Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMG_20190807_124158.jpg

Check it out. It's tight, but I had the wife test it and said it's better than a bucket. Blue are the walls, the 2x2 is the shower. Trying the squeeze the sink on the wall in between.

The first tank gets here Saturday. If it works, I will get another for the grey tank.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I agree, lots of big campers are a mess at trailheads. Its funny. I am sitting in Sunriver in a vacation rental currently. Its nice to rent and be all clean with clean clothes, and a bed with clean sheets.

But hit-n-run trailhead hopping across the West is the SHIT. I haven't found a more satisfying method for traveling and riding mtb.

My "camper" is an 89 f150.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I agree, lots of big campers are a mess at trailheads. Its funny. I am sitting in Sunriver in a vacation rental currently. Its nice to rent and be all clean with clean clothes, and a bed with clean sheets.

But hit-n-run trailhead hopping across the West is the SHIT. I haven't found a more satisfying method for traveling and riding mtb.

My "camper" is an 89 f150.
Something simple like sleeping in the back of your truck or pitching a quick tent seems pretty reasonable to do the hit-n-run stuff. But to start talking giant vehicles that cost tens of thousands (hundreds sometimes?) of $$ to purchase, gobs of money to operate/maintain, the inability to actually *get* a lot of places, and it just seems ridiculous.

But, variety is the spice of life, they say. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are lots of ways to do it, all with pros and cons depending on many factors, but our van has been a game-changer for us. Lots of weekend trips with late night arrivals, easy set up and tear down, etc. Our favorite longer trips usually involve many nights in the van coupled with splurging on hotel/vacation rentals at different points. Kinda the best of both worlds really - you don't have to pick just one. But sure, getting a van with a decent set-up is a commitment.

Camping at the trailhead is great but depends on what kind of road will get you there, whether you're allowed to camp there, any facilities, etc. As for access, fire roads are fine but for serious 4X4 access, from what I've seen you're better off with a real truck and a shell or Tepui-type set-up.

20160424_150507_resized_2.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Something simple like sleeping in the back of your truck or pitching a quick tent seems pretty reasonable to do the hit-n-run stuff. But to start talking giant vehicles that cost tens of thousands (hundreds sometimes?) of $$ to purchase, gobs of money to operate/maintain, the inability to actually *get* a lot of places, and it just seems ridiculous.

i could build out a sprinter and it just be a shower...a shitter....and a leather recliner bolted to the floor and i could live comfortably....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are lots of ways to do it, all with pros and cons depending on many factors, but our van has been a game-changer for us. Lots of weekend trips with late night arrivals, easy set up and tear down, etc. Our favorite longer trips usually involve many nights in the van coupled with splurging on hotel/vacation rentals at different points. Kinda the best of both worlds really - you don't have to pick just one. But sure, getting a van with a decent set-up is a commitment.

Camping at the trailhead is great but depends on what kind of road will get you there, whether you're allowed to camp there, any facilities, etc. As for access, fire roads are fine but for serious 4X4 access, from what I've seen you're better off with a real truck and a shell or Tepui-type set-up.

View attachment 136161

20160424_150507_resized_2.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dude

Install the tank FIRST next time. Ew
Ok, the tank should be in before we leave. I need to make 4 J brackets to mount it and drill the hole in the top.

I called Curtis Trailers and they had all the pipes, fittings and whatnot. I bought some 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar to make the brackets.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMG_20190811_155730.jpg

The lid rattles over bumps. Not sure if the walls will be enough, or if I am stuffing a towel in it every trip. :rofl:

Dump side works with no apparent leaks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

The further you are going and the slower you want to get there (more stops you want to make), the more a camper type vehicle makes sense. At some point, like you say, the utility of it breaks down and it's more of a burden than a tool to get out and explore, then you're just trying to park a hotel room all the time.

Just saw a used printer at the trailhead FS, windows, *only* 67K!