Quantcast

kite

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
The South
Yes our track is the one with the pond! I am actually the track operator now. It has changed a lot. It is a down hill track now. Nothing like what you all are riding but it is very fast and fun for our riders.
Ok the size of my riders. Dalton is 16 and is 6'2" And Cole is 14 and he is 5'10".
We are talking about going to Greenville and riding on the down hill trails there to get the feel of what it is all about. Dalton was a Factory Felt Rider for years but decided to walk away and go with Redline Co sponsorship after he had sat out of racing for a year due to shoulder injury and surgery. Cole is a Factory Evolution rider but they do not have anything in the Mountain bike world. So, I will probably have to go with buying stuff on my own. I am a little sticker shocked right now though. LOL
Its only money! ha!
Wow, you have tall boys!! :D I personally ride a Specialized SX Trail. I got it used for $1600, the guy had only ridden it for a few months then got signed to Trek and wanted to sell it. I would recommend a Specialized, I know a few guys around that same height that ride them and I'm sure you can find really good used ones to start off with if you don't want to spend the large amounts of cash on two brand new bikes. As far as I know, Beech has not released dates for the series yet.

ssimons1

Chimp
Jan 4, 2011
Lugoff, SC
Yeah, you can't really compare the prices to single speed rigid bikes. You gotta think of'em as motocross bikes without a motor. So, $6500 minus an engine.
I see what you mean. I doubt I go brand new unless I get a killer deal. Most likely start out with something used so we can try it out.
thanks for all the info.
Hope to meet you all when we get to a place to ride and race.

oh... they are tall boys! they make me feel like a midget sometimes. ha ha

kite

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
The South
I see what you mean. I doubt I go brand new unless I get a killer deal. Most likely start out with something used so we can try it out.
thanks for all the info.
Hope to meet you all when we get to a place to ride and race.

oh... they are tall boys! they make me feel like a midget sometimes. ha ha
Will look forward to meeting you! :) I'm sure another thread will start as soon as Beech releases dates and such for the summer series. I'm personally looking forward both to that and Nationals being there!

If you wanna make a trip up to NC, there are some pretty cool DH trails around here that y'all might like and will get you a feel of what NC has to offer!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Yes our track is the one with the pond! I am actually the track operator now. It has changed a lot. It is a down hill track now. Nothing like what you all are riding but it is very fast and fun for our riders.
Ok the size of my riders. Dalton is 16 and is 6'2" And Cole is 14 and he is 5'10".
We are talking about going to Greenville and riding on the down hill trails there to get the feel of what it is all about. Dalton was a Factory Felt Rider for years but decided to walk away and go with Redline Co sponsorship after he had sat out of racing for a year due to shoulder injury and surgery. Cole is a Factory Evolution rider but they do not have anything in the Mountain bike world. So, I will probably have to go with buying stuff on my own. I am a little sticker shocked right now though. LOL
Its only money! ha!
I will be glad to meet you guys at Paris anytime. I put the 2 DH races on there in 2008 and 2009. Live 10mins from there. I am all about helping others get into the sport and getting sponsored. My thoughts as for sponsorship for the boys is use their BMX background and put a resume together for them. I will be glad to help. Thoughts would be to get them both a new BMX sponsor that will also put them on a DH Rig. Win win for them and the sponsors.

Cecil

ssimons1

Chimp
Jan 4, 2011
Lugoff, SC
I will be glad to meet you guys at Paris anytime. I put the 2 DH races on there in 2008 and 2009. Live 10mins from there. I am all about helping others get into the sport and getting sponsored. My thoughts as for sponsorship for the boys is use their BMX background and put a resume together for them. I will be glad to help. Thoughts would be to get them both a new BMX sponsor that will also put them on a DH Rig. Win win for them and the sponsors.

Cecil
Great idea about sponsorships! Maybe once they get their feet wet someone will notice them.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Scot

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Agreed. But Massanutten is no place for someone to do a first race with never doing DH before. And I have heard through the grapevine/saw on here somewhere that they are considering dropping USAC for 2011.
It would be disappointing if Massanutten dropped USAC...:(....I know a lot of racers attend to qualify for Nationals. We'll see what happens....

J

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I don't think Mass is going to be USAC we will see?
I am wondering why Kite thinks it wouldn't be a good spot for a first DH race?
I think it is one of the best spots for a first race, def. one of the easiest technical
races on the eastcoast in my eyes.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
ssimons 1 - just wandering how much you have looked into DH?
Alot of BMXers get confused in the difference between 4x and DH...
Barry races 4x - hopefully we'll get him into DH this coming season.
4x bikes are much cheaper than DH bikes but, there isn't much of
a scene for 4x in the SE besides the upcoming track for the Championships
So travel would soon offset the $$ difference when there is more DH going
on about the SE and the entire country for that matter. Plus DH is much
more diverse of a sport and cooler for that reason in my opinion.
I raced slalom and 4x for many years before getting into DH and could
kick myself everytime I think about it! Jump on in man it is a really cool
scene!

kite

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
The South
I am wondering why Kite thinks it wouldn't be a good spot for a first DH race? I think it is one of the best spots for a first race, def. one of the easiest technical races on the eastcoast in my eyes.
I just think that if someone is completely new to the whole DH scene and really doesn't know what to expect from a course, then Mass. should be a race that comes a little later for them is all. It's my own presonal opinion. :) Mass. can and will be brutal.

I just feel that a first timer, not really knowing what to expect, should not be thrown into something that might freak them out is all. Beginner riders have insane race gitters at their first race and doing a race that is long, rough and fast, to me, isn't the way to really go. If a beginner rider can get that comfortable on thier bike for a race like that, then they will probably do well, I would just hate to see someone at their first race get injured because they thought is was something it wasn't. But it's to each his own. :D

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
True everyone has different opinions of what gnar is...
just didn't have Mass. on my gnardar. I think it is an easy
course and adaptable to diff. bikes. The hardest thing about it
is the flat pedalling road up top to me but, I am not a beg.-
But no big jumps, no really gnarly rockgardens, no steep sections.
to me those are things that you wouldn't want to jump into
as a beg. of course if you go fast enough a paved road can
be gnar, so to each his own I suppose.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
All depends on how much MTB riding you have done. I did my first DH race at Mass in the rain with very little MTB riding experience and it was intimidating to say the least(especially the first rock garden at the top). I also came from a strictly BMX racing background and wasn't prepared for the length of the course and physical demands it required.I wound up doing ok (missed podium in my class by few tenths) but wound up getting the crap beat out of me from all the crashes in practice and my race run. Wasn't sure if I was going to come back again!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Meanwhile, in the UK...

"Entries for the Halo British Downhill Series went live at Midnight on New Years Eve and as the clocks struck twelve, it wasn't only the bells that got a hammering. Sixty hours later and we're full to the brim and bursting! We stayed up until 04:00 to answer frantic calls and e-mails regards registration.

Would we get 350 riders entering every round of the Halo BDS in 2011 was the big question? Would the series fill up? We soon found out as the server went into melt down as riders even from outside the U.K heard the call and entered from as far away as Finland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Africa and Australia. The answer was yes and in under three days, riders were entering while still hung over after New Year celebrations."

If only we could make that happen here in the states...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
All depends on how much MTB riding you have done. I did my first DH race at Mass in the rain with very little MTB riding experience and it was intimidating to say the least(especially the first rock garden at the top). I also came from a strictly BMX racing background and wasn't prepared for the length of the course and physical demands it required.I wound up doing ok (missed podium in my class by few tenths) but wound up getting the crap beat out of me from all the crashes in practice and my race run. Wasn't sure if I was going to come back again!
Yeah, but you're approximately 102 years old! :rofl:14-15 year old kids should be OK as long as they have some trail riding background in before Massanutten.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And the north will be remembered for rude idiots and the lack of sweet tea and grits.Yes the south had slavery,everyone knows this.Your not uncovering some huge Hollywood scandal , but i guarantee that if you come down here with that attitude towards us(The ignorant south) it will not be a fun race for yall.We are proud of what we have done right and know what we have done wrong.If you feel so strongly against the confederate flag then so be it, but what about those that feel the same way about the American Flag.What about the thousands or millions that are imprisoned due to a corrupt judicial system?This country was built on corruption and looks like it will continue to exist that way.Im just saying your digging a whole that doesn't need to be dug. ;)
you forgot mellow yellow and a trip to piggley wiggley. and mmmmmmmmm grits :drool: haven't had good ones in some time.

my dad's side of the family is from the south. been there plenty of times.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Meanwhile, in the UK...

"Entries for the Halo British Downhill Series went live at Midnight on New Years Eve and as the clocks struck twelve, it wasn't only the bells that got a hammering. Sixty hours later and we're full to the brim and bursting! We stayed up until 04:00 to answer frantic calls and e-mails regards registration.

Would we get 350 riders entering every round of the Halo BDS in 2011 was the big question? Would the series fill up? We soon found out as the server went into melt down as riders even from outside the U.K heard the call and entered from as far away as Finland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Africa and Australia. The answer was yes and in under three days, riders were entering while still hung over after New Year celebrations."

the article on PB about the series makes all the US series look like a joke
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/halo-bds-sells-out-2011.html

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
From the British race article. I wonder what the equivalent list from a US series looks like?

Schedule:
Saturday - Practice is all day.
Sunday -
08:30 to 11:00 Practice
11:00 to 14:00 Seeding Runs
14:00 to 17:00 Race Runs with the Elites coming down last.

What do the riders get at each round?
£40,000 worth of series prizes.
£2,000 in prize money split between the fastest racers on the day.
£1,000 going to the fastest rider on the day courtesy of Descent-Gear.com
UCI points to race World Cups.
BC Points and Events Insurance.
5x BC/UCI Commissaires to ensure we retain the title of No1 safety record within BC for you the riders, spectators and events team.

Extreme Know How Medics, the best in the business.
Two man experienced course maintenance team at each round live on the track means no stop of play during practice, meaning more runs for you.
Ginger Rick Mechanic free of charge, we pay his wages/costs which means he will fix your bike for free.
SRAM will fix and service your gears/forks/brakes.
BOS are also supporting the riders in 2011 for suspension.
Large marquee to stay dry under.
Disabled toilets.
Entertainment Saturday night, inflatables and jousting and DVDs.
One million cans of Monster Energy drinks at every round.
Toby Parodi, professional commentator.
Tag Heuer will be timing the event and you can utilise their transponders.
Tag Heuer split timing and speed trap plus a £700 Tag watch to be won.
7meter video screen!
Free Muc-Off jet wash at every round.
Roots and Rain seeding you.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
From my experience w/ the MSC

Schedule:
Friday - Practice all day
Saturday - Practice about 3 hrs for each pro & am.
Sunday -
08:00 to 10:00 Practice
11:00 to 14:00 Seeding Runs
14:00 to 17:00 Race Runs with the Elites coming down last.

£1,000 worth of prizes.
£0 in prize money split between the fastest racers on the day.
£100 going to the fastest rider on the day courtesy of MSC.
UCI points to race World Cups - only on selected races.
1x USAC Commissaires for license $$

Extreme Know How Medics, the best in the business - The EMT's at Sol Vista where great. Not sure about other venues.

One man experienced course maintenance

Usually you can find a team tent that will help you with tools and/or parts to fix your bike.

Shimano will fix and service your gears/brakes.

Fox for your forks.

Hayes is usually there too

Hopefully SRAM are also supporting the riders in 2011 for suspension/gears/brakes.

It doesn't rain or get muddy too often (in my experience)

Working toilets.

Entertainment Saturday night, mustache and eating contests and DVDs.

One million cans of Dales Pale Ale at every round (Well back in the day....)

Cheese, professional commentator.

CJ timing will be timing the event

VAST Action taking pics

No video screen!

Free jet wash or hose at every round.

Lots of Sun and Dust seeding you.

:D:D:D

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
From my experience w/ the MSC

£1,000 worth of prizes.
£0 in prize money split between the fastest racers on the day.
£100 going to the fastest rider on the day courtesy of MSC.
UCI points to race World Cups - only on selected races.
1x USAC Commissaires for license $$

Shimano will fix and service your gears/brakes.
Where did you see $1000 in prizes? Podium in Cat 1 was nada.

Shimano wouldn't touch my XTs at Nationals because I was running different rotors... Dudes were pricks.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I figured there would be some comments about the accuracy of my post. It makes it more fun.

The thing that the MSC does with prizes is doing the raffle. There's at least $1000 of schwag they give away in a raffle which is split up between XC/DH/4x. Personally, I'd rather see it given to the podium boys...at least the more lucrative raffle prizes.

Sucks about Shimano. So if you had the old skool 4pot XT with "normal" rotors, they woulda helped you out? (AFAIK they didn't have proprietary rotors back then) Lame. There's always a few stories about racers not getting the attention they need from race tents.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would argue that if all the industry rigs decide to forego Nationals and not bring their rigs in support of the sport, it is the industry screwing the riders, not USAC.

All the crap you just listed for the UCI even is sponsorship stuff provided by vendors, distributors, suppliers, dealers and industry tech. To me, I read that is support from the riders and riding community in that region of the world. USAC is just sanctioning the event.

Last edited:

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Meanwhile, in the UK...

So if you didnt register on line you missed the boat for the entire year?! I cant even fathom that here in the states. The only race we have that comes close to selling out was the US open a couple years ago.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
So if you didnt register on line you missed the boat for the entire year?! I cant even fathom that here in the states. The only race we have that comes close to selling out was the US open a couple years ago.
Yep, crazy isn't it! They will probably have a waiting list now, so if someone drops out then they will call you up if you're next on the waiting list.

There are a couple of other regional series in the UK as well. The Pearce summer series almost always sells out online as well - I think they are 300 riders/race.

The sport is growing a lot faster in the UK and in Europe than in the US. Which means their talent pool will be a lot bigger than ours...

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
As I was afraid of it appears this "National Championship" is not on the UCI Calendar. www.uci.ch

I am speechless and very disappointed. I have always been a big supporter of USAC but guys if this is true, someone failed miserably. Yes the xc and other disiplines are inscribed and held within the UCI "window" for National Championship events. But not gravity.

I can only hope there is something in the works to correct this

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I am speechless and very disappointed. I have always been a big supporter of USAC but guys if this is true, someone failed miserably.
Its all about money. UCI charges thousands. USAC doesn't like gravity., sh!t I'm not even sure they like XC much. They're roadies.

I'm not surprised at all, why would USAC spend money on us?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its all about money. UCI charges thousands. USAC doesn't like gravity., sh!t I'm not even sure they like XC much. They're roadies.

I'm not surprised at all, why would USAC spend money on us?
point is, this is a pretty open slap in the face to gravity racing. possibly the biggest one to date.