Quantcast

Campers

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
A couple of you have mentioned portable toilets that might work for occasional use when vanning it.

Recommendations and (useful) comments?
How many people for how many days?

We have a Thetford 135 for #1 duty. Probably holds 2 persons worth of pee for 5 days before requiring emptying. Its a nice and compact toilet, though a bit low without a booster. Better for BMs though right?

I'd suggest stepping up to the larger model if you intend to make doodies in it. Not necessarily cause of capacity issues, but more to allow space for the mound to build up.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
A couple of you have mentioned portable toilets that might work for occasional use when vanning it.

Recommendations and (useful) comments?
After a quasi-exhaustive google search I went with this ////model

My kids haven't taken me up on the offer to poop in our living room YET so I can't speak personally but it seemed to garner the best reviews re: ease of emptying / ergonomics / flush.

Some folks complained about the battery operated flush failing (and reverted to using a water bottle to rinse the bowl...) so the lower tech model like Adventurous suggested may be preferable for luddites / the occasional dump(er)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fuck people with 4 (four!!) generators outside their shitty camper. Fuck knows what they were doing in there...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Fuck people with 4 (four!!) generators outside their shitty camper. Fuck knows what they were doing in there...
This is an important point for the camper crowd. If you run your generator all night so you can have the TV on and air conditioning, at the expense of other campers' peace and quiet, fuck off and die.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
This is an important point for the camper crowd. If you run your generator all night so you can have the TV on and air conditioning, at the expense of other campers' peace and quiet, fuck off and die.
Got that right. that crowd belongs in an RV "Campground" that only has RVs not in a public campground with tenters.

I love the generator restrictions in the National Parks 8-10 am, 12-2pm 4-6pm only just enough to charge your batteries.
I put in Solar just so that I don't need to run my generator unless the panels are snow covered..

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If you need a TV or AC camping in CO you're doing it wrong, go home.

edit: It was 36 freedums low temp where we camped on this past Tuesday night.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I worked really hard to spec my setup so that I wouldn't need a generator. AC is the only thing I can't run with my setup and the swamp cooler does well enough, I think.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I’m really happy with my new trailer. The extra space is really nice with the kids. My last trailer didn’t have a tv and I was fine with that. But two weeks on the road/camping with kids it was nice too have them entertained from time to time. I only needed the generator for ac one night. Worth it for the stop in southern Nevada. Otherwise solar all the way.

we did 2600 miles with 68 hours run time. I don’t shut off for fuel stops or other short stops. The trailer had 2200 miles. And we averaged 12.6 mpg for the trip. hottest temp was 116 and lowest was around 46.