Quantcast

2022 Northeast M'fest, Kingdom Trails, July 21-24

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
what's driving that?
Not super sure. My initial conversations have told me that part of it is growing pains within the town (some want expansion and more tourists but some of the town elders really don't). The woman who bought the lodge has been getting grief from the town for year (prior owners didn't follow any rules and that lead to some issues), but a lot has to do with parking and town ordinances. One of the big factors is that there all rentals are subject to resort taxes now and have to go through a booking agency (though I don't think this is the case if you're a local). All rentals have to meet some specific safety guidelines too...i.e. the lodge can't have more than 8 people until they upgrade to an indoor sprinkler system in case of fire and a few other upgrades.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not super sure. My initial conversations have told me that part of it is growing pains within the town (some want expansion and more tourists but some of the town elders really don't). The woman who bought the lodge has been getting grief from the town for year (prior owners didn't follow any rules and that lead to some issues), but a lot has to do with parking and town ordinances. One of the big factors is that there all rentals are subject to resort taxes now and have to go through a booking agency (though I don't think this is the case if you're a local). All rentals have to meet some specific safety guidelines too...i.e. the lodge can't have more than 8 people until they upgrade to an indoor sprinkler system in case of fire and a few other upgrades.
to a certain degree that makes sense. also sounds like some nimbys too

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Blasphemy! ;) I totally get it though....

It won't really help for our size though. Burke is really cracking down on rentals that have more than 6-8 people so even places that can sleep 18 (like the lodge) aren't allowed to rent to more and if they are caught renting to more, they are completely shut down. The place I found is a hidden gem outside of town so slightly different rules (plus she's a local so I think that helps) and there are 5-6 individual bunk rooms so you should be able to find a quietish spot. We also have the option of renting the farmhouse on site and that would offer another quieter space....if enough people want that I will book it all and then we can have 26 I believe.
Thanks for the info. Last time around it was the heat combined with traffic and I slept miserably. I'm also getting old, so getting up early to go ride and getting to bed...uh...less late, isn't such a bad thing. Plus my ability to stay up late, run DS through a house and then get up and ride 20 miles is considerably less than when I was 23.

to a certain degree that makes sense. also sounds like some nimbys too
It ain't NIMBYs.

As KT traffic grew over decades, it worked over a small town big time. NEMBAfest, which grew annually, helped to drive it, as did the Quiros Ponzi scheme. A significant local landowner, a horsey rich bitch, kind of kicked things over the edge by kicking out MTBs, cutting the trail system in half.

That made KT wake up and take a serious look at itself and how it was affecting the local community, and it drove the community to take another look at itself. KT and the community are working together to try to achieve a better balance.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Update:

Things I know:
  • July 21-24 is going to be EPIC!!! Many monkeys will gather for some food, beers, and a few bike rides...MANY shenanigans will be experienced by all.
  • Burke is becoming quite difficult for large groups (over 8) so lodging is scarce and expensive BUT I have located what I believe to be an amazing venue that will accommodate 20 of us comfortably and a few more. We will NOT be able to stay at the Lodge this year. They can only have a max of 8 due to current town zoning, but are working on it and hope to offer us a space again soon! (I even offered a group of us pitching in with some of the necessary upgrades while we stay and play).
  • Cost is going to be higher than in the past....sorry, but it's unavoidable....I am a thrifty shopper so food shouldn't be awful, but the housing has gone up quite a bit.

What I don't know:
Exact cost.....I am hoping for $150ish but it could go up to as much as $200. Please bear in mind that this includes your lodging AND food (prepped by me so really you just have to eat it and help with minimal cleanup). I just want to be totally transparent for you all (since we have some n00bs interested). It's BYOB(booze/beer.....I provide lemonade and coffee and OJ).

I am remote teaching today and my schedule is light so I will be booking this afternoon (and hoping that I don't end up with a really big lodge to myself, Sq-Earl and JBP). So, ask your questions now or forever hold your piece (yup I meant to use that piece...BadDNA)

@gonefirefightin we can accommodate the Jeep camping, but not the motorhome. There is a new campground in town that can fit it if you wanted to park there and join us though? I'll message you some details though because YOU HAVE TO COME!!!!
I think $200 is still a steal for a weekend of lodging/food. Thanks as always for living up to your mama-monkey title and organizing this all again. I'm down barring any unforeseen circumstances (and I bet Crombie1 will be down as well).

Also... do they allow mtb bike races inside the lodges? :fans:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I think $200 is still a steal for a weekend of lodging/food. Thanks as always for living up to your mama-monkey title and organizing this all again. I'm down barring any unforeseen circumstances (and I bet Crombie1 will be down as well).

Not sure about the races....we don't want to get kicked out our first year!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm so excited to see everyone!! Just be aware - if we've met before but I look at you like I don't know you it's because I can't remember Schit anymore - just go with it :) Can we wear nametags? HAHAAA

JDCAMB
JOZZ
BIKEGEEK
OMG! what like 15 years?!
It's definitely been a while :)

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm so excited to see everyone!! Just be aware - if we've met before but I look at you like I don't know you it's because I can't remember Schit anymore - just go with it :) Can we wear nametags? HAHAAA

JDCAMB
JOZZ
BIKEGEEK
OMG! what like 15 years?!
Not to stress you about your age, but first Monkeyfest was in 2003 if I'm correct. ;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don’t even own a MTB at the moment but I ride my cross bike pretty much everywhere. Currently we are booked in Lake Placid that weekend to drink and cheer/heckle a bunch of friends doing Ironman, but maybe a day trip could happen…

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I don’t even own a MTB at the moment but I ride my cross bike pretty much everywhere. Currently we are booked in Lake Placid that weekend to drink and cheer/heckle a bunch of friends doing Ironman, but maybe a day trip could happen…
We have several MTBs just hanging around too! If not for MF then perhaps a beer when we return!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey buddy

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, I wish I could make this but I'm on a family trip in July and then something else in August and the boss wouldn't let me take any more time off, nor would the fam, nor my wallet. BOOOO.

crombie1

Chimp
Aug 16, 2009
Ontario NY

Haven't logged in in a while. Yes I'm definitely in.