Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

I haven't got my pimp wheels yet (ProIIs, Flows, green nipples, db spokes) and some WTB Prowlers, and a couple other little things. These are my practice/whistler wheels. Should be reasonably light, there's no Ti on there other than my springs, and the TiNi coating on my chain :)
full-on sick-house. luv it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Haha. Yeah they're about £50 over here, so twice as much basically :( I've already spent the hundreds and thousands so not too concerned about that ;)

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
ah so the weight weenies from NSMB are here too:

Picture is a little old:

Current build:
Socom w/ DHX 5 - ti spring
Boxxer Team
Sunnline Stem
Chromag Fubar
Saint Brakes - 3 bolts in XT rotors
Hone Cranks
E13 34 tooth ring
Gamut g25
Shimano DX pedals
X0 drivetrain
Sram 990 Cassette
Sram hollow pin/hollow link chain
Hope Pro2 hubs
Mavic 321x rims
Comp spokes
Blue DT Aluminum nipples
Maxxis Minion 60 F
Maxxis Minion 3c F on the rear
Thompson post
Titec Pluto
ODI Rogue lockon grips
6 zip ties
Various bits of carbon and Ti

May 25, 2006
So nice, that green is beautiful. It looks like BRG to me, and I love it.
You could also still shave a bunch of weight off that if you ever wanted but it looks really solid and sleek as it is.

ape

Chimp
Jan 15, 2007
So nice, that green is beautiful. It looks like BRG to me, and I love it.
You could also still shave a bunch of weight off that if you ever wanted but it looks really solid and sleek as it is.
Ya I like it. It weighed in on a legit scale as 36lb 3oz so its not like its tubby. I could do a bit more but I am like 185/190lbs so its on that line of too light and confidence in it's durability. The only change I might make is that I am currently looking for a World Cup which will drop it that magic pound.

People have speculated about the frames weight/durability ratio and after 6 months of riding it pretty consistently it's required little more than basic maintenance to the pivots and its showing little wear. It also seems to be the perfect geometry for the shore which can be a mix of speed and steep snotty trails. For me its the perfect bike. If I ever replace this one it will be with another Intense and after seeing how quickly the founding father responded to the M6 questions I have even more confidence in the brand.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
ah so the weight weenies from NSMB are here too:

Picture is a little old:

Current build:
Socom w/ DHX 5 - ti spring
Boxxer Team
Sunnline Stem
Chromag Fubar
Saint Brakes - 3 bolts in XT rotors
Hone Cranks
E13 34 tooth ring
Gamut g25
Shimano DX pedals
X0 drivetrain
Sram 990 Cassette
Sram hollow pin/hollow link chain
Hope Pro2 hubs
Mavic 321x rims
Comp spokes
Blue DT Aluminum nipples
Maxxis Minion 60 F
Maxxis Minion 3c F on the rear
Thompson post
Titec Pluto
ODI Rogue lockon grips
6 zip ties
Various bits of carbon and Ti
nice socom! i'm diggin that green , but you forgot the biggest part of this thread the weight. so what does she weight ?

bachmayeah

Chimp
Apr 3, 2008
Central Europe
hi there.
again it´s the noob´s turn
when i take a look on this thread and on all these m3´s here´s mine which should be def. below 40 lbs.
frame is already sold to austria. ride the m6 now.

quick partlist:
frame: intense m3 frame size m midnight blue with dhx air.
fork: rock shox boxxers wc (now tf tuned with spring internals)
wheel set : hope pro II with mavic ex721 std tubes on maxxis ust 2.5
shifter and rear der.: x0
cassette: sram pg990 (last state: xtr)
chain: pc991 hollow pin (last state: kmc 9sl gold)
seatpost: easton ec 90
saddle: selle italia slr tt
crankset: shimano saint 83*165
chainguide: e13 lg1
head set: CK NTS
stem: e13 ali directmount
handlebar: easton ea70 monkey bar high rise
brakes: avid juicy 7 @ 203mm
grips: some intense

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay so after following this thread from the begining i am finally able to post up a rig worthy of its glory. so its not quite 40 yet, but soon enough she will be shedding the extra lb that will drop her into the sub 40 catagory. so tell me what you guys think of the the race rig.

ohh and i will post the build as soon as i have time to sit down and do so.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thanks guys. i spent month's thinking about what i wanted to do with it and it turned out exacatly how i wanted it with the exception of some extra parts that are on there way. ohh and thanks muelstar for the front fork man it is sick.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
DHi is down to 35.3lb now (with coil boxxers and rear shock). I'll get some photos tomorrow if I get a chance. Changes from below, er trimmed steerer tube, "One" (annoying name) front brake, ti bolts, thomson post, new-style XTR cranks, new dura-ace mech, new lighter ti spring. Think that's about it.

Oh and all-black EX823/pro2/supercomp wheels :)

Well my maxxis HR ST 2.35" UST tyres turned out to be way lighter than someone on here suggested - 944 & 982g versus the 1075 I was told. So that's knocked about half a pound off of my DHi, and I've knocked another half off with a carbon MRP, e13 guidering chainring and a formula the one brake.

Weight as she stands at the moment: 36.6lb. I'll get a new photo tomorrow, but it's just the below with a carbon slalom (instead of alu world cup) MRP, a smaller chainring and a formula 200mm brake on the bacK:

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
DHi is down to 35.3lb now (with coil boxxers and rear shock). I'll get some photos tomorrow if I get a chance. Changes from below, er trimmed steerer tube, "One" (annoying name) front brake, ti bolts, thomson post, new-style XTR cranks, new dura-ace mech, new lighter ti spring. Think that's about it.

woooohoooo! my sunday factory is at the same weight of 35.3lbs too.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA

LG1 in the works too?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS

36lb 1oz.

Still need to get a proper guide/lighter bash, swap out the rear wheel, nuke the x7 shifter for a x9 (in my tool box somewhere..) among a few other weight weenie things. Should be able to hit mid 35 with some work.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
yep. works pretty good, I ran this set up on my old bike for 6months or so never gave me any troubble.

34-28-21-18-14-11

it came stock with the big gap between 34 and 28. I don't find my self needeing that 34 as much now as I did back in the day. I might regear to 32-28-22-18-14-11 for trail use and then build a smaller race cassette with tighter gearing.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
DHi = weird ass chaindevice and not much I can do about it due to the eccentric.
Forgot about that. I would think you could still run an ISCG adapter an it would just rotate with the bb. IDK. I saved so much weight when I took my mrp off my old bike. :busted:

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
Oooh, that's a bold claim, I'm going to need to see a parts/weight list or it hanging on a fish scale :bonk:
35.3 lbs isn't a tough act to follow...considering my bike start out like this...at 37.89lbs

and then she lost some weight at...36 lbs

then finally it got it down to...

but then i finalized the my parts list to this at 35.3lbs (however, with the dhx 5 air shock it sits sub 35 lbs;

2008 small sunday factory
2008 boxxer wc
e13 reducer cups w/carbon spacers
fsa internal headset
fox dhx 5 coil or fox dhx air
RCS ti spring 300lb
gravity lite 165 cranks/bb
e13 taco
e13 38t ring
e13 LG1 chain guide
crank bros acid 2 carbon pedals
funn rsx direct mount stem w/ti hardware
easton cnt carbon bar
odi ruffian lock-on grips
xt shadow shifter/ rear derailleur
shimano ultegra cassette
KMC ti-nitride hollow pin gold chain
avid ultimate brake levers w/ ti hardware
avid code calipers w/ ti hardware
avid g2 rotors
dt swiss 440 front and rear hubs
dt swiss comp db spokes w/pro lock nipples
dt swiss 5.1d 32h rims
maxxis 2.5 2 ply minion front tire
maxxis 2.35 1 ply highroller rear tire
specialized presta tubes
thompson post (sdg i beam carbon post on order)
wtb devo saddle (sdg i beam formula saddle on order)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
but then i finalized the my parts list to this at 35.3lbs (however, with the dhx 5 air shock it sits sub 35 lbs;
Fair play to ya mate :) How much do Sunday frames weigh, I've no idea, always assumed they were an average-ish 11lb with shock but guessing from that parts list that they must be more like 9-10lb? If you've got a frame without shock weight that'd be ideal...

I'm still toying with the idea of going to an air boxxer, would be a VERY easy way to carve another 0.5lb off of my bike (and another 0.5lb if I got a DHX air too), but the Team works sooooo well and I hear quite a few bad things about the WCs - I'm not happy sacrificing performance just to save weight.

I'd like to run carbon bars too but I've snapped them in the past so am steering clear of those for the time being, when they go it's not nice, and it wasn't down to me overtightening or any sharp edges! I did have one of the first ever easton DH carbon bars though, maybe things have improved...

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
Fair play to ya mate :) How much do Sunday frames weigh, I've no idea, always assumed they were an average-ish 11lb with shock but guessing from that parts list that they must be more like 9-10lb? If you've got a frame without shock weight that'd be ideal...

I'm still toying with the idea of going to an air boxxer, would be a VERY easy way to carve another 0.5lb off of my bike (and another 0.5lb if I got a DHX air too), but the Team works sooooo well and I hear quite a few bad things about the WCs - I'm not happy sacrificing performance just to save weight.

I'd like to run carbon bars too but I've snapped them in the past so am steering clear of those for the time being, when they go it's not nice, and it wasn't down to me overtightening or any sharp edges! I did have one of the first ever easton DH carbon bars though, maybe things have improved...
my sunday factory small frame on the same scale came in at 10.25lbs with bb cups,seat collar, dhx coil rear shock (steel spring) and axle. so i would be safe to assume that its around 9 lb range.

i am still undecided on my wc...i had a fox 40 rc2 previously and i really liked the feel for the 40...but so far after about 15 hrs of riding...its pretty nice. i want that BOS engineering fork or new dorado...but that won't be for a long long time :banghead:

my dhx air is approximately 1 lb on the scale so i think you would get alot of savings there if you run one in comparison to a dhx coil with a ti spring.

i haven't had any problems with the easton cnt bar's nor do i know anyone that i ride with who has a had a problem...its worth looking into for some more savings in weight.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, my DHX & ti is 699g, so going to an air would save me almost exactly 0.5lb.

if your frame was 10.25 with a steel spring I'd guess that the shock/spring was about 800g which puts the frame only at 8.5lb - very light indeed!

Carbon bars.... don't get me wrong, I'm tempted. But I'm just saying no for now :D I have a few bits on their way that'll take me down to 34.9... after that it's paint-stripping time (34.5), THEN I might consider the bars ;)

Carbon bars, tune hubs & air front and back would see me at 33.1 :stupid: