Quantcast

Are Avy forks that good?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Hrm, if you had a freeride fork with DH in its name, it'd have to be a scuba rootbeer colour, wouldn't it? Is scuba rootbeer even possible, I thought the pressure underwater would compress the CO2 bubbles making the rootbeer undrinkable for all but the toughest of men :help:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
thaflyinfatman said:
haha I love this thread. All of the well-known/commonly used DH forks can be set up to work damn well. Yes Jm_, even Boxxers.
No, and this is the reason that forks like the avalanche exist. A ported damper will simply never be able to perform on par with a good shimmed setup. Show me examples in other areas where "ported damper" technology is the forefront of suspension performance.

Again, it's like comparing a 2005 mustang with a solid rear end to some other high performance car with independant rear suspension (the solid rear end on the new mustang is the big compramise that keeps the price down). There's a lot of tricks they can use to try and make it perform well, but after a while you run out of "tricks" and realize that independent is simply better.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
RhinofromWA said:
Haha :D True.

Last weekend I heard a rider say he was looking for a better fork...one that he could just plow through things with.

Thats the reason I went with the dual damper model, the single damper is more for a lighter weight person, and is not designed for that. Craig will usally tell the person straight up if his fork will work for how they intend to use it.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Rik said:
Hrm, if you had a freeride fork with DH in its name, it'd have to be a scuba rootbeer colour, wouldn't it? Is scuba rootbeer even possible, I thought the pressure underwater would compress the CO2 bubbles making the rootbeer undrinkable for all but the toughest of men :help:
I heard you have to flex your brain hella in order to not get the bends while drinking scuba rootbeer? Is that true????

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Jm_ said:
No, and this is the reason that forks like the avalanche exist. A ported damper will simply never be able to perform on par with a good shimmed setup. Show me examples in other areas where "ported damper" technology is the forefront of suspension performance.

Again, it's like comparing a 2005 mustang with a solid rear end to some other high performance car with independant rear suspension (the solid rear end on the new mustang is the big compramise that keeps the price down). There's a lot of tricks they can use to try and make it perform well, but after a while you run out of "tricks" and realize that independent is simply better.
I never claimed ported damping was "better", I said it could be set up to work well. Which it can (in the Boxxer's case anyway as it has the sprung valves - SSV not so well). Besides that, there is more to a fork than the compression damper - the spring rate, progression, and chassis too. I don't doubt that Avalanches are incredibly nice forks, or that they feel smoother or whatever than Boxxers, but you can set pretty much everything up *well* if you're mechanically capable of doing so (and no, I don't mean modding it).

And believe it or not, there are a lot of happy Boxxer owners out there - hmm, maybe that says something about them.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
all I know is my Avalanche seems to make up for my inability to ride more than any other fork i've owned. I've attempted to huck a 9 foot to basically flat landing, messed up my timing and landed squarely nose-first. The fork sucked it up without bottoming and asked "is that ALL you got?". no metal-to-metal clank, no nuthin.
That was with the MTN-8. It just feels indestructible.
so i went with the DHF-8 for DH use. I don't weigh 150 pounds so it feels nice to have a solid, adjustable fork i can trust. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the confidence it gives me. your opinions may differ, but i love my fork.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
im stoked to finally have an avy fork. im coming from a monster T. it is as plush as the monster but much faster cause it jumps alot better. i am getting my confidence back to hit high speed jumps with this fork.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Jimmy_Pop said:
it's a dual.

i have not had a change to beat on it yet but the parking lots and commuting-to-work tests are lookin good, really good!
Sweet!!! I'm hoping to ride tomorrow, but its been pissing out all last night :angry:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
go ride anyway.
its 20 degrees here and ****ty as hell. but we still go on our thursday night urban ride.
:p

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Jimmy_Pop said:
im stoked to finally have an avy fork. im coming from a monster T. it is as plush as the monster but much faster cause it jumps alot better. i am getting my confidence back to hit high speed jumps with this fork.

A super nice fork !!! Top bling-bling :love:

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
JP i can't get Photobucket images to see your black crowns, although i'm jealous at the thought.
i got some black guards on mine :thumb:

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Rik said:
But how can it be a FR fork when there's DH in the name? Unless it means "dangerous hucking FREERIDE" :think:
It's simple. You can FR with it if the trail is downhill; if the trail is uphill you just can't do anything but walk (otherwise you might get hurt).

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Bullitboyz said:
JP i can't get Photobucket images to see your black crowns, although i'm jealous at the thought.
i got some black guards on mine :thumb:
your bike is lookin GREAT. those bikes look soo sweet. all your bikes are pretty sick though so i wouldn't expect anything else.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Bullitboyz said:
all I know is my Avalanche seems to make up for my inability to ride more than any other fork i've owned. I've attempted to huck a 9 foot to basically flat landing, messed up my timing and landed squarely nose-first. The fork sucked it up without bottoming and asked "is that ALL you got?". no metal-to-metal clank, no nuthin.
That was with the MTN-8. It just feels indestructible.
so i went with the DHF-8 for DH use. I don't weigh 150 pounds so it feels nice to have a solid, adjustable fork i can trust. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the confidence it gives me. your opinions may differ, but i love my fork.
I love your avatar. That mugshot is one of my favorites along with Glen Campbell, Saddam, and that Khalid Mohammed guy.

PS - Oh yeah, I forgot Nick Nolte.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Tarpon said:
It's simple. You can FR with it if the trail is downhill; if the trail is uphill you just can't do anything but walk (otherwise you might get hurt).
naw it pedals fine.... just as much as my 888s (i can use the "s" cause i do have 2)
good workout

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
zedro said:
guess that makes you suck

(ooo, i love hate-fests)

Well, - it was you who asked us to derail the thread...maybe you should derail youself instead :p .....no reason to be negative just because there is a couple of fellows who like Avy... :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
zedro said:
oh for ****'s sake....can someone please derail this thread again???

Please help me I really need some advice. I want to buy some cookies and I can't decide between chocolate chip and chocolate CHOCOLATE chip cookies. :( :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
Please help me I really need some advice. I want to buy some cookies and I can't decide between chocolate chip and chocolate CHOCOLATE chip cookies. :( :(
Chocolate chocolate chip cookies bend before they break.

Always consume with rootbeer.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
i hear the double amount of chocolate in the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies causes consumption spiking on the way down because unless you have modded the esophagus the extreme amount of chocolate trying to go down at the same time packs up and makes your throat feel locked

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Curb Hucker said:
i hear the double amount of chocolate in the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies causes consumption spiking on the way down because unless you have modded the esophagus the extreme amount of chocolate trying to go down at the same time packs up and makes your throat feel locked
Noob do a search, you just have to make the hole bigger.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
OGRipper said:
Uhhnnhhh..must resist....the pull is too strong...ahhh...can't help it.....!!!!

Sounds flexy.
you rock. thats funny!

now every at work is staring at me....