Quantcast

Are Avy forks that good?

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I have an '01 Monster that rides pretty darn nice. But I have heard a lot of people say that they're Avy's ride nicer than any fork they have ever ridden.

Has anyone gone from a Monster to an Avy?

If so, what's the big difference?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Brian HCM#1 said:
No, the pors are given them for free and they'll ride what there sponsors given them. Marz, RS and Man are bigger companies they can afford to give away products.
you sure? thought some pros even paid for some stuff that they thought ran best, especially if theres a part thats completly 'out of the ballpark' .......

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
G damn it...I'll say it since no one else seems to have the presence of mind to carry on one of the all time great e-rumor traditions...

"I heard Avys are flexy"...

There, I said it...Carry on...

(btw, what about the $2500 Foes fork? For that kinda jack, that thing better come with a few WC trophies)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Geoff G. said:
why dosn't the mountain-8 have a regular steerer?
its just a head lock. works better. just like some mx bikes.

i went from a 2002 monster to a DHF-8. best decision i've ever made. then 3months later it was stolen....
but not i JUST HAVE to run the rear shock on any DH bike i get
Steve

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
you will not get an unbiased response here I think. Certain subject you just wont... ie. Avalanche, Evil/E13, Mavic....just depends. I have ridden an avy fork and I couldn't notice any difference from my custom tuned Shiver...but that's just me....some people will look for a way to justify such an expensive purchase but that's JMO....D

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
avy is an awesome fork, one reason is because it is 100% custom tuned to you just like a 888 werks.

Its inverted

it feels like buttah

I have ridden a boxxer, shiver, dorado, 888r and an avy. The avy by far rips them all up

As far as pros go that comment was totally wrong. Cedric = manitou, peat = rS, all the best canucks = marz

Avy doesnt offer "total" race support like the mainstream fork manuf. So with that being said most racers are going to take the "cheaper" and easier way out. A "sponsored" rider can get almost any fork for a signifcant discount. Avy doesnt offer much of a discount if any.

Also with avy you can take them to ANY moto x shop and get it tuned up

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
so can anyone here really describe the BIG difference performance wise between the avy and the other big 3 fork companies???.....D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
brian, i know yr a big av supporter and all, but what DH stuff have you actually had a chance to ride since you've had the fork?
888, Shiver and Durado, I rode Bushwacker's Giant with a Durado, it felt good, but the Avalanche is just amazing. He even made the comment on how awesome it felt, especially since its not even fully broken in. I had a long phone conversation with Darren from PUSH about a month ago when I had the fork ordered, and from him he said in his opinion the Avalanche was the best fork out on the market.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BMXman said:
so can anyone here really describe the BIG difference performance wise between the avy and the other big 3 fork companies???.....D
I think damping charactoristics is the biggest, Craig's damping system is more advanced than the other manufactures. Fox with be a close second with their new 40 as its a similar system.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
I bet the new brembos at $500usd an end will be the ultimate brake for those who buy them... They will be much better then cheaper hayes/shimano/magura/hope.

:devil:

The only person Ive ever met that owned an avalanche fork traded it for a shiver. It was some guy who did reviews for pinkbike. He was saying that he could nevel keep the fork from twisting. Maybe he just had a dud though, I would love to try an avalance fork.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
zedro said:
what i found funny is he claims the Avy is in a whole other league than a PERFECTLY TUNED 888RC....i wonder what part of perfectly tuned he doesnt understand :rolleyes:
Can a 888 be perfectly tuned for ALL weight catagories? Probably not, most forks are designed around an avarage weight and then the rider must try to make it work for them using different oil/spring combinations. The Avalanche is valved and tuned just for you.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Shmoe said:
The only person Ive ever met that owned an avalanche fork traded it for a shiver. It was some guy who did reviews for pinkbike. He was saying that he could nevel keep the fork from twisting. Maybe he just had a dud though, I would love to try an avalance fork.
Craig made a beefier version to correct that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
technology wise it makes a boxxer look like a chevy nova, while the avalanche is more like a new Mclaren or Ferarri.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
Can a 888 be perfectly tuned for ALL weight catagories? Probably not, most forks are designed around an avarage weight and then the rider must try to make it work for them using different oil/spring combinations. The Avalanche is valved and tuned just for you.
this may surprise you, but there are two ways to tune suspension (in general). The first is to match the spring rate with rider weight; this keeps the natural frequency the same which means you can maintain a tighter damping range (ie. the compression adjustments) for more weights (given the terrain setup). The other is to keep the spring rate the same which alters the natural frequency (vs. weight) of the system, meaning you have to severely alter the damping characteristics.

The so-called 'custom tuning' is no more custom than altering ones springs, since he's just taking settings off a chart anyways. To me custom means someones there after a run ready to make fine tweeks.

And simply saying "probably not" isnt exactly evidence now is it? :nope:

the only reason i'm on you about this is the laughable 'ballpark' statement...like as if we were talking about a RS DHO.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Brian HCM#1 said:
888 Compression cartrige

Avalanche

the user servicable Marz MX carts looks very similar....

and i would of been happier if you just said "i think Avys have an edge because of blah blah..."....people dont come here for Pinkbikie'ish responses :p

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm not the one who can give you all the techie terms and product break downs, I go by what I've been told by various suspension experts. Maybe someone with more tech knolledge will take over.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
zedro said:
exactly. Thats why all the pros are running them.
The pros ride what they get paid to ride. Paid to ride... do you understand that concept? Some lucky people who are really good at riding (not at making snide remarks on internet forums) are given parts and/or paid. Avalanche is not a giant company that can pay to have a bunch of riders race their stuff.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
zedro said:
the user servicable Marz MX carts looks very similar....
MX carts? The only true mx carts Marz uses are in the Monster T. I guess that's cool if you're idea of a a good fork is 13.5lb upright fork.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I have an avalanche fork now because it's the best I have yet to ride. I had a shiver for 1.5 years. It worked ok, but it sucked for big hits. It would either bottom harshly causing lots of pain, or never bottom, also causing lots of pain in the hands. I tried every tuning configuration and had many people work on it. Soft, firm, whatever... it never felt like my avy does. The avy is set up very soft, and it absorbs small bumps very well. Yet, it does not cause an pain in my hands when landing six feet to flat concrete. As for large drops to transition, it feels perfect. I'll admit with a perfect landing the shiver didnt feel bad, but the avalanche still feels good if you dont plant the wheels perfectly.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Shmoe said:
I couldn't keep my shiver from twisting. If my avy twists so much that it becomes a problem, i'll consider a fox or 888. I haven't been impressed with any of the 888's i've ridden.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
nickaziz said:
The pros ride what they get paid to ride. Paid to ride... do you understand that concept? Some lucky people who are really good at riding (not at making snide remarks on internet forums) are given parts and/or paid. Avalanche is not a giant company that can pay to have a bunch of riders race their stuff.
i wonder if you understand that not alot of people actually get paid by fork manufacturers. Besides, my statement was just trying to bring things back down to earth.

MX carts? The only true mx carts Marz uses are in the Monster T. I guess that's cool if you're idea of a a good fork is 13.5lb upright fork.
yeah, but the 888 is based on the same tech. Marz doesnt like people screwing around with their bike forks so they make the carts non-servicable. The '03 MonsterT is much longer (i checked since i wanted to install them into my Shiver), so i'm guessing thats why they splurged into the MX parts bin.

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Well the MX parts are probably much heavier also. But with the monster T that obviously was not their primary concern.

Have you ever ridden an avy? If so was there anything you didn't like? I'll admit they feel a bit "rough" in a parking lot test, but I think it feels great when you actually are riding it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
nickaziz said:

I think you're exaggerating the weight a bit don't you...and last time I checked the Avalanche forks weren't that light unless you got the Ti version which were "race only" and had a weight limit accoriding to Craig....D