Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Most singleplys come in around the 800g mark most DHs start 1200g + some are as low as 1100 (or so they claim +/- 40g but usually a fair bit heavier).
So if your 800 on a 2.35 and go to a DH at 1100thats 300g alone and the bigger the tire the greater the increase is from single ply to dual.

My Jedi with Kendas DH casings 2.35 rear and 2.5 front (nevegals) sits 37.8lbs now. Its 36.2 with singles (2.35/2.5 combo) and those arent the lightest singles out.
Your Jedi is a thing of beauty. I wish I saw the Can-Diggle before I bought my frame. Next time I throw the 2 plys on I'll put it on the scale and see what it says. Never had the intention of building a weight weenie bike, it just kinda happened. Thanks for the info on the tires.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Did anyone using the Kenda floating casting tires? I am using 3C Minion F and the weight is around 12XXg and when I search from sickline.
The Kenda tires weight 2.35 size which is below 1000g for the folding casting but I also noticed than the side wall is quit thin compare with Maxxis. The 3C rubber which has very good grip and I afraid the stick-E can't work very well.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Here are the specs for my upcoming build. I'm keeping a bunch of parts off my old frame, and getting some new ones. I should have it fully completed in the next two weeks.

I estimate the complete weight to be 39lbs maybe lighter.

Frame: 2008 Large Transition Blindside (Raw)
Rear Shock: 2008 Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 8.75x2.75
Rear Spring: Obtainum Ti 550x3.0
Fork: 2006 Marzocchi 888 RC2X with Ti Springs
Headset: FSA IS2 with E.13 Reducer Cups
Headset spacers: Carbon
Stem: Sunline Direct Mount Stem
Handlebars: Easton Monkeylite DH Carbon
Grips: Sunline Half Waffle
Brakes: Shimano Saint 8" Front and Rear
Rotors: Alligator Serratrion 8" Rotors
Shifter: 2006 Sram X9
Derailleur: 2007 Sram X9 Medium Cage
Cassette: Custom Shimano 11-28 Cassette from Harris Cyclery
Chain: Sram PC971
Sprocket: E.13 Guidering 34T
Crank: 2008 Shimano XT 170mm
Bottom bracket: Shimano XT
Chain guide: Gamut P20
Pedals: Wellgo MG1
Seat: SDG I-Fly C
Seatpost: SDG I-Beam (with extra cut off)
Front hub: Yeti ARC 20mm
Rear hub: Hope Pro II 135mm 10mm Through Axle
Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
Nipples: Alloy Nipples
Rims: Mavic EX729
Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHR 3C, and 2.5 DHF 42a
Tubes: Ghetto Tubeless

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
2008 Yeti 303DH. 41.09lbs

41.09lbs. This weight is with sensible parts. There are the 2.5 Minion/HighRollers, DH tubes, Easton Flatboys... No single-ply/Ti pedals/tubeless/foam grips here. This bike was built to be ridden, not weighed.

Frame: 2008 Yeti 303
Forks: Fox 40RC2
Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 w/ ti spring
Wheel set:
Fr Hub: Hope Pro II
Rr Hub: Hope Pro II
Rims: Mavic EX721
Spokes: DT Swiss Comp DB
DT Swiss Nipple Upgrade Brass Pro-Lock, Black
Cassette: SRAM PG970 9sp 11-26
Brakes: Formula The One : 200mm Fr/180mm Rr
Rear Derailleur:’08 SRAM X.0 Super Short Cage- Carbon
Rear Shifter: ’08 SRAM X.0 trigger
Chain:SRAM PC-991 9sp Hollow Pin
Cranks/BB:Gravity Lite MegaExo
Chainguide: E13 LG.1 with taco
Chainring:E Thirteen G-Ring Chainring 34t
Seatpost:Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
Saddle: SDG Ti-Fly Titanium
Headset: Chris King
Stem:Thomson Elite X4, 50mm/0deg/31.8
Bars: Burgtec RideWide 20mm rise
Grips: Sunline Slims
Pedals: Easton Flatboys
Tyres: Maxxis HighRoller 2.5 on the rear/Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 on the front
Tubes: Maxxis

Loving it.

Nilsson

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
Sweden
My -08 demo 8

Specialized Demo 8 2008.
Fox DHX 5.0 coil 8.75x2.75”.
Fork: -06 Marzocchi 888 RC2X.
Headset: FSA Pig DH Pro.
stem: Atomlab.
handlebar: Easton Havoc .
Chain Guide: Blackspire DS-1 Dual Slalom.
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller -06
Bottom bracket: Truvativ Howitzer team -06
pedals: Wellgo B-54
Cassette: shimano 105 9sp 12-25
Chain: SRAM PC 991 9sp
Derailleur: Sram X.9
brakes: -07 juicy 5
rear wheel: Mavic EX729 rim, Hope Pro II hub
front wheel: Intense mag30 rim, DaBomb Headspinn hub
Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF 26 x 2.5 3C
saddle: funn skinny RL

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Damn Maxxis DH casings put me at 38.4lbs! BTW kenda DHs are lighter than maxxis 3c minions.
3c minion 2.5 came in at exactly 1355 my 2.5 DH nevegal (which is bigger) came in at 1307 my 2.35 rear DH nevegal was 1170.
I swapped in hopes of a little better grip! I added a fraction over 1/2 lb and am not sub 38! Its a damn conspiracy I tell you! :D:D

There are some sick builds this year! :thumb: I love this thread and we get to look at the new stuff built up.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Damn Maxxis DH casings put me at 38.4lbs! BTW kenda DHs are lighter than maxxis 3c minions.
3c minion 2.5 came in at exactly 1355 my 2.5 DH nevegal (which is bigger) came in at 1307 my 2.35 rear DH nevegal was 1170.
I swapped in hopes of a little better grip! I added a fraction over 1/2 lb and am not sub 38! Its a damn conspiracy I tell you! :D:D

There are some sick builds this year! :thumb: I love this thread and we get to look at the new stuff built up.
Be careful when shopping for Nevegals. I've had 2 identical 2.5 DH Nevegals weigh almost 200 grams different. I was shocked. 1 tire was almost 1500 grams. On the other side, I weight 4 brand new 2.5 Minion DHF 40's and they were all 1290 grams +/- 10 grams.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Be careful when shopping for Nevegals. I've had 2 identical 2.5 DH Nevegals weigh almost 200 grams different. I was shocked. 1 tire was almost 1500 grams. On the other side, I weight 4 brand new 2.5 Minion DHF 40's and they were all 1290 grams +/- 10 grams.
Yeah I noticed some differences, I guess its the extreme ends of -/+ 70g :D
I got 3 sets of schwalbe and they are almost spot on of each other muddy mary. bad betty and al mighty. The maxxis were almost spot on as well.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Thanks! I appreciate it. I was all butt sore when I hammered last years creation. So it was time to go all new again and let the hammering begin again. I have 3 more things to do then its done for the season.
Do me a favor, when its finished, get some good pics of it.
If it looks that good leaning against a desk I have a feeling it would be a poster-bike with some good shots of it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My BB7, under 18kg. Will get a more accurate weight soon,but she's definatly under 18kg.

Frame/shock:- Balfa BB7 with Fox DHX with ti spring.
Forks:- Kowa 200SI(air).
Rear wheel:- Hadley single speed,DT champinon,ally nipples,Mavic 823 with Maxxis UST 2.5,with 5 8speed gears
Front wheel:- Hope ProII DT ti spokes, ally nipples, Maxxis UST 2.5 on 823.
Brakes:- Avid Ultimate caliper(thanks UDI)on ol style Juicy 7 levers
Code " " "
Hayes rear 170mm rotor(might try 160 to reduce brake induced squat(would this work S?)).
A2Z 200mm front.
Guide,cranks and pedals:- E13 guide with some ol chain ring with the teeth removed as bashie.
XT 170mm cranks.
Welgo Mags with Ti axles.
Seat n post:- Some old Kore post I had, same with seat, both real light but I'll go to I-Beam if the new rod will share the same size post(anyone with a 27.2 I-Beam post for sale?).
Shifters:- Sram X5/7 8 speed shifter.
H-Set:- Pig headset(was in it, will removeit soon if I can be bothered and whack a lighter lower one in.
Stem n Bars:- FSA Gravity light stem.
Syncros bars.

Last edited:

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
awesome bike. and the kowa makes it even more special.
unfortunately i never had one myself but i always loved the BB7. even today it doesn't look aged. i like it way better than the new appalache real.

to contribute to the topic itself: my 03 Intense M1

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
How's the Kowa performing?
Great. I'm running them soft as I'm only 65kg and they feel great. I guess with more pressure and a heavier rider they'd perform really well also. they're very plush and responsive to small hits. I added a tiny bit of oil to the air spring leg to make them ramp up a bit more(this wouldn't be a good idea for heavier riders). I didn't like them as much on my BMW Racelink due to it's steep headangle, but on the Balfa they match the rear great.
Sooo light. makes the front end easy to move about. They feel stiff also, but as I said, I'm a flyweight.
Some magazine did a test of the 160ss(single crown version)and said they felt about as stiff as Boxxers, and these are stiffer still. I've not ridden Boxxers in years, but they feel as plush as the 888s and 40s I've owned, but lighter. Great for a cheap fork. The two new versions coming out will be even better I'm guessing.

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
unfortunately i never had one myself but i always loved the BB7. even today it doesn't look aged. i like it way better than the new appalache real.

Thats one fresh chain guide :clapping:

will d

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007

Very nice mate, can I have a close up of the chain guide please

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Mine weighs in at 39.8 lbs, and built strong enough to handle anything.

Frame: 2008 Transition Blindside (Large, Raw)
Rear Shock: 2008 RS Vivid 8.75x2.75 550# Spring
Fork: 2006 Marz 888 RC2X (With Ti Springs)
Headset: FSA IS2 with E.13 Reducer Cups
Headset spacers: Carbon
Stem: Sunline 888 Direct Mount with Ti Hardware
Handlebars: Easton Monkey Lite DH
Grips: Sunline Half Waffle
Brakes: Shimano Saint 8" Front and Rear
Rotors: Alligator Serratrion 8" Rotors
Shifter: 2006 Sram X9
Derailleur: 2007 Sram X9 Medium Cage
Cassette: Custom Shimano 11-28 Cassette from Harris Cyclery
Chain: Sram PC971
Sprocket: E.13 Guidering 34T
Crank: Truvativ Holzfeller OCT 170mm
Bottom bracket: Truvativ Howitzer Team
Chain guide: Gamut P20
Pedals: Wellgo MG1
Seat: SDG I-Fly C
Seatpost: SDG I-Beam (with extra cut off)
Front hub: Yeti ARC 20mm
Rear hub: Hope Pro II 135mm 10mm Through Axle
Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
Nipples: Alloy Nipples
Rims: Mavic EX729
Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.5 DHR 3C, and 2.5 DHF 42a
Tubes: Ghetto Tubeless

Here is a pic before the Gamut Guide, and Sunline bits

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
it did when I first put in. It would bind before I could get in to high gear. This is where the file work came in. Had to take some metal out of the parallelogram where it was hitting. Once it was leveled down a bit everything worked great.

I'm still a bit surprised that the X0 did not need any work, maybe sram is accommodating this kind of mod's for us now?

If you want I can grab a quick shot my my filed x9 for reference.