Quantcast

40lb post! DH/FR Rigs around the 40lb mark! tips, pics, specs

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
good write up!

Do you not need to run the stans rubber rim strip with the stans rims?
Not when using the Stan rims. The yellow stans tape is the weight weenie solution. I've had 0 luck using the yellow tape on non stan rims though. Might be something to do with rim deepness.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Still I don't see why light guys brag about how ligt they can go. I'm 155 and I'd rather go 10lb of muscle up than 2lb of bike down.
I'm with you. There's no way that my bike will ever be under 40. it's probably around 47 actually. I'm about 214 without any gear. With everything on, i'm probably about 230. Instead of shaving weight off my bike by spending a grip of $$, i should probably try shaving a bit of weight off my body first. Shave a bit of weight off the body, put on a little more muscle, then learn how to man handle my bike down the hills. If i had the lightest tubes, tires, rims, springs, and seat..........I'd still be just about as slow.

A lighter bike might even make me more tired by the end of a run. I'd be working that thing all over the trail thinking that i'm faster than way instead of just picking a line and going through it like i normally do.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You would be way better off with that 6 speed stack moved inboard rather than outboard (and you can do it as you are running a 12 rather than an 11). As it sits now, your chainline is seriously f'ed.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
You would be way better off with that 6 speed stack moved inboard rather than outboard (and you can do it as you are running a 12 rather than an 11). As it sits now, your chainline is seriously f'ed.
I considered that, but had already ordered the SS hub. The Stylo cranks didn't help much either keeping the best chainline. I decided I chose those parts, better keep them. The chainline is not bad at all: no rubbing on the bashguard, no funny noises or grinding, and no issues shifting with the setup I have. The drivetrain might wear funny, but that cassette is already a year old.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Hm, my 9.5" travel M3 is going to be sitting right at 40# with no p*ssy parts on it once I put the new fork on.

M3/CCDB/ti spring, '07 888 RC2X WC, (older) Saint cranks, Maxxis 2plys, 8" brakes blah blah blah

Good enough for me, especially since I didn't really TRY to go superlight on it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Hm, my 9.5" travel M3 is going to be sitting right at 40# with no p*ssy parts on it once I put the new fork on.

M3/CCDB/ti spring, '07 888 RC2X WC, (older) Saint cranks, Maxxis 2plys, 8" brakes blah blah blah

Good enough for me, especially since I didn't really TRY to go superlight on it.
With the exception being what is likely a mis-aligned frame :rimshot:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm with you. There's no way that my bike will ever be under 40. it's probably around 47 actually. I'm about 214 without any gear. With everything on, i'm probably about 230. Instead of shaving weight off my bike by spending a grip of $$, i should probably try shaving a bit of weight off my body first. Shave a bit of weight off the body, put on a little more muscle, then learn how to man handle my bike down the hills. If i had the lightest tubes, tires, rims, springs, and seat..........I'd still be just about as slow.

A lighter bike might even make me more tired by the end of a run. I'd be working that thing all over the trail thinking that i'm faster than way instead of just picking a line and going through it like i normally do.
47 is overkill. You can have easily 37-40lb bike that will withstand any kind of abuse. I'm right now at 39-40lb with very heavy tires and hubs that weight 700g(both not single), plus easton havoc seatopost and 888rc2x and don't have one fragile part on my bike. If you have the cash I can see how you can go even around 36lb with the same strength but XC parts and 33-34lb bikes are simply not meant for dh.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
OBB, beautiful bike! Almost perfect for me ;)
Where did you find 1,5" CF headset spacers?! I've been looking for them for a year!
Congrats, man!

Dean W

Chimp
Nov 26, 2008
So I guess I'll throw my hat into the mix.

Comes in at a under 37lbs with a steel spring and dual ply tires.

preproduction 2009 Banshee Legend Mk 1 (small 15")

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Spreadsheet

I know that I made several compromises regarding durability or even function with this build. My riding style is typical for BC riders: I ride jumps, rock gardens, steep descents, fast singletrack, sketchy lines, tough climbs, and high speed trails. I don't usually shy away from any line if I'm having a decent day of riding but I know that coming up short or erring in judgment will cost me dearly. This will be more so with a lighter build but that is the price of being a gear freak and a weight weenie. Happy Trails!
Hey, thanks for putting the time in for that write up. How you liking the Stylos. if you don't mind me asking?

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Hey, thanks for putting the time in for that write up. How you liking the Stylos. if you don't mind me asking?
I like them on my DJ bike, and on my old 4X bike. No time on the DH bike so far.

OBB,
Why didnt you use ti Wellgos and a Blackspire Lite God Bash? Could of lost another 100g. :)
Didn't feel like spending the extra money yet. I may get a set of Ti Wellgos sometime this year. The Bash I have now is about 10 grams heavier than the actual weight of the Blackspire bash and was free.

:lighten:...and with a regular Hope Pro 2 and a Dura Ace 11-21 another 100g :biggrin:
Yeah, I'm kicking myself a bit for not getting a regular Pro2. Would have been lighter and corrected the chainline. I like the 26T cog as a minimum for riding as I still pedal this bike around a bit. The Dura Ace combo would have saved me a negligible amount of weight at a high cost. The XTR cassette I had lying around.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The 6spd cassette is an XTR cassette. I removed the top two cogs which share a common carrier, and the 16T cog that was between the 18T and 14T. Using an XTR cassette and getting a consistent decrease in cog size is really only possible with the 12-34 or 12-32 cogsets. The 11-34s have cog combinations that leave you with big gaps in the ratios.
I'm a big fan of less gears on DH bikes and run less gears on my DH bike too (not for weight savings) but I'm curious as to your choice of sprockets, it seems like you have missed how gear ratios actually work, By removing the 16T sprocket you've left a huge gap in ratios between the 14 - 18T right where it matters most for a DH bike (although, if it works for you, fair enough)

Guessing your sprockets are 12, 14, 18, 20, 23, 26? looking at sprocket teeth No.s the jumps in sprocket size seem even but with the 36T ring that doesn't give very even jumps in gear ratio at all. IMO you'd be better dropping the 23T and keeping the 16T in there.. it's not like you'll ever use 36/23 on a DH track (even on tracks with short uphill sections) and your 26T is only there for climbing anyway so it's not like you need a super smooth shift onto it.
You'll also probably save a gram or too :twitch:

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I'm a big fan of less gears on DH bikes and run less gears on my DH bike too (not for weight savings) but I'm curious as to your choice of sprockets, it seems like you have missed how gear ratios actually work, By removing the 16T sprocket you've left a huge gap in ratios between the 14 - 18T right where it matters most for a DH bike (although, if it works for you, fair enough)

Guessing your sprockets are 12, 14, 18, 20, 23, 26? looking at sprocket teeth No.s the jumps in sprocket size seem even but with the 36T ring that doesn't give very even jumps in gear ratio at all. IMO you'd be better dropping the 23T and keeping the 16T in there.. it's not like you'll ever use 36/23 on a DH track (even on tracks with short uphill sections) and your 26T is only there for climbing anyway so it's not like you need a super smooth shift onto it.
You'll also probably save a gram or too :twitch:
If I had a true DH bike, I would have ran the bottom 6 cogs from a Dura Ace cassette. This Demo will get ridden everywhere at some point, so having a spread in gears was best for me. I'm not overly pleased with the jump from the 14T to the 18T cogs, but I had to settle as I already owned the cassette and had to make due.

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks Bullcrew!

It's an 08' Devinci Wilson 4. Never got rid of them for weight, just always liked a very clean looking frame. Next step is to re-route the cables into the centre channel.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
I don't think that bike is allowed here...no, not because of the tires...

The title clearly states; AROUND the 40lb mark!

If your rig was allowed, we'd have to start allowing 47.1lb builds...:busted:

But, really, your build is pretty dedicated...

Last edited:

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Here is my baby, hehe!

It's 16.4kg right it is now and how i raced this weekend.There is some difference from the actual picture on components. Still we can cut some more weight on it, right now is with boxxer race, we can upgrade to world cup that should be around 300gr less, dee max 2009 on it (2008 on picture) with drilled holes for use of tubes kenda 26. 2.35 front and rear tubes with minion front on both wheels in 2.5, XT derrelleur until i get a tuned XTR with Saint shot cage, steel spring 300Lbs right now should upgrade to a obtainium, selle italia seat on actual one, mallet 3 pedals and not much more to go.... Special stem i designed with 109gr with all bolts on titanium... Frame is same type as Barel but smaller, this is only prototype and only for racing as the frame is super light... was specially made for south africa and worlds... but you know what happened...

Small vid I got from the weekend, hehe!
Cesar Rojo Maçanet de cabrenys on Vimeo

Anyway bike is 36.15Lbs. Hope you enjoy! :)