Quantcast

Canadian Monkeys - Online Shops

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Louis Garneau Gros Louis 3 fat bikes at Costco.ca for 699$cdn (retails for 1850$ and on sale at bike shops for 1100-1200$). In store they were 600$, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and people are putting them up on marketplace for 1100-1200$.

It's got all the most up to date fat bike standards (100mm bb, 12x197 rear axle, 15x150mm front axle, 27.5" wheels), is very burly and for the price, the specs are quite nice. The Terrene tires alone are worth more than 300$.
I just received mine at lunch and I am very pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Better aligned and welded than my Meta AM! :bonk: I had a cheap 26"x4.0" fat bike and the 27.5x4.5" are huge in comparison. I'll put the SRAM Level brakes on my previous fat bike that I sold to a friend and will install Shimano cable discs instead. In the winter, I don't want to deal with sticky pistons and what not!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Louis Garneau Gros Louis 3 fat bikes at Costco.ca for 699$cdn (retails for 1850$ and on sale at bike shops for 1100-1200$). In store they were 600$, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and people are putting them up on marketplace for 1100-1200$.

It's got all the most up to date fat bike standards (100mm bb, 12x197 rear axle, 15x150mm front axle, 27.5" wheels), is very burly and for the price, the specs are quite nice. The Terrene tires alone are worth more than 300$.
I just received mine at lunch and I am very pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Better aligned and welded than my Meta AM! :bonk: I had a cheap 26"x4.0" fat bike and the 27.5x4.5" are huge in comparison. I'll put the SRAM Level brakes on my previous fat bike that I sold to a friend and will install Shimano cable discs instead. In the winter, I don't want to deal with sticky pistons and what not!
@canadmos to the white courtesy phone

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Cheers, will definitely have to ponder this. Only downside is that its a step back in geometry compared to my busted Rocky Mountain. But still better than a busted Rocky Mountain... :(

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

The Level that came with my RSD Mayor where the worst brake I ever had. My 6 years old Guides are much 'betterer'

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The Level that came with my RSD Mayor where the worst brake I ever had. My 6 years old Guides are much 'betterer'
Ha, my Kona had some low end Level's which I immediately swapped for what are now 9 year old Guide RSC's.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's the HA?
67.5 = Lious
67 = my broken 2017 Blizzard
66 = 2023/24 blizzard

Lengths are all over, hard to really compare on this potatoe phone.

I mean I guess, is that much geometry change worth double the price? Though with the Lious, I'd have to swap some parts - I'd most likely bring the 11 speed shimano over. Microshift is probably as good, but harder to find around here and Advent is not universal like Microshifts other stuff.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
67.5 = Lious
67 = my broken 2017 Blizzard
66 = 2023/24 blizzard

Lengths are all over, hard to really compare on this potatoe phone.

I mean I guess, is that much geometry change worth double the price? Though with the Lious, I'd have to swap some parts - I'd most likely bring the 11 speed shimano over. Microshift is probably as good, but harder to find around here and Advent is not universal like Microshifts other stuff.
At $600 it seems like a good base. And it's not 69 or 68. You could eventually get a fork and slacken the bike more. Wonder what the rear hub is.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@Jozz the rear hub is probably a Formula or else, because it's their "Torngat" house-brand. It seems well made enough.

The Level brakes are gone already, I bought some Shimano mechanicals at Fortnine at 60% off (BR-M375) to go with my Tektro levers. In my experience, well-adjusted mechanicals that are kept clean are perfectly fine for winter fat bike duties and no maintenance. Even the "Radius" shit brakes on my previous CCM fat bike did great for 4 winters with 180mm rotors.

I'm honestly surprised at the quality/price ratio of the Garneau. All the bolts were properly tightened (ie not over-tightened like usual, just right) and greased. It was very well pakaged in the box and the construction quality is great. I'm taking it all apart and rebuilding it up like I do with every bike, but so far, one could just grab it, do a bolt check and go.

Oh, and they are quite long. The geo chart seems right, my Medium has a 630mm ETT, which was borderline too long for me and I usually ride Large bikes.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Jozz the rear hub is probably a Formula or else, because it's their "Torngat" house-brand. It seems well made enough.

The Level brakes are gone already, I bought some Shimano mechanicals at Fortnine at 60% off (BR-M375) to go with my Tektro levers. In my experience, well-adjusted mechanicals that are kept clean are perfectly fine for winter fat bike duties and no maintenance. Even the "Radius" shit brakes on my previous CCM fat bike did great for 4 winters with 180mm rotors.

I'm honestly surprised at the quality/price ratio of the Garneau. All the bolts were properly tightened (ie not over-tightened like usual, just right) and greased. It was very well pakaged in the box and the construction quality is great. I'm taking it all apart and rebuilding it up like I do with every bike, but so far, one could just grab it, do a bolt check and go.

Oh, and they are quite long. The geo chart seems right, my Medium has a 630mm ETT, which was borderline too long for me and I usually ride Large bikes.
How tall are you? I'm 5'8...

630mm ETT is long. Comparing to my medium Banshee Titan, which has a 598mm ETT, that might be right on the edge. Though on the Banshee I also run a 40mm (or maybe its 45 or 50mm stem).

How long of a stem is on it? I have a few stubbies at home that I guess could help remedy that.

I might just grab one of these from Costco and call it a day. I mean who knows, its going to be 9c and sunny here again tomorrow, maybe fat biking won't even be a thing ( :banana: ) this year???

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I'm 5'8" too, but it seems like 620-630mm with a 40mm stem is my sweet spot. The stem is 45mm long and the bars are 20mm rise (780mm wide). The small would probably be a better bet for you, but the seat post lenght is quite short (390mm if I remember right) and the tube's bend isn't that far so seatpost insertion isn't that long.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm 5'8" too, but it seems like 620-630mm with a 40mm stem is my sweet spot. The stem is 45mm long and the bars are 20mm rise (780mm wide). The small would probably be a better bet for you, but the seat post lenght is quite short (390mm if I remember right) and the tube's bend isn't that far so seatpost insertion isn't that long.
Yeah I think the small might have a too short of seat tube, I haven't really measured, but I have always run my seat posts pretty high. And I do have a dropper to put on it.

I guess I could always move the seat forward a bit, in conjunction with a short 35mm stem if needed.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
How tall are you? I'm 5'8...

630mm ETT is long. Comparing to my medium Banshee Titan, which has a 598mm ETT, that might be right on the edge. Though on the Banshee I also run a 40mm (or maybe its 45 or 50mm stem).

How long of a stem is on it? I have a few stubbies at home that I guess could help remedy that.

I might just grab one of these from Costco and call it a day. I mean who knows, its going to be 9c and sunny here again tomorrow, maybe fat biking won't even be a thing ( :banana: ) this year???
But what is the reach?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
But what is the reach?
The Medium Gros Louis 3 has a 461mm reach and 630mm ETT (Large is 482mm reach/655mm ETT, which is huge)
My Large Meta AM has a 468mm reach and 620mm ETT, while my medium NS hardtail has a 455 reach and 635mm ETT.

Like on my HT, I'll bring the saddle rails as far forwards as I can, so it should feel the same as my Meta. If the small GL3 would have had a little longer seat tube, I might have prefered that for winter riding. I don't like to be stretched out, but I don't mind a bit more stability for slippery conditions. It's pretty tall in the front (taller than my 160mm travel bike's front end!) so the position will be pretty good to not have too much weight on the bars.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmm, so a Costco about 80km from here has 3 of them in stock. Would be balls traffic going there, though.

Or their website says delivery estimated for Dec 22nd. Hmmm. I wonder how fast it'd actually show up? I've only ordered one small thing from them online before and it arrived next day pretty much - have to only assume a bigass bike will take longer.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I have ordered mine online and it arrived 2 days later, right at the date that they indicated. They sold out of medium Tuesday for delivery this week and it seems that they have received another batch to deliver next week. I'd guess Dec 22nd is the date that you'd receive it.

I'm glad I have ordered it because the box is huge and I definately wouldn't have been able to bring it back home in my (hatchback) car. If you do drive to get it, you'll save 100$ (they're 600$ in store, which is even crazier), but make sure to bring cutters to cut the tie wraps if you don't have a pickup truck :busted: Deduct the gas money and the hassle and you might be better off getting it delivered, but that's just my opinion haha

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah good point, it'll be over 1/4 tank of gas at least, with it being stop and go traffic for a good portion of that drive.

Plus the absolute utter frustration and chaos of having to go to a Costco in the city. Up in here in my "town" is bad enough.

It has been ordered, oops!

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@konifere do you know the dimensions of the box it came in? I have nothing to do tonight, so I might drive down to that Costco and grab a bike.

I just have a VW wagon, but its pretty roomy. The box can't be bigger than three 55 gallon drums, which fit, right?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
@konifere do you know the dimensions of the box it came in? I have nothing to do tonight, so I might drive down to that Costco and grab a bike.

I just have a VW wagon, but its pretty roomy. The box can't be bigger than three 55 gallon drums, which fit, right?

That's a lot of mayonnaise.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Hiding the drug money?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Only if it's artisanal Canadian gravy made with the freshest fats from all the animals.

Yes. More of that please.