Quantcast

Campers

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would not want a camper without one. You can go with compostable and or cassette toilets that do away with leaky black tanks and pipes
I hope mine won't leak. I don't like the compost or cassette ones because everything I have read says no mater how much ass spray you use, it still smells of ass.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
View attachment 135782

Here is the quote my coworker got for their Sprinter build. They went with slightly larger batteries, so the final build was closer to $30k.

So without the cost of van and no toilet, about $14k more than mine built. I feel pretty good about that. :D

<Edit> 200W solar and 200ah lithium batteries. So half my solar, same usable storage, only lithium.
I'd hide her name.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Just dumped the black and grey water tanks. Next up is to pull all my crap out of the truck and then remove the camper. Truck gets a new high pressure fuel pump installed next week. I knew that I did not trust the local Ford dealer on cost , dealer 50 miles away quoted me $2700 parts and labor. Local guys wanted $4700. Independent shops will not touch the job as they don't have the ability to sync the pump with the injectors.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I also managed to pass 2 trucks pulling trailers going through the mountains. I might top out at 60 MPH, but she's a pretty good climber. It was just further justification this was the correct route. 388 road trip miles so far. 15.8 MPG first 188 mile trip. Will know when I top it off how this was.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So a friend posted about iOverlander and it's a really bad ass app. The wife scouted some spots on the coast, so we will wing it this weekend and find someplace to crash. Should be a cool outing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
these things....clean slate....

build a box

or

remove bed....stitch together the back halves of some wrecked vans and put them on the back...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Diesel with stick! I dig that pivoting driver's seat.

Looks likes it sleeps 4 technically between down below and the popup. But no sink or shitter.

This one is a 1992 imported from Slovenia--the 25 year rule is starting to yield some interesting stuff.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
On that note, do any companies make a drop-in RV cabover box to put on chassis cab pickups? Or is the choice drop in camper for bed, or a pre-made Class C of dubious quality?
Pretty sure a couple-three companies make flat bed truck campers, not sure about “no-bed” truck campers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So this weekends adventure wasn't as awesome as hoped, but it was another great shake down test and Frita did amazing. The "wild camping" spot we anticipated using was serious trespassing in a field between 2 golf course housing developments. With little coverage, a large diesel powered white box isn't stealth. We got called out as soon as we pulled in. So we just enjoyed the beach and came home.

Did 300 miles up and down the coast, found a ton of places we CAN'T get into, but she is also wicked easy to park and I was able to get into and out of some really tight spots.

Finishing up the backup camera this week and will have it in next weekend, I hope. The wife won't have to jump out so much to spot me. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Aren't those reliability nightmares? Everything designed and built for military comes with high maintenance costs.
I've posted this before, maybe in my thread:

Yes, don't buy a military surplus one and expect it to be turnkey! But that's why such outfits as the one I posted have a niche. They go over it, in theory, and fix what needs to be fixed.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Here's another, albeit more like just another Class C vendor:

I was going to mention Tiger Provan, as well as Earth Roamer, but yeah... more like a Class C in that you’re buying the truck from them too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1 kW PV, 3.2 kW inverter, radiant heat, and a cool setup that recirculates and sterilizes shower water.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Got completely fucked at camping world.
Asked them to replace my gas regulator.
They did.
Asked them to check the pilot light after they replaced it.
They charged me $135 just to do that.
Wouldn't budge. They said they don't even look at something for less than $135.
I'm pissed.
That was one of four $135 'look at' charges'

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Got completely fucked at camping world.
Asked them to replace my gas regulator.
They did.
Asked them to check the pilot light after they replaced it.
They charged me $135 just to do that.
Wouldn't budge. They said they don't even look at something for less than $135.
I'm pissed.
That was one of four $135 'look at' charges'

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
1 kW PV, 3.2 kW inverter, radiant heat, and a cool setup that recirculates and sterilizes shower water.

as far as the recirculating shower water....someone beat them to it already....guy in a 170 inch wb sprinter....also had radiant heat in floors...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Aren't those reliability nightmares? Everything designed and built for military comes with high maintenance costs.
Pretty much anything Milsurp is a reliability nightmare. When the orders come in to reduce fleet size, they don't send the cream of the crop to auction. Most however are theoretically pretty reliable being Cat or Cummins engines and typically Allison transmissions.

I used to be able to buy brand new, zero hour 6x6 Cayman chassis with powertrain for cheap, same basic chassis as an LMTV, really should have bought one for an RV project.