Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith's A.T. Thru Hike Thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
My pack has a recommended base weight of 15 lbs. Base weight is your pack and everything in it that is non-consumable like food, fuel, toilet paper, etc. Currently I'm at 14.8 and by my calculations I still have another 5.4 lbs of gear to add making it 20+ lbs. So I have some trimming to do. Got to cut some weight somewhere.

Consumables and water will add 3 lbs and food works out to be 2 lbs per day. The start, at Amicalola Falls and the Approach trail to the first resupply at Neels Gap is around 40 miles. Should take no more than four days. So that's an additional 11 pound on top of base weight. At 20 lbs plus 11 just makes my back hurt adding it up. 26 pounds would be way better to start with than 31 pounds.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My pack has a recommended base weight of 15 lbs. Base weight is your pack and everything in it that is non-consumable like food, fuel, toilet paper, etc. Currently I'm at 14.8 and by my calculations I still have another 5.4 lbs of gear to add making it 20+ lbs. So I have some trimming to do. Got to cut some weight somewhere.

Consumables and water will add 3 lbs and food works out to be 2 lbs per day. The start, at Amicalola Falls and the Approach trail to the first resupply at Neels Gap is around 40 miles. Should take no more than four days. So that's an additional 11 pound on top of base weight. At 20 lbs plus 11 just makes my back hurt adding it up. 26 pounds would be way better to start with than 31 pounds.
are you hiking solo or do you have a confirmed partner?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Those are all VERY light backpacking loads. You'll have no problem. It's when shit starts to get in the 50# range that things get rough. :)

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

What type of sleeping bag do you have?

AT should be "warmer" that PT/CDT

I picked up a quilt-style (top only) bag when I thought I would be interested in bike packing a few years ago, and it's so much smaller and lighter than a traditional bag

Something like this might help pare some weight and $.

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-ultralight-backpacking-quilts/

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Solo. Learned a long time ago that if I wait for a partner to do stuff, then I will most likely be waiting for quite some time. Remember, I like @jstuhlman, do Pisgah epics solo.
was gonna say if you have a partner you can divide equipment you''ll only need 1 of (so there's no extra weight from redundant gear)

While I have been accused of packing small trees for legs, my back is pretty weak and subject to spasms. Low weight for me is critical.
there are exercises for this.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
What type of sleeping bag do you have?

AT should be "warmer" that PT/CDT

I picked up a quilt-style (top only) bag when I thought I would be interested in bike packing a few years ago, and it's so much smaller and lighter than a traditional bag

Something like this would help you pare some weight:

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-ultralight-backpacking-quilts/
https://enlightenedequipment.com/convert-stock/

I have a 20° Convert. It opens up and can be spread out like a quilt. Probably going to get a sleeping pad cover which might negate the need to swap out bags for a 40° once as it gets warmer.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
was gonna say if you have a partner you can divide equipment you''ll only need 1 of (so there's no extra weight from redundant gear)

there are exercises for this.
Dividing gear is for couples. Two dudes, even bros, are going to end up hiking separately at some point. Best to have all your own stuff.

Yup, lots of stretching. Something I do need to improve upon.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was fine. Until some Bikers came by. They were having much more fun then I. After that the pack started killing me. The new boots were good though. New pack and boots need to be comfortable on the Motorcycle also. Admittedly I reached bitch mode early on. Seemed like we going up for the sake of suffering. The downs were not as fun either... My friend lent me her poles. It was better after that. I am old and out of shape. Then I ran out of water. Rookie am I...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I was fine. Until some Bikers came by. They were having much more fun then I. After that the pack started killing me. The new boots were good though. New pack and boots need to be comfortable on the Motorcycle also. Admittedly I reached bitch mode early on. Seemed like we going up for the sake of suffering. The downs were not as fun either... My friend lent me her poles. It was better after that. I am old and out of shape. Then I ran out of water. Rookie am I...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Packs: I tried the lightweight ones. They suck balls at anything over 30 pounds and dug into my hips. I opted for a expedition sized pack with a great hip belt and suspension. With a 30-40 pound load I don't even notice it on my back. It's nice to not have sore shoulders and hips at the end of a long day.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Packs: I tried the lightweight ones. They suck balls at anything over 30 pounds and dug into my hips. I opted for a expedition sized pack with a great hip belt and suspension. With a 30-40 pound load I don't even notice it on my back. It's nice to not have sore shoulders and hips at the end of a long day.
I tried my friend's Hyperlite, fully loaded, and it was not nearly as comfortable as my ULA Circuit which does a great job of putting the bulk of the weight on my hips.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm looking forward to the part where AM and JD are spooning as a bear stalks their tent.

4 lbs and deadly accurate. The bolts will pass through most living things. I have found a M-80 will dispatch even the peskiest of creatures. With practice I think I could even Fish with one.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have tried trail food. I will not be able to eat it. I eat mostly fresh food. It may not be working out for me. I need to work out a lightweight fishing method. Currently my rig is to heavy to pack. It may not be practical to have a rod sticking out of your pack. I was only kidding about the crossbow. The 911 weighs half that even with the case... I have been enlightened on poles and weight. New pack has a rain sleeve. The hip bruises are healing up nicely...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That was a random search result, not a recommendation. I suggest you blame MMike if it's terrible.