Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh

the HR zone thing was just to poke the woo-bear, for the record. i will ascend at a leisurely pace, free of metrics until I upload it to Strava.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Keep your instep tight, let the top of your boots go looser for more flex. Adjust the toe clip so you don't get bad pinky toe rub.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
*ahem*

I take no responsibility for....you know

I mean. You know.
Haha, I have the UN spec in my Land Cruiser.

B9FC05C3-50BA-4FE5-9CB6-8BC3535521E7.jpeg

37D2BD28-D03B-4F0E-92B3-D3E4E2294B78.jpeg

I had a base model Tacoma when I lived in Durango and Girdwood before downgrading to a backpack living off the money I sold the Tacoma for.

Then years later I realized I miss old Toyota trucks.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Haha, I have the UN spec in my Land Cruiser.

I had a base model Tacoma when I lived in Durango and Girdwood before downgrading to a backpack living off the money I sold the Tacoma for.
so we're projecting

that hurts

I've had idiots offer me 18k for my shitty falling apart 2008 very much base model which is more than I paid for it. It's worse than bitcoin.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
so we're projecting

that hurts

I've had idiots offer me 18k for my shitty falling apart 2008 very much base model which is more than I paid for it. It's worse than bitcoin.
Maybe projecting? I don’t follow everything. But you just can’t call a Land Cruiser a Rover. Just can’t. Even if it’s an 100 series with IFS and shares lots of parts with a 4Runner, haha.

I know! My rusted to fuck land cruiser is now somehow worth a lot more than the 8500.- I paid for it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe projecting? I don’t follow everything. But you just can’t call a Land Cruiser a Rover. Just can’t. Even if it’s an 100 series with IFS and shares lots of parts with a a 4Runner, haha.
hold on......looking for the smallest speck of dust to demonstrate how much I care about the trophy vehicle a doctor drives and parks like a weirdo in the middle of a midlife crisis.....

be right back

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
hold on......looking for the smallest speck of dust to demonstrate how much I care about the trophy vehicle a doctor drives and parks like a weirdo in the middle of a midlife crisis.....

be right back
Ah, no i was trying to be funny while upholding the integrity of the Land Cruiser reputation and differentiate between a Land Rover. I have humor challenges and Toyota jokes.

The last thing I want to do if prove anything. I’m here for the fart jokes and sick DH content.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also attempted to make the obscure joke that he has a 4Runner with a Land Cruiser body and IFS. Ie. Not a real Land Cruiser.
But is it really? Sounds like you're describing a Prado, no?

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
Keep your skis nicely waxed and the skins will stick and peel off better. Didn't see it mentioned above and it is akin to keeping your drivetrain clean.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
[QUOTE="kidwoo, post: 4701810

PAY SOMEONE TO...
[/QUOTE]

PAY SOMEONE TO...
[/QUOTE]

Cotopaxi enthusiasts approve of this message

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyone want to wager whether I

love it
hate it—the noise!
am indifferent about it

after tomorrow?

or do y'all just not care hmm

update: all packed for tomorrow! tech toes on, Pivot toes in my bag.

IMG_8119.jpeg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I read on his stravas that his brakes didn't work and his bic biro workaround was suboptimal.

I have zero ideas on planks let alone braking systems on such things :p

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
That is definitely not something that has never happened to me.

Though IIRC the brake was deployed, the snow was maybe too hard for the brake to get purchase? Something like that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i walked uphill

started out with my shell over this (and a gaiter over my head and ears like a true Euro goon) but got hot quickly

went up Mary Jane then partway up Whistlestop from the top.

the top part of Mary Jane was too steep for the friction afforded by my skins + my weight distributed over their surface area, even when making sure to keep them flat on the snow surface. was a bit unnerving to be in pin bindings and sliding a bit. ended up carrying my skis up 200' or so, this the section above the cat track over from the gondola, the true top part.

while other snow conditions + other skins may be different, these Pomocas + spring groomed snow was very quiet as far as the skin-snow interface. the skins didn't glide as well as I'd anticipated but on the other hand grip was just fine save for the one quite-steep pitch. all the stuff under the level of the cat track to MJ from the gondola was fine, for example.

video here for 'woo

i did have some equipment issues as Jm_ had sagely forecast. one of the Dynafit toe pieces released unexpectedly a few times (on that same steep last pitch!). with brakes retracted but skins oriented the right way the ski did not run away, though.

the other issue was that one of the Cast brake locking mechanisms was spazzy and didn't stay locked for more than a few minutes. I ended up wedging a Bic pen I had in my pack, and that worked well enough for ~10 min periods, where I'd have to reset its position.

I swung by Powder7 on the way back and they adjusted the little metal tabs on one of the Dynafit toes to hopefully cure that issue, and they replaced (with me paying their cost for the extra part) the brake lock in question. mildly annoying it's not a straight no-cost warranty issue but now I have extra brake locks in case I need 'em, and I also ordered some Voile straps to keep in my pack to tie them up more permanently should this replacement not work similarly.