Quantcast

Audio Nerds

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The older Fortes were known for being harsh at the high end. You probably have some high frequency hearing loss and your wife does not.
Thats what my local audio shop refers to as "american sound".
High at both ends. Usually seen in Klipsch and JBL speakers.

European speakers, like Dali and Focal (at similar price points) tend to be more neutral, while loosing some "differentiation" at the higher frequencies.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I did the environmentally responsibility act of divesting myself from bitcoin then did a fiscally irresponsible thing with the proceeds.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
are you going to run a subwoofer with them?
I never got enough frequency response under, say, 60HZ with floor speakers.
(edit) however, I never had speakers as nice as those.
or an amp really strong enough to drive them...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
are you going to run a subwoofer with them?
I never got enough frequency response under, say, 60HZ with floor speakers.
I already have a large subwoofer but probably do not need it. These perform well into the mid 30s, very little music dips below that. The enclosures have a 15" passive radiator that gives the box a resonant frequency of 40Hz. You can accomplish the same thing with porting, but ports require higher velocities from the air which causes turbulence/distortion. The large surface area of the passive radiator solves the trubulence problem.

I set up the sub with a low gain and the crossover set at a little below 40Hz. It does add a bit more of a physical thump when appropriate but doesn't add much to the actual sound.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...not that it gets much usage post concussions...

I have found that I have enough bass with my standmounts for any music that I listen to.
If I was into the whole home theatre thing then I can see needing more.
Each cabinet has 2, 6.5" drivers isobarically loaded. (Totem Mani-2 Sig. on Totem T4L stands.)

Have heard the Forte (III's?) can benefit from a bit of floor isolation in some cases.
Maybe worth throwing them up on some spikes, ball-nuts, rubber/cork or whatever you have for a bit of test and tune.

edit - TBI's are a terrible thing, I meant stand-mount but ended up writing floorstander.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
...not that it gets much usage post concussions...

I have found that I have enough bass with my floorstanders for any music that I listen to.
If I was into the whole home theatre thing then I can see needing more.
Each cabinet has 2, 6.5" drivers isobarically loaded. (Totem Mani-2 Sig. on Totem T4L stands.)

Have heard the Forte (III's?) can benefit from a bit of floor isolation in some cases.
Maybe worth throwing them up on some spikes, ball-nuts, rubber/cork or whatever you have for a bit of test and tune.
I have found that generally IDGAF about much in the sub range. I get the rumble power flex, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a piece of music that felt lacking because of the lack of subs, or would be noticeably improved be the extra deep lows.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Holy crap, they are not cheap speakers but they do look the goods!
But they are lifetime speakers and his hearing will most likely go before the speakers.

I want to squeeze more crips sound out of my setup but I am not sure what to do but I think find a better solution than the Alexa dot must be the first action.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
I have two decent DIY audio projects under my belt. The process of designing, building, and optimizing via measurement is something that I get a great deal of satisfaction out of. The fact that at the "end" of the project end up with a pretty decent system to listen to music on is icing on the cake.

I started out with a set of tower speakers using drivers/crossovers found on Madisound.com (Zaph Audio ZRT 2-way Kit):
ZRT 2-Way, 1.jpg
ZRT 2-Way, 2.jpg
ZRT 2-Way, 3.jpg

I learned (i.e. adapted to some poor decision making in the design phase) a great bit during this project, as chronicled in my build log below. I am excited to take on a more impressive build in the near future and even have an old JL Audio 13W7 laying around that I was going to repurpose into home audio subwoofer.

Build Log: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/262660-custom-zaph-audio-zrt-2-build.html

The next DIY project was upgrading the rather anemic stock system in my 2017 Compass. This project ended up being a major investment (I have hundreds of hours into this thing lol) in time but the results are worth the effort. Nearly everything is custom for the build and I did 100% of the fabrication (I even made my own RCA cables and SPDIF to Coax signal cables).

Again, here I learned quit a bit as achieving audio nirvana in a vehicle is no trivial task. This was my first "Active" system period and jumping right in with a 3-way front stage using DSP instead of passive crossovers was a pretty big jump from my previous audio endeavors. I would love to pay a professional to tune the system to see what it is capable of, but even with my naivety I have been able to produce some "tunes" that are very impressive in terms of staging/imaging and frequency response. This setup rocks!

Driver A-Pillar, Grill Off.jpg
JL C7 3-Way.jpg
Amp Rack.JPG
Cargo Area-5.JPG

Build Log: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/2017-compass-build-jl-c7-3-way-fix-86-twk-88-hd-amps.415709/

There are so many area's in audio to geek out on and to have fun with experimentation; for me it is a pretty great avenue to blow off some creative energy while making something that can be enjoyed for years to come!

Attachments

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Other than the record player all my source material is digitally encoded from the receiver. Let me see what it would take to connect something like that in a loop. I am not sure what it would do for me but I do like fiddling. I may also see if I can get the tube amp to get driven from a receiver output. I enjoy having a fire/shock hazard sitting around the house.View attachment 153651
this seems familliar...

you posted this before when you built it...correct?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I did the environmentally responsibility act of divesting myself from bitcoin then did a fiscally irresponsible thing with the proceeds.

Excellent choice!!!!! You can mess around with the bass response by moving it closer/further from the wall. I run an original Sunfire True sub with mine. Then again, my original Forte's only have a 12" passive radiator not a 15" like on the ll's & lll's.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The older Fortes were known for being harsh at the high end. You probably have some high frequency hearing loss and your wife does not.

I have found that music engineered to be on vinyl can sound better on vinyl. New music engineered for digital usually sounds shitty. See the "Loudness War"
My wife cares less how they sound, its how they stick out as a sore thumb in our family room. Klipsch tend to have a slightly harsher sound, due to the horn drivers. They are very efficient speakers to begin with. I'm using a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp which is 100w per channel, which gives me more than enough of headroom.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had to mess around with positioning the speakers in the room to dial in the sound. The one drawback being they are kind of in he way in their ideal position. You can really change the character of how these sound by the position/toe in. It is probably no mistake that where I like them they require pretty much no filtering whatesoever. Perfectly flat graphic equalizer short of adding a little more bass to the right speaker, which sits on an open side of the room vs the left which is near a corner.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My new tweeters turned up last week, they come with a warning and have to be returned to an audio store for recycling.
Seems Beryllium is a bit nasty if you start playing with it, I'm fairly certain they made F1 conrods out of the stuff for a while, assumed they were banned because of the cost, maybe it was because the stuff is nasty?

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey sorry to corrupt your speaker thread but I was wondering what you guys are using for your turntables? Been saving up to replace the basic Sony one I have and trying to decide what to get.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey sorry to corrupt your speaker thread but I was wondering what you guys are using for your turntables? Been saving up to replace the basic Sony one I have and trying to decide what to get.
I have a 1970s Yamaha YP-800.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hrmmm I might have some trouble finding one of those "New in the box". :) (got any pics?)

There are several used stereo stores nearby that make it easy to find good vintage stuff.

Not my pictures

2f2b1b079ad3288f340d3d0bed8d66d6.jpg
7076666f4ae22b571fa0696587862a2b.jpg

Edit:. I got mine for like $120, looks like they are currently going for a hell of a lot more.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Seriously, I f@cking hate you guys. You are all way too f@cking smart to be such reprobates. Imagine if you had used your powers for good and sh!t???

That being said...someone please provide me a brief tutorial on how to get the coolest sound possible..loud and without having to part with a kidney.

I listen to old punk, classic rock and a lot of celtic folk/punk/acoustic shit. And yeah, I love bagpipes and banjoes. F@ck off, okay?

I have had Bose 301s, 701s and some cool Advent Infinities...beautiful speakers, rosewood cabinets, great sound but I was too young and dumb to understand how things work. Not like I am any smarter now, but I want cool sound and to sound smart. Right now I have nothing. so I can start from there. Although I do like my Bose shits on the nerd box.

BTW, I still hate you f@ckers. Most of you. Smart mother f@ckers...sigh...

Last edited: