the 6' to 6'2" range (who would ride the Large) who are trimmer body types who would need to run a lighter spring than spec'd. When we talked to our global distributors they said their riders in that height range are predominantly racer guys who are leaner than us Cartman-esque 'Mericans ;) So, that's the reason behind the difference.

-ska todd

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
To answer a question from a PM, "why did we go w/ the lower rate for the Lg frames for the RC4 spec'd frames"?

Well, basically we got a bunch of feedback from guys who are in the 6' to 6'2" range (who would ride the Large) who are trimmer body types who would need to run a lighter spring than spec'd. When we talked to our global distributors they said their riders in that height range are predominantly racer guys who are leaner than us Cartman-esque 'Mericans ;) So, that's the reason behind the difference.

-ska todd
that sounds like Ameircanism to me, and thats just not cool.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
that sounds like Ameircanism to me, and thats just not cool.
Ha! Well, that and "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" It's easier than sending out lighter springs to a dozen distributors who can't get springs to tune the bikes. :)

-ska todd

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
And people wonder why there is hardly ever a US rider in the top 10 at WC's :)

Last edited:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
If you plug all the numbers into the Compy 32 there are some peculiar similarities such as:
Similar BB height range
Similar HT angle range
Similar CS length
Similar Main Pivot location
They both come in BLACK
Now this is getting freaky…

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
time to start building

so jealous!

dave. From talking to steve he is planning on having it ready by then (that was the reason for purchasing it when he did). He's gonna build it this week and start getting it dialed this weekend at Diablo. I wish I was there to watch Steve's first weekend on a non-platform shock in 2+ years! :busted:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
nice work... so are you going to have it before you go to Morzine after all ?

send me a PM for some setup tips
damn right i am...thats why i bought it before i sold my other frame. im sending my 888 back to Marz for a rebuild next week so everything will be spot on....id send it now, but i gotta ride this thing sunday!

once i get built up, im sure ill have some ?'s.

im going to order a few springs so i can dial it in. it came w/ a 400lb on the RC4, so ill pick up a 450# just incase.
i know Smith said he is running a 400# and he's a lightweight compared to me.

I wish I was there to watch Steve's first weekend on a non-platform shock in 2+ years! :busted:
im actually putting my Curnutt on right now cause i miss it so much! :bonk:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
July will be the last race we have planned for right now, but plans may get pushed back a few weeks so we might show up for a party weekend or race at another venue in August. If they get pushed back any farther I will be sticking around for the Whiteface 5K for sure. I love that race!

Either way we are moving in with her parents in 2 weeks since our lease is up :huh: The good news is that I will be within 1/4 mile of our DH track and have access to a ATV 24/7 to shuttle me back up :happydance: It is a solid 2 minutes down when it is dry, a bit longer in the wet

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
awesome....except for the moving in with the in-laws part.

the next race after the July one is September 5-6, so hopefully you guys will be around still for that....if not, ill be there July fo sho.

youre a lucky sob to have shuttling w/ a atv so close to ya....maybe you can teach Mike a thing or two

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Right, ive had enough of this, ive officially decided that i MUST have a Revolt.

And here is my new To Do list:

Break my session.(by treks definition, as if its not ragged already)
Waranty it.
Rip some mug off by selling it for like, £1800
Pull £500 out of my arse.

Buy a revolt.
Live happily ever after.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Quick Q for DW and crew (and if history is any indication, DW will have an extensive response): why no floating brake?

Sorry if I missed it already. Thread is way too long to dig through.