Quantcast

Alpine touring skis

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Salomon Shift AT boot in a 106mm wide last? Dang.
What does 100-106 mm mean, though? Like varies by shell size? Super confusing imo

Edit: powder7 to the rescue:

a mid-volume 100mm last that expands with Custom Shell HD fitting to 106mm

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Matt at Bentgate is the man for boot fitting. :thumb:
Like @Nick said, Matt @ Bent Gate is a really solid bootfitter.
Bent Gate doesn't sell Tectons, apparently. But they do have the Shift.

I should go in for a bootfitting/shooting the shit session.
Made an appointment for 11 am on Friday at Bentgate. Shall let him sell me some frontside and/or AT boots if they fit just right, princess slipper style

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What does 100-106 mm mean, though? Like varies by shell size? Super confusing imo

Edit: powder7 to the rescue:
I also wondered what the 100/106 meant, I thought maybe it was general width and forefoot width? But expandable from/to makes sense. I guess.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also wondered what the 100/106 meant, I thought maybe it was general width and forefoot width? But expandable from/to makes sense. I guess.
apparently there's a panel on the lateral foot section of the shell that's of a plastic that's more easily moldable with heat. a built in punch-out option, if you will

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Made an appointment for 11 am on Friday at Bentgate. Shall let him sell me some frontside and/or AT boots if they fit just right, princess slipper style
Did you request Matt in your notes?
Consider a 50/50 boot, they're getting so much better at skiing and the occasional touring, and most of those have grip walk soles which "can" work with the Pivots on your other skis (with correct afd). Full 9523 touring soles will not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did you request Matt in your notes?
Consider a 50/50 boot, they're getting so much better at skiing and the occasional touring, and most of those have grip walk soles which "can" work with the Pivots on your other skis (with correct afd). Full 9523 touring soles will not.
I did not request Matt but will inquire about his presence when I show up a bit early.

Thanks for the tip re soles. My Pivot 14s indeed work with GripWalk--swapped the sole plates on my Tecnicas to GripWalk ones last season iirc after verifying they're compatible and don't even have to switch the height of that front plate as you allude to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@Toshi
I was in bentgate earlier, they have a bunch of the K2 touring skis mounted with dynafits, for rent/demo.
^try these

Then accept what should now be the obvious problem with backcountry skiing (too much shit), the fact that everyone else in colorado already did what you're thinking now and winter trailheads are just as crowded as ski areas..........and then go buy a snowmobile and leave all that bullshit in the rearview mirror.

It's what I call the futility of the prius and backcountry skiing and everything else affluent white people think is cool that month creating constantly evolving rat races.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi
I was in bentgate earlier, they have a bunch of the K2 touring skis mounted with dynafits, for rent/demo.
I should get them to fit me for a 50/50 boot so that I can try out these rentals (and maybe be more comfortable than my packed out but still too tight in places Tecnicas).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have some wide-ass feet

true story

tried on a bunch, picked out from the range by Alex (Matt works M-Th, it turns out), who has similarly nominally wide feet to mine albeit 1.5 sizes longer:

None were close enough. I think he was going for 27 in order to try to get the volume but they didn't feel right in the forefoot due to the oversizing. The Salomon was the closest but I didn't love it, esp on my right foot, and it'd need lots of work. Didn't have time for that.

I did walk out of there with new poles for my almost normal human sized eldest kid (who likes blue) and new Intuition liners for my existing alpine boots, as its current liners are very packed out by this point. Right now they're too tight but I'll ski a day with them and come back and meet Matt and get these molded some other day.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Planned attempts at AT bootfitting for my feet-mallets, in chronological order:

- Fri Feb 17, walk in at Christy Sports. Satisfaction guaranteed through the end of the season after purchase.
- Mon Mar 13, appointment with Matt at Bentgate. No guarantees. Perhaps I should just cancel edit: canceled this. As no return policy unlike the others!
- Mon Mar 20, appointment at Evo. With their higher end of two EvoFit packages get adjustments for a year included, and store credit at the end of the term if not satisfied.

If none of these pan out I’ll ski my current alpine boots forever and ever. :D

In other news reading the Blister review of the Tecton makes it sound like 100% what I’m looking for, being a DIN 9 type skier when inbounds (saw a few too many inadvertent ejections at 8 with how I naturally ski). Elasticity and release options all sound good.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I buy the skis you want to ski, and decide which bindings make the most sense to you. Pin/tech style are way better to hike with, step in alpine style are better to ski with because they let the ski flex under your foot a little better.

Stay away from the super lightweight shit. Like bikes, stuff made for uphill sucks for the thing that you're actually going uphill for.
Ok, so I’m hearing Tectons, another Mindbender 108 Ti pair, and get fitted by Larry’s bootfitting with something non-wimpy. Reasonable summary?
so I took all the above advice to heart, and just ordered the last 2020 demo set of Mindbender 108 Tis from powder7, same 179 cm that my daily drivers are. I have a week after picking them up to change my mind, of course.

Idea for this would be to put Tectons on, mate them with some 50/50 boots should I ever get fit properly, and have a setup I like to ski on, anywhere. Just slowly uphill, not that I’d be fast even in light gear. Because physics and all

Oh, just remembered: I'm pretty sure Bent Gate and Powder 7 rent/demo AT stuff. Including boots, if I'm not mistaken. Another option for "trying it out" before you invest a pile of money into it.
I didn’t heed this, though. But I do have time to reconsider. I’ll shoot the shit with the powder7 people when I pick up the demo set. They have Warden MNC 13 alpine bindings on them now. Powder7 had a few demo AT setups for sale with Tectons already but I know what I like in skis, and the 108 Ti and I get along well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, non ski/binding/boot related topics:

I should take a AIARE course.

And there's other gear:

Crampons and a harness?!

Do you all use airbag packs? If so, which ones?

Since I'm a newb I was thinking:

- Ortovox Diract Voice Rescue Set (transceiver, shovel, prove)
- Backcountry Access Float 32 airbag pack
- Suunto MC-2G Navigator since someone said topo maps and a compass are a good idea

All advice appreciated.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

And there's other gear:

Crampons and a harness?!

- Suunto MC-2G Navigator since someone said topo maps and a compass are a good idea

All advice appreciated.
airbags are kinda heavy/take up space, and awkward. I bought one, wore it for a while and now don't. I just decided my approach of never being in an avalanche was better

Look at mammut transceivers. They are insanely easy to use and after going through a rescue training class and seeing some version of most of what's out there in real rescue scenarios, it became pretty obvious pretty quickly how much faster you can find someone with one of those. I just bought one based on seeing them all in action.

Ortovox maybe a close second. Much more complicated though.

Don't worry about harnesses.....just go skiing not rappelling first. Buy crampons if you want to ski into deep spring time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

And there's other gear:

Crampons and a harness?!

All advice appreciated.
Forgo the airbag pack. *If* you decide to go into avalanche terrain at some point, an airbag might be a reasonable thing to get.

Oh - and get Avy 1 training before you get ANY of this other shit. And keep in mind you live in the *most* dangerous area in North America WRT snowpack. It's almost always shit here. Even when it's not shit, it's shit. Until spring consolidation comes...

And buy these books before taking a class:

1676482438542.png

1676482500234.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ortovox maybe a close second. Much more complicated though.
This Ortovox is the one with voice commands. Like an AED. Seems like a good idea to have one less thing to think about in a crisis.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This Ortovox is the one with voice commands. Like an AED. Seems like a good idea to have one less thing to think about in a crisis.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan. If you're doing a search you need to be communicating with other people, not listening to some squawk box that's not as smart as you.

I could see that being useful for someone without training (which includes beacon practice) but you're going to have that......remember? ;)

The flagging feature on the mammut for multiple burials is far superior by being far simpler. I've used both in practice now. Full confession: I took the rescue class specifically to see multiple beacons used in practice so I paid attention to what problems were caused by some systems. Like I said, it would probably be 2nd place in my mind but people with the mammuts found shit quicker. Universally.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ok. So like this:

Yep. They make a more expensive 'pro' beacon but the differences are minor. That's the one I bought.

worth noting: I ride snowmobiles with a few AIRE professional instructors, all of them teach motorized avy courses now, and all but one used to teach non-motorized classes. They all use the one in your link, or the 'pro' version if that means anything to you.

Regardless of what you get, practicing with it is the most important part of learning to use that stuff.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

And there's other gear:

Crampons and a harness?!

All advice appreciated.
I did my AIRIE in RMNP from CMC. https://coloradomountainschool.com/
Education + beacon, probe, shovel at minimum. Combined with trustworthy partners.
I own an airbag but only wore it 1-2x. If you really want one, I might part with this one.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Why do you not use the airbag? Bulk?
You didn't ask me specifically, but I'll answer.

Yet again I agree with @kidwoo here: just not being in an avalanche is my primary goal/focus. A buddy put it this way (paraphrasing here): "If a go / no-go decision at the top of a line comes down to whether or not I have an airbag pack on, maybe I should re-evaluate my decision making." Not that avi airbags don't save lives (they do) but nothing trumps knowledge and good decision making, so I go with that. Otherwise cost and weight have been concerns in the past but I should re-examine that. And this might be an old school myth, for a lot of where I ski in the backcountry I don't think the airbag is as effective e.g. areas with obstacles that would cause trauma (trees) vs. wide open spaces. Again, this could be more myth than fact and I should re-assess. Certainly there are some lines I'll want to get on where the extra safety aspect of an airbag would be warranted. I'd like to ski La Plata this spring/early summer, for instance.

I know @Toshi likes reading...

I'll also parrot what everyone else here is saying: get the education first and foremost. Before you buy any of the stuff. Learn to recognize avalanche terrain, be aware of the snow conditions, travel in the backcountry, and make good decisions. You know, basically learn how to not be in an avalanche.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Well, I already bought the skis. Unless I think better of it and return them within 7 days of pickup. Which I well might.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
An airbag won't save you if you get caught in a slide in a treed area (or above a treed area) because you're going to get worked via bodily trauma.

And realistically, you're getting all this shit to get away from ski areas, so the goal is more along the lines of having fun skiing without the entirety of denver around.....not necessarily going to ski big exposed lines which are where an airbag is more beneficial.