Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Rick205 boxxer wc may ruin the geo on the bike. The bike was designed for higher forks like Marz and Fox. The bike may be twitchy. Maybe go SL ATA 07. I'm thinking about it in my lapierre.

BTW. Nice cables. Any info about them?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Look like Nokon cables. Very expensive and from the weights I've seen don't seem to save any weight (maybe 10g if you're lucky). In theory tougher more flexible and less compressible than normal cables though, I believe.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I have looked at the ata sl - i have heard they need mods to get all of the travel though as they are so progressive.

Yes, the cables are alligator - tioga buy them from alligator and put their own label on them - the rotors are also alligator / unex (alligators sister company)

There different to Nokon in that they 'snap' together as previously mentioned, i am a retailer for them so thats the reason they are on there, plus they look pimp and go with my red/white bike and red/white gear thing. (so i can look fast while riding slow :monkeydance:)

I think the alligators are hard to get in the US tbh.
Rick

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I have looked at the ata sl - i have heard they need mods to get all of the travel though as they are so progressive.

Yes, the cables are alligator - tioga buy them from alligator and put their own label on them - the rotors are also alligator / unex (alligators sister company)

There different to Nokon in that they 'snap' together as previously mentioned, i am a retailer for them so thats the reason they are on there, plus they look pimp and go with my red/white bike and red/white gear thing. (so i can look fast while riding slow :monkeydance:)

I think the alligators are hard to get in the US tbh.
Rick
You can buy Alligator Ilink cables from Pricepoint if i'm not mistaken.

Additionally you can get the Alligator rotors from there as well. Ebay also often has both.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Ok, i stand corrected, i was told there was a patent problem in the US or something similar (i may be wrong), the rotors are readily available anywhere though.

Rick

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My iLink cables should be here tomorrow from Clee cycles in the UK if there's any interested UK monkeys. A lot cheaper than Nokons. I presume they work well, I'll soon find out!

How do you find the rotors Rick, any problems? They look like they'd chew through pads pretty quicky imho?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the alligator rotors have a bit of a 'pulsating' feel / noise to them (with my avid ultimates anyways) which some might not like. doesn't bother me however. pad longevity seems to be okay. the crappy stock organics were holding up decently, though i've since swapped them for metallics. super duper light, cheap, & they get the job done.

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic

marzocchi 66 rc2x
saint cranks
50/50 pedals
avid juicy 7's
halo sas rims
sram drive train
funn stem and seat
hussefelt bar and post
minion dh 2.5 60 rear
minion dh 2.7 40a front
roco tst rear shock
weight 43-44lbs

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
The rotors feel no different to standard rotors in terms of feel, no pulsating anyway and performance is good,
in theory they shouldnt wear pads any quicker than the next design as the principle is the same, i havnt noticed any difference anyway.

I cant comment on other braking systems but i have had no customer complaints and have sold well over 100 rotors in the last 2 months.

You could have got the rotors from my site too seb, if it was bloody finished yet :plthumbsdown:

Rick

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Haha, fair enough. Only just realised you're in the UK!

Your site appears to let me buy stuff for £0.00 - I know you said it's not finished yet but you should probably put a stop on that anyway, haha :)

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Ha, i should have it taken down really, were waiting on i-link stock anyway at the moment and only have a few colours left.

Rotors in stock again in 2 weeks if you want to try any.

Anyway, best stop going off topic so much :poster_oops:

Rick

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008

Just got some Ti bolts for the rotors, and brakes. Avid Juicy Ultimat levers, Code Calipers are awaiting me at the LBS. I'll go to a 185 rotor in the rear.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Awesome dude. Maybe we might start to get some respect for these norcos :)

I'll have to get some more photos.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I don't feel the Blindside love either. Probably rides good though!

Eren, I liked your DHR better.
I agree! Dude you traded a Ferrari for a Kia. You should have kept the Turner, on second thought, you should have kept the sunday! whats with all this bike switching dude? the sunday and turner are killer bikes, there is nothing wrong with them, but transition, bad move from a turner, quality is just not there in comparison. the turner design is tried and proven on the world cup level as well as the sunday. I totally understand supporting the local company, but still dude, you barely even broke in your sunday before you got rid of it. whats with this?

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I agree! Dude you traded a Ferrari for a Kia. You should have kept the Turner, on second thought, you should have kept the sunday! whats with all this bike switching dude? the sunday and turner are killer bikes, there is nothing wrong with them, but transition, bad move from a turner, quality is just not there in comparison. the turner design is tried and proven on the world cup level as well as the sunday. I totally understand supporting the local company, but still dude, you barely even broke in your sunday before you got rid of it. whats with this?
Well some people like trying new things and also some people don't prefer certain bikes. oops everyone is different.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
lets just say, i started thinking of 09 bikes. i got the dhr in the us for cheap. sold it here in the uk for retail, and got blindside for cheap from kevin, so i made a sh!tload of money. it would be fair to say i came on top 3K after i built the blindside up. that persuaded me, im not after the best, just something that works. next year, however will be a kick asss bike, not to say this one isnt sick.

same with the sunday, sold it here and made money, even though it was used for the season, hehe

and my sister says i shouldnt major in business :)

connor

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
they have come a long way in the last couple years. i'm just starting to get over a deep-rooted distaste for the brand that was ingrained by such monstrosities as this:

looks flexy.

Dave's going to at least look faster standing next to his Orange.

I haven't got my pimp wheels yet (ProIIs, Flows, green nipples, db spokes) and some WTB Prowlers, and a couple other little things. These are my practice/whistler wheels. Should be reasonably light, there's no Ti on there other than my springs, and the TiNi coating on my chain :)

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
well here it is, just need new wheels and seatpost. new wheels will be deemax's or hopes laced to 823's or 721's

Weight-39.2
medium socom w/ dhx 5
40rc2
thompson stem
sunline 29 bars
xtr shifter
shadow xt derailer
xt cranks
lg1
hope stepdown headset
funn skinny rl seat
raceface evolve dh post
xt brakes
front wheel- ringle and 729
rear wheel- 135x12 ringle and 729

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Frame: Astrix Havoc medium
Rear Shock: '08 Manitou Revox w/250# Ti spring
Fork: '08 RockShox Boxxer WC(BBSS removed)
Headset: Race Face Deus
Headset spacers: Winwood carbon fiber
Compression device: T.H.E. Head Lock
Stem: Sunline Inegrated
Handlebars: Sunline V1 710mm+ wide
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock On
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon w/Ti hardware 8" front, 6" rear
Shifter: Sram XO gripshift
Derailleur: Sram XO short cage
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-25T
Chain: KMC K10SL (10spd machined links, hollow pins)
Sprocket: Race Face 36T DH
Crank: Bontrager RaceLite SS
Bottom bracket: FSA Platinum 100mm
Chain guide: MRP G2
Pedals: Welgo MG1
Seat: Bontrager Inform RL or Bontrager Race X Lite
Seatpost: Bontrager Race X Lite ACC Carbon
Seat clamp: Bontrager QR Carbon Friendly
Front hub: WTB SuperDuty 20mm
Rear hub: WTB SuperDuty 150mm
Spokes: DT Swiss AeroLite
Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy anodized red
Rims: WTB LaserDisc FR
Tubes: Bontrager 24x1.95 standard
Tires: Michelin DH16 A/T 2.5 front, Michelin DH24 A/T 2.2 rear custom cut

Weight: 40.16lbs. Waiting on Ti pedal spindles, tubeless conversion, seatpost trimming, lighter frame hardware, Nokon shift housing, possibly a carbon floating brake arm.

I've been EXTREMELY pleased with this bike. The bike pedals better, brakes better and is more compliant than my M3 is. It's also stiffer. I find that the Havoc wheel path is much more ideal as well.

-Kevin

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Hey guys, I'd like to have some opinions/suggestions on my buid, pretty much all the parts are bought but I can still make some modifications for the final build.

frame v10 2008 with dhx5 ti coil
forks boxxer wc
wheels dt fr2350
crank fsa megaexo gravity light
chain guide LG1 with taco
seatpost sdg
seat I fly c
cassette sram pc-991
chain sram pc-991
pedal shimano 647
stem large bullmoose screw
bar ea70 low rise 25.4mm
tires minion dhf 2 ply
tubes maxxis welterweight?
derr x.0
shifter x.0
grip odi lock-on
headset chris king
ring truvativ 38t
brake ultimate with front magnesium code caliper

I want a solid race bike, I know some components will not last like the wheel but I got 2 spare rims. I weight about 155lb with gears.

Thanks

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I finally got my ASX down to a reasonable weight.

39.2 Pounds weighed on Ultimate Bike Scale

Frame: 2005 Yeti ASX Medium
Rear Shock: 2005 Pushed Fox DHX 5 with 450 LBS Ti Spring
Fork: 2006 Marz 888 RC2X
Headset: FSA IS2 with E.13 Reducer Cups
Headset spacers: Carbon
Stem: Funn Direct Mount Stem
Handlebars: Funn Fatboy
Grips: ODI Yeti Lock On
Bar Caps: NYC Freeride Pimp Caps
Brakes: Shimano Saint 8" Front and Rear
Rotors: Alligator Serratrion 8" Rotors
Shifter: 2006 Sram X9
Derailleur: 2007 Sram X9 Medium Cage
Cassette: Custom Shimano 11-28 Cassette from Harris Cyclery
Chain: Sram PC971
Sprocket: E.13 Guidering 34T
Crank: Truvativ Holzfeller OCT
Bottom bracket: Truvativ Howitzer Team
Chain guide: E.13 SRS with 36T Truvativ Bash
Pedals: Wellgo MG1
Seat: SDG I-Fly C
Seatpost: SDG I-Beam (with extra cut off)
Front hub: Yeti ARC 20mm
Rear hub: Hope Pro II 135mm 10mm Through Axle
Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
Nipples: Alloy Nipples
Rims: Mavic EX729
Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHR 3C, and 2.5 DHF 42a
Tubes: Ghetto Tubeless

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Frame: Astrix Havoc medium
Rear Shock: '08 Manitou Revox w/250# Ti spring
Fork: '08 RockShox Boxxer WC(BBSS removed)
Headset: Race Face Deus
Headset spacers: Winwood carbon fiber
Compression device: T.H.E. Head Lock
Stem: Sunline Inegrated
Handlebars: Sunline V1 710mm+ wide
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock On
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon w/Ti hardware 8" front, 6" rear
Shifter: Sram XO gripshift
Derailleur: Sram XO short cage
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-25T
Chain: KMC K10SL (10spd machined links, hollow pins)
Sprocket: Race Face 36T DH
Crank: Bontrager RaceLite SS
Bottom bracket: FSA Platinum 100mm
Chain guide: MRP G2
Pedals: Welgo MG1
Seat: Bontrager Inform RL or Bontrager Race X Lite
Seatpost: Bontrager Race X Lite ACC Carbon
Seat clamp: Bontrager QR Carbon Friendly
Front hub: WTB SuperDuty 20mm
Rear hub: WTB SuperDuty 150mm
Spokes: DT Swiss AeroLite
Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy anodized red
Rims: WTB LaserDisc FR
Tubes: Bontrager 24x1.95 standard
Tires: Michelin DH16 A/T 2.5 front, Michelin DH24 A/T 2.2 rear custom cut

Weight: 40.16lbs. Waiting on Ti pedal spindles, tubeless conversion, seatpost trimming, lighter frame hardware, Nokon shift housing, possibly a carbon floating brake arm.

I've been EXTREMELY pleased with this bike. The bike pedals better, brakes better and is more compliant than my M3 is. It's also stiffer. I find that the Havoc wheel path is much more ideal as well.

-Kevin
That bike looks so sick,very well chosen parts

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You guys have ALL got those crazy expensive ultimate scales havent you! Hmmm, maybe I need to get me some of that action... show my sub-36 goodness ;)