Quantcast

best voices in music

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Saw this thread on another forum and thought it was pretty cool. I know there are some of you :monkey:s are real music buffs, so I thought it was worth posting here.

Who are some of the best (notice I did not say "favorite") voices in music right now? For those of us who aren't music buffs, please post the band/group the person is with so we know who you are talking about.

I'm not a music buff, so take this with a grain of salt... but here are my top 3:
- Harry Connick Jr.
- Sara McLaughlin
- Lindsey Buckingham (guitarist and occasional singer from Fleetwood Mac)
- the dude from System of a Down

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Joe Pernice (pernice brothers)
Nick Cave (nick cave and the bad seeds)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i vote stevie wonder
otis redding
tina turner

edit, right now? i guess otis redding is out.

stevie wonder and tina turner are still rockin it though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
These aren't "now" but they are the best IMO

All time best voice: Ronnie James Dio

Honorable mention: Robert Plant, Benjamin Orr, Tommy Shaw, Peter Murphy, I'll probably think of a few more later.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK.. most of those names I don't know - Eddie Vedder, I recognize, but can't place him. Stevie Wonder and Tina Turner I know, Robert Plant and Alison karuss I know... none of the rest though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good thread. it's interesting to note how the particular band's style is identifiable w/ the singer.

some faves of mine, not necessarily technically gifted:

robert pollard (guided by voices)
steve malkmus (pavement)
ray charles
sam & dave (stax/volt artists)
steve kilbey (the church)
jeff tweedy (wilco)
emma pollard (delgados; no relation to bob)
chan marshall (cat power)
ian mccullouch (echo and the bunnymen)
mark eitzel (american music club)
buck dharma (aka don roeser, 2nd vocalist for BOC)
john cale
leonard cohen
joey burns (calexico)
mark e smith (the fall)
keith morris (black flag, circle jerks)
stevie nicks (before cocaine ruined her)
Gil Scott-Heron
jonathan richman (modern lovers)
greg sage (wipers)
iggy pop
grace slick (jefferson airplane)
jason molina (songs:ohia; electric magnolia company)
warren zevon
john doe & exene (X); esp when off-key harmonizing.
nick drake
bill callahan (smog)
peter searcy (squirrel bait; could be the best punk singer of all time, over glenn danzig and greg graffin)
ebbot lundgren (soundtrack of our lives)
roger daltrey
phil lynott (thin lizzy)
van morrison

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think Christina Aguilara has an outstanding voice that gets trumped by ****ty music.

i don't really notice vocal quality unless it's exceptionally good or bad (to me).

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Lemmy (Motorhead)
Dicky Barrett (Mighty Mighty Bosstones)

There are probably more but that is all I could think of this early.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I don't know names but I have been listening to a heap of Irish Traditional music and dang some of them folks can sing.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, addressing Narlus' list

robert pollard (guided by voices) Never heard 'em
steve malkmus (pavement) Never heard 'em
ray charles ok, Honorable mention mayebe.
sam & dave (stax/volt artists) Never heard 'em
steve kilbey (the church) eh....Thats a stretch
jeff tweedy (wilco) Never heard 'em
emma pollard (delgados; no relation to bob) Never heard 'em
chan marshall (cat power) Never heard 'em
ian mccullouch (echo and the bunnymen) Damn, thats digging way back! good call! :thumb:
mark eitzel (american music club) Never heard 'em
buck dharma (aka don roeser, 2nd vocalist for BOC) yeah, I can see it.
john cale Never heard 'em
leonard cohen ever heard 'em
joey burns (calexico) Never heard 'em
mark e smith (the fall) i could take him or leave him
keith morris (black flag, circle jerks) I can't be impartial here, but hell yeah
stevie nicks (before cocaine ruined her) I'm going against the norm here, but I never ever liked her voice.. She can go her own way...:p
Gil Scott-Heron Never heard 'em
jonathan richman (modern lovers) Never heard 'em
greg sage (wipers) Never heard 'em
iggy pop :think: I can go with this one....
grace slick (jefferson airplane) To monotone for me
jason molina (songs:ohia; electric magnolia company) Never heard 'em
warren zevon :thumb: good call
john doe & exene (X); esp when off-key harmonizing. Never heard 'em
nick drake Never heard 'em
bill callahan (smog) Never heard 'em
peter searcy (squirrel bait; could be the best punk singer of all time, over glenn danzig and greg graffin) Danzig' an a$$
ebbot lundgren (soundtrack of our lives) Never heard 'em
roger daltrey Good call.
phil lynott (thin lizzy) Good call
van morrison Good call

How about

Henry Rollins
Tim "Ripper" Owens
Rob Halford
The dude from Nevermore is off the chain!
The singer from "Peter and the Test Tube Babies"

And dude, how could you forget Darby Crash? And you call yourself punk?!?!? :p :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
grant hart (husker du)
nicke andersson (the hellacopters)
lee ranaldo (sonic youth)
the brothers reid (jesus and mary chain)
tim burgess (the charlatans uk)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
sirknight6 said:
Damn dude, and I all this time I thought you were all cool and stuff......:eviltongu

Nice save with Geoff Tate though! :thumb:
I still love GnR. Gun's n Roses is going to make a comeback!!!!!!!!

As soon as Axl's hair transplants actually take:thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sirknight6 said:
OK, addressing Narlus' list

How about

Henry Rollins not bad, but i do prefer the earlier BF stuff
Tim "Ripper" Owens don't know him
Rob Halford good call for the genre; not a big fan though
The dude from Nevermore is off the chain! don't know him
The singer from "Peter and the Test Tube Babies" old punk/new wave? name's familiar but can't say i know the music

And dude, how could you forget Darby Crash? And you call yourself punk?!?!? :p :D
darby crash had the unfortunate timing to commit suicide the same day john lennon was killed. as usual, no one gave a damn.

did "soul man" among other classics. played mainly w/ steve cropper and the other MG's from Booker T and MGs (who were also the band backing jake and elwood for the blues brothers). they also were in the unheralded _Tapeheads_ movie (tim robbins, john cusack) as the Swanky Moes

john cale

founding member of the Velvet Underground, and produced many classic records including the Stooges first lp and Patti Smith's _Horses_ and the Modern Lovers debut. truly a bedrock of rock music. if you've got kids, you might remember his version of "Hallelujah" which was on the Shrek soundtrack and leads nicely to...

leonard cohen

who wrote "hallelujah". a singer/songwriter, leonard's got a dark, consistent vision, a hell of a voice, and a pretty damn strong songbook. you might also recall "famous blue raincoat" covered by jennifer warnes among others.

one of the all-time best debuts, too bad it was recorded in '72 and not released until '76. just a great rock record; i'm sure you are familiar w/ "roadrunner". band members include a pre-talking heads Jerry Harrison and pre-cars David Robinson. jojo got a boost in publicity via the movie "Something About Mary", where he appeared and sang the title cut.

nick drake

cornerstone of the british folk movement, never really appreciated during his time on earth. which ended prematurely by his own hand, sadly enough. was introduced to this generation via VW's use of "pink moon" for an ad campaign.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Chris Cornell (Audioslave, Soundgarden)
Adam Duritz (Counting Crows)
Bruce Springsteen
Susan Tadeski (no clue if I spelled that name correctly, but she's a blues singer)
Bono
Michael Stipe
Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service)
Dar Williams
Natalie Merchant (mainly with10,000 Maniacs)
David Gray
Rhett Miller (Old 97's)
Bonnie Rait
Damien Rice

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
narlus said:
leonard cohen

who wrote "hallelujah". a singer/songwriter, leonard's got a dark, consistent vision, a hell of a voice, and a pretty damn strong songbook. you might also recall "famous blue raincoat" covered by jennifer warnes among others.
I forgot about him. And Jeff Buckley should also be added for his cover of "Hallelujah."

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
darby crash had the unfortunate timing to commit suicide the same day john lennon was killed. as usual, no one gave a damn.
There seems to be a number of music biopic flicks of recent. I've heard one on the Germs is set for release in the near future: "What We Do Is Secret".

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
narlus said:

did "soul man" among other classics. played mainly w/ steve cropper and the other MG's from Booker T and MGs (who were also the band backing jake and elwood for the blues brothers). they also were in the unheralded _Tapeheads_ movie (tim robbins, john cusack) as the Swanky Moes

john cale

founding member of the Velvet Underground, and produced many classic records including the Stooges first lp and Patti Smith's _Horses_ and the Modern Lovers debut. truly a bedrock of rock music. if you've got kids, you might remember his version of "Hallelujah" which was on the Shrek soundtrack and leads nicely to...

leonard cohen

one of the all-time best debuts, too bad it was recorded in '72 and not released until '76. just a great rock record; i'm sure you are familiar w/ "roadrunner". band members include a pre-talking heads Jerry Harrison and pre-cars David Robinson. jojo got a boost in publicity via the movie "Something About Mary", where he appeared and sang the title cut.

nick drake

cornerstone of the british folk movement, never really appreciated during his time on earth. which ended prematurely by his own hand, sadly enough. was introduced to this generation via VW's use of "pink moon" for an ad campaign.

Peter and the Test Tube Babies were among the fiorst wave of punk of the late 70's ealrly 80's.

Some of the best songs that come to mind is "Moped Lads" and "Elvis is Dead"

"Elvis had a heart attack......
Because he was so bleedin' fat....
He weighed nearly an 'af a ton.....
He looked more like a pregnate mum!!!

Chorus...All to gether now...

Elvis is de---ad, Elvis is de---ad, Elvis is de---ad, Elvis is de---ad...
Thank God, what a fat f*cking sod 'e was"

Tim Owens replaced Halford for a few years after he had left. What I enjoy abou the both od them is that they actually have not only vocal ability and talent, but range as well....

I personally liked Owens better in Priest

Tim Owens is now the head crooner for Iced Earth.

Any thought on Ronnie James Dio?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
He's very short.
nice. a friend of mine in a band once got up on stage, walked to the mic which barely reached his chest, looked around and said "who do you think i am, dio"? it was pretty funny.

"man on the silver mountain" is definitely a classic. can't say i own any Dio or Rainbow, though.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I like voices with unique timbre. So many people sing with the same honey sweet tone it gets boring (almost all female contemporary pop vocalists for example)

Therefore I nominate:
Tom Waites
Bob Dylan
Louis Armstrong, (+ Ella Fitzgerald)

I also really like Eric Bachman (Archer's of Loaf, etc.)

2 voices I can't bloody stand are those girls in Sleater Kinney - sounds like whale calls. EiEEEEEEYAAA!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jacksonpt said:
OK.. most of those names I don't know
Sorry, I should have posted bands.

Ronnie James Dio, Robert Plant - if you don't know, my telling you won't help :p
Tommy Shaw - sang (and wrote) all the Styx songs that were any good, also was in Night Ranger.
Benjamin Orr - Ric Ocasek got most of the credit, but Benjamin Orr sang most of the better Cars songs.
Peter Murphy - New Wave dude, fronted a band called Bauhaus and did some pretty cool solo stuff. Download "I'll Fall With Your Knife".