Quantcast

2010 Schwalbe line up!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Does anyone have a weight on the MM DH GG 2.5?
rmemeber B if your comparing it to a 2.5 maxxis its actually like a 2.7.
GGs are a smidge heavier than the triples. I cant access my pics right now but I know I have a weight for it, if I dont Ill get a pic of it on the scale shot... bare with me on it.....

Im rocking the 2.5 freerides right now LOVE the size especially in the rocks and loose over hard at the park. DO NOT run 20 psi front and 38 psi rear LOL it sucks.... I didnt bother checking the pressure after re-truing and mounting the tires the other day and then I rebuilt a few spokes on the rear but aired it up to 38 to make sure it was seated and forgot to back it off. Went and rode and damn that was the weirdest feeling ride Ive been on in a long time. Front was sticking and had roll over the rear was chattery and bouncing all over.... LOL it was kind of a blast in a weird way... Jumping out of a berm and hipping to the right off the doubles was wishy washy at best...

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I have just bought myself a set of Deemax UST rims and I'm contemplating some Muddy Marys.

I don't know much about tubless set ups and what kind of tyres are compatible or not apart from Maxxis tyres.

Can anyone tell me whether the Muddy Mary FR and DH versions are compatible with no need for stand sealant ?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have just bought myself a set of Deemax UST rims and I'm contemplating some Muddy Marys.

I don't know much about tubless set ups and what kind of tyres are compatible or not apart from Maxxis tyres.

Can anyone tell me whether the Muddy Mary FR and DH versions are compatible with no need for stand sealant ?
UST tires have a butyl layer that helps seal air in easily as its coated the inside of the tire during the process... Non UST tires do not.

So you will have to use a scoop of stans with NON UST tires...

I dont know your weight, trails there or how hard you ride but ive got buddies 140lbs all the way to 235 and occasionally we slam a rock and gash a tire including DH casings so we all use a scoop or 2 of stans in our tires...

A scoop is worth its weight in protection on any tire set up including UST tires themselves... 1 oz for 1 less flat or more is worth it...:thumb:

BTW I ran UST rims 823's and always use sealant, now on I9 rims but Stans in any set up....

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks Bullcrew for that explanation.
I dont care about the "extra weight" of the Sealant, and I'll most certainly get some then.

I still dont understand whether Schwalbe tyres are UST or not though?
I know both will fit fine on the wheels, but Ive heard that its a pain in the rear to put non-UST tyres on UST rims?

rockdog

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
In my experience using michelin (ust) and maxxis (non ust) tires on 823's. There is no perceivable difference in putting said tires on the rim, inflating or getting the beads to seat. I use the stan sauce regardless of ust/non ust. I would be absolutly shocked if any two ply tire presented problems using stans and a ust/ghetto rim.

The whole tubeless thing being complicated or more difficult has been blown way out of proportion, especially if you have a ust rim. Do it once and forget about it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks Bullcrew for that explanation.
I dont care about the "extra weight" of the Sealant, and I'll most certainly get some then.

I still dont understand whether Schwalbe tyres are UST or not though?
I know both will fit fine on the wheels, but Ive heard that its a pain in the rear to put non-UST tyres on UST rims?
Schwalbes mount easier than a LA hooker and they have UST listed on there site as well... You can click on the tires description and look for the UST listing.
If you have a little issue hit it with the air compressor Ive mounted so many NON ust tires from various manufacturers theres tricks that make it easier. 1 is instead of using soapy water on the outside of the bead pour a little stans on both sides of the rim once tire is on then fill it up. The stans acts like glue and doesnt allow the tire to roll over and burp as bad when running really low pressure... I do this on every time, wastes some stans but its been a good choice so far...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The whole tubeless thing being complicated or more difficult has been blown way out of proportion, especially if you have a ust rim. Do it once and forget about it.
I couldnt agree more! :thumb:

Quoted for truth and rep!

Im actually compiling a pic tutorial and tips for set up trying to disregard alot of the issues people have/had/or complain about..

Its a NOW how to to leave off where someone elses left off years ago and will also cover how to make your own sealant and ghetto set up including best tubes to slice for this and that I use Schwalbes the light weight tubes have threaded schraders (stainless) that a nut threads down on like a stans rim strip so its a bonus... Lighter than a stans rim strip and threaded schrader to keep it put and seal the schrader in the hole..

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Schwalbes mount easier than a LA hooker and they have UST listed on there site as well... You can click on the tires description and look for the UST listing.
If you have a little issue hit it with the air compressor Ive mounted so many NON ust tires from various manufacturers theres tricks that make it easier. 1 is instead of using soapy water on the outside of the bead pour a little stans on both sides of the rim once tire is on then fill it up. The stans acts like glue and doesnt allow the tire to roll over and burp as bad when running really low pressure... I do this on every time, wastes some stans but its been a good choice so far...
Thanks mate. What tyres would you recommend I use?
Should I go for the 2.35" Muddy Mary UST or non UST ?

I generally prefer High rollers dual ply 2.5" super tacky.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks mate. What tyres would you recommend I use?
Should I go for the 2.35" Muddy Mary UST or non UST ?

I generally prefer High rollers dual ply 2.5" super tacky.
If you like 2 ply then and 2.5 Maxxis then a DH (gold label) 2.35 will fit the bill in a guey gluey.

If you like the high roller Id opt for a Big betty rear 2.35 and a 2.35-2.5 Muddy mary front. You get the pedalling benifits of the betty and the bite of the MM up front. Guey gluey front and triple rear (hard center softer sides) will last for a long time... I dont know your terrain but this is the one thats pretty key to a variety of loose over hard and covers the widest variety especially if pedalling is a fair bit as well... If peddaling isnt then run MM front and rear GG will hook up on almost anything but the rear will wear a bit... I am bringing a spare back to San Diego next week so I can finish off the rear then move front to rear and put a new front on....

I prefer a 2.5 freeride if Im running freeride versions they are light and tons of footprint to hook up with lower pressure and a bit thicker sidewall then the 2.35.

Been beating up a set of MM GGs 2.5 FR for a fair bit now and NOT ONE issue at all.... We rode all over here in Boise and Socal so far, been great If i dont need to pedal a ton and want to absolutely PIN a crappy run then GG all the way...:thumb

Id run NON UST they have the snakeskin sidewalls I was hoing they would incorporate it into the 2011 lineup of UST but that snakeskin is amazing... I have threads sticking out from hard hits and rash marks from stuff and no damage or slices yet...

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Id run NON UST they have the snakeskin sidewalls I was hoing they would incorporate it into the 2011 lineup of UST but that snakeskin is amazing... I have threads sticking out from hard hits and rash marks from stuff and no damage or slices yet...
Travis, what about 1-ply Muddy Marys/Big Bettys for AM/light DH use (non-UST version)? Would they seal up tubeless? Would you think the sidewalls would be okay with Snakeskin? Or just get the UST version?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I run them tubeless now literally.... they have really good sidewalls especially with the snakeskin it keeps rocks from cashing the tires.. I run freeride tires 70-80% of the time non UST just good old singleply freeride versions with a bit of stans.

Hey cableguy I'm getting a place in San Diego Monday so ill be down all the time. We are riding not this sat but next sat your more than welcome to ride with us... more the merrier as well...

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I couldnt agree more! :thumb:

Quoted for truth and rep!

Im actually compiling a pic tutorial and tips for set up trying to disregard alot of the issues people have/had/or complain about..

Its a NOW how to to leave off where someone elses left off years ago and will also cover how to make your own sealant and ghetto set up including best tubes to slice for this and that I use Schwalbes the light weight tubes have threaded schraders (stainless) that a nut threads down on like a stans rim strip so its a bonus... Lighter than a stans rim strip and threaded schrader to keep it put and seal the schrader in the hole..
Just to add - I found schwalbes so easy to seat that I've gone to using tape and a valve instead of a cut tube for my ghetto setup, a little lighter and much easier to swap tyres. I've used stans presta valves so far but on rims that have been drilled for schrader I am going to try some valves cut out of moto tubes. Haven't seen shwalbe tubes with nutted schraders for sale here in oz but I'll keep an eye out....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just to add - I found schwalbes so easy to seat that I've gone to using tape and a valve instead of a cut tube for my ghetto setup, a little lighter and much easier to swap tyres. I've used stans presta valves so far but on rims that have been drilled for schrader I am going to try some valves cut out of moto tubes. Haven't seen shwalbe tubes with nutted schraders for sale here in oz but I'll keep an eye out....
Ill get a pic...:thumb:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Hey cableguy I'm getting a place in San Diego Monday so ill be down all the time. We are riding not this sat but next sat your more than welcome to ride with us... more the merrier as well...
I went over the bars on my 3rd run at Tunnel/SB 2 weeks ago. Screwed up my wrist among other body parts (nothing broken thank God). Trying to heal up before Whistler next month. I will PM you when I feel better. Thanks as always.

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
GOLD! thanks bullcrew, I'll get my lbs to order some for me.

And at crc prices marginally cheaper than any of the tubeless valves available! And I have more spare cut up tubes for mudflaps...........

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i ran the muddy mary and the wicked will single ply 2.35 tires on my big bike down some west texas gnar on sunday and they held up in the rocks. they definitely took some wear from breaking on the big rock surfaces. no issues with pinch flats, or flats of any kind. they were plety grippy in the dry sandy sections and with my new saint brakes, i could perch like a gekko on steeps to look around at the scenery and decide on a line and let go when i felt ready to roll. they brought my bike weight down to 40lbs (running minion DFH before, front and rear).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm in for both. When and where?

BTW - My blog with pix from the last ride we did - http://mandownenterprises.blogspot.com/2010/06/san-juan-trail.html

Also, do you have any input on the more AM tires like the Fat Albert or the Nobby Nic? Been looking at those.
nobby nics are SICK wifes bike has them and Im impressed.... Really impressed...
Ill call you, we just got a place in San Diego today and opened 2 shops a 3rd hopefully next week so all is going good... So im in a good mood......RIDE TIME......

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So I rode the intense trail today and could not for the life of me figure out why I felt like I was rolling out sideways and leading ogff jumps at squirley angles. Checked the pressure and it was 15 and 14psi........ so I can now say the mm fr version tires can handle tubeless at 15psi with a 235lb rider casing stuff and rolling the tires really bad with no burping and held up.... the rims are I9s and the tires match them well.... they are now back to 27/26

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
When they are on push the center down while using your fingers to grip the sides and pull out. Do this all the way around the tire then proceed. If this doesn't work and if the flow rims have a schrader pull the core out and hit it with the compressor. Once they expand to the sides they stay seated..... you can also roll the tire back and forth on the ground a little with the area not seating while airing it with a compressor... I haven't had to do this with these butthese are some tricks I've used on other tires for the last 4 years.

Sorry for any typos we moved in to our place and no internet yet so I'm on the Droid....

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Any idea whether Schwalbe is going to start making UST/tubeless ready DH tires anytime soon?

I'm currently using UST Nobby Nics for Super D, and would like to try some of the DH offerings, but not until they're made for tubeless.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Take and use stans on the outside around the bead instead of soap and water... its the rim not the tire I've run these every conceivable configuration and tons of different rims never had an issue with the schwalbes but I had a lot of issueswith other tire brands
The Flow rims should be fine. Ill keep spinning and shaking.

You yourself said you were running your tires at 14psi and 15psi a few replys back. Sounds like yours leak air too. :)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yipee, they are holding air. I did the shake thing yesterday a couple times and then set them down on the side. Every hour or so Id go out and do it again and then lay then on the other side per Stans instruction vid. Seems to be working.

I only used 1 full scoop per tire. Does this sound like enough?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Hu? IVY scoop?

The key was letting each wheel lay flat, so the bead would seal. How low psi are you usually running the MM DH 2.3 and 2.5?

I can NOT hear the Stans sloshing around when I shake the wheels. Thats why I was wondering if I added enough.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Spell check on the Droid got me....... I can't even figure out what the hell I typed. :D 1 scoop spreads out on the tire volunteer and doesn't puddle. 2 scoops puddles and sloshes a bit. I run 26-30 depending on the terrain less if its chattery and more if its a bit rocky and ridgid.
if you pour a little stand around the outside of the bead before airing it up it helps ALOT.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK so I ripped a gash right through the tread of the rear MM today. Went to the gas station took it off put a new one on with 2 scoops of stans and filled it up right there with the air machine and rode intense and the tld trail with no loss of pressure and it seated ASAP.... still good to go.. so I know they seat fast and today was a good run right after.....

Last edited:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Yipee, they are holding air. I did the shake thing yesterday a couple times and then set them down on the side. Every hour or so Id go out and do it again and then lay then on the other side per Stans instruction vid. Seems to be working.

I only used 1 full scoop per tire. Does this sound like enough?
I posted a picture of a defective bead on a Schwable tire and this guy told me it was a foreign object. I would ask an expert.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
It's winter over here now and time to "winterise" my FR bike for all around thrashing ( it's an 08 7 point so a good pedaller ) . Dragged out my winter wheels ( a combo of rims and hubs from various wreaked/salvaged wheels ) and fitted my NN's. Tripple compound and snakeskin - they never cease to impress me with their performance :thumb:

I have flatted many times in rock gardens on them and had to ride it out before pulling up and have NEVER torn a sidewall - snakeskin is amazing !!!

Can't wait to try out some MM or BB come summer :weee: You guys are getting me pumped :D