Quantcast

29er Trail bike for a DH’er

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've got the chunky monkey/smorgasboard pair. Have had for a while, details are a little sketchy in my memory for whatever funky names they call their different compounds.

Despite the smorgasboard being a 2.25 and the chunky monkey a 2.4 the are both on the same bag as far as I can tell.

~950gm for the chunky monkey in the softest version
~850gm for the smorgasboard in the straight 60a version

Stock they were a noticeable improvement on Ardents, with a little careful knife work I opened up the channel on the chunky monkey between center knobs and the shoulders a-la kidwoo's mods to the dhrII.
That made it bite with a lot more confidence. It was a tedious tyre cutting exercise - I really never found the tool that let me take the part of the knob I wanted removed cleanly without damaging something else.

The compounds are good, the casing is good, the pattern is ok, they are INSANELY cheap direct from on-one so I cant understand why more people havent tried them. I think I ordered ~ $100 to get free freight to Australia.

I'll be swapping them for HRII as soon as I see them available at somewhere like wiggle/crc/Australia. I will get a pair of DHF aswell. Even if it they only come out for proper dh days.

I really dont like Hans Dampf, or Ardent and these were the previous best "play hard" tyres for 29ers. So my thoughts on on-one tyres is best available at the time, still no match for a 60a exo protection Minion on a 26" wheel, probably outclassed when I can get on a High Roller or Minion.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Canfield Nimble 9 which is very similar in geo to the Honzo. I run it with chainstays slammed forward to 16.3. I love this bike. For carving singletrack it is so precise and responsive, and FUN. Front comes up easily and with a short stem you can really work it...just like a 26" bike, although I've not back to backed for comparison.

I also have a Prime (mentioned above), and like weedkilla says, it feels like a DH bike, except lighter and you can pedal up. It's amazing on the downs, but too much bike for the where I live in Ohio. I'm going to take my Legend and my Prime to 7 Springs this Sunday and see what's quicker...I reckon it will be close.

Anyway, most of my life is confined to XC these days, so I ride my Nimble 9 all the time and it has breathed new life into boring trails. I'm sure the Honzo would be the same.
There is a good chance I will be at 7 Springs on Sunday as well. I will also have a Legend so say hi if you see me. I wouldn't mind taking a look at your Prime either. I have also thought of bringing my V2 Spitfire to see how it handles things, but I don't doubt the Legend will still be faster in most places.

I totally agree with your final sentiment as well. The Honzo makes any trail fun (unless it is an extended uphill section) and it is a really great bike for my local trails.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The only downsides to the Honzo are that in stock build form, it is a bit heavy at 32 lbs (large frame) which can be felt on longer climbs. Also, I frequently find myself going way too fast, which might actually be a plus because it keeps you on your toes.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Stock Honzo is pretty heavy. Friend lightened his up considerably w/ wheels (charger pros) and cranks (X9). my yelli screamy is a lot lighter but I do like the way his steel frame rides, and the adjustable chainstay length is a plus if you're playing around w/ different tire sizes or tuning the wheelbase. unfortunately he may need to sell it (size Lg) to finance another bike purchase....so it goes.

I'm running 2.4 purgatory Front / 2.4 Ardent rear. Not ideal for really hooking up but this bike gets ridden on some long rides & I like the low rolling resistance.

That mtbr thread on the HD trailstar compound was kinda weird...why would anyone run a super tacky soft rubber on the rear? at any rate, schwalbe tires are overpriced and underperforming IME so I pretty much avoid them completely.