Quantcast

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
but in all seriousness I'd think it's only a matter of time until Cane Creek releases us a new air shock. Their current air offerings have been on the market or what seems like forever. A CCDBA could well be on it's way.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
but in all seriousness I'd think it's only a matter of time until Cane Creek releases us a new air shock. Their current air offerings have been on the market or what seems like forever. A CCDBA could well be on it's way.
It would weigh about as much as other coil shocks.....(given the CCDB is 200g + over RC4/Vivid/Etc...)

I keed, I keed!

Is it really time to embrace air shocks (rear) for DH? Restricted to smaller riders? or can us fatties join?

I run an air setup on my trail bike, and it works well, albeit a little less active in the beginning of travel than I would prefer. I didnt do the Vivid air on my V10c because at my weight I fall above the Mfr spec pressures (Im working on it...) but was very interested in the possibility.

EDITORIAL COMMENT: This post/query is a somewhat serious response independent of the fact (or fiction) of the CCDBA's legitimacy, or any April 1 related shenanigans.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
im not engineer,pretty sure the twin tube design only works for hydraulic dampening.

not air.but I could be wrong.April ****ing fools

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
im not engineer,pretty sure the twin tube design only works for hydraulic dampening.

not air.but I could be wrong.April ****ing fools
I dont know of anyone that uses an air damper since Cane Creek used to make the AD-* series. Air shocks use an air spring, but essentially the same hydraulic damper components as any coil.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I cant speak for the RC4, which I dont have or want, but it was ~200g's heavier than my Vivid when we weighed it in IH8Rice's garage. Doesn't jibe with the SickLines chart tho. Hmmm....
I will say that CC's coils tend to be on the portly side. Did you weigh the shocks with coils on them?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I cant speak for the RC4, which I dont have or want, but it was ~200g's heavier than my Vivid when we weighed it in IH8Rice's garage. Doesn't jibe with the SickLines chart tho. Hmmm....
The vivid has a very big, burly spring. It's possible the vivid with spring is ~200 g heavier than the cane Creek with spring but the shock bodies alone do not have as big of a variation in weight...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pic is too small to tell if its been shopped, but something about the angle of the reservoir in comparison to everything else seems off...

shopped or not, i would definitely bet that CC is working on an air sprung DB, should start saving now. would rule on my trail bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
RC4 has that big shaft and that huge reservoir so I'm not suprised it would also be heavier. But I'd be happier if they made a front fork. Don't care for air rear that much.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Are people seriously weighing shocks with springs?
Without them the difference is so small that personally I don't think it's even worth discussing. The RC4 isn't heavy by any means, don't forget the shaft is alloy not steel.

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/rearshocks/
It actually happens to be lighter than the CCDB, BOS, Elka, Vivid, basically everything.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Got to stare at Malcolm's Double Barrel Air today. Joked that I was gonna take a pic and make money. He told me he'd rather I didn't. :D

I feel special...and yet shamed that I made a buddy feel awkward with a bad joke. So goes my daily life.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
I hope the sworks enduro comes with a CCDBA as standard - that will be one hell of a setup. Second hope that it comes in a less than usual lairy Spec colorway :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't think knob access looks that bad, they have the little tool that makes it pretty easy from the side.

I don't really have a bike that I think I'd particularly want one on right now, but the coil one on my DH bike is awesome, and it's always nice to have more options.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dear Supercow...take note. Sarcasm meter should be set to full on in this forum. :thumb:

As for getting to knobs, Malcolm said the air valve can be rotated to whatever position on the clock you want it. That will help with getting a shock pump at the right angle for the right frame.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
doesnt look like that from the pics
My educated guess it's like the air sleeve on RP23, when the shock isn't pressurized you can rotate it.

I just wish these companies would try to make lighter (or lighten existing ones) coil shocks in stead of trying to make air shocks feel like coil. But that's just me... :D

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
pic is too small to tell if its been shopped, but something about the angle of the reservoir in comparison to everything else seems off...

shopped or not, i would definitely bet that CC is working on an air sprung DB, should start saving now. would rule on my trail bike.
x2,if you look at multiple pics,some of the bodies are diff.

I still have a hard time beleiving the twin tube technology follows into the air dampn'd world...... IE all the ajusters being the same etc.

Also looking at how the "air fitting" or wtv you wana call it,seems to be different in the pix too.^^^^ edit just noticed talk of body being rotateable.

The only reason air shocks are out in the dh world is for weenies with wallets.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
x2,if you look at multiple pics,some of the bodies are diff.
what's that? a prototype shock with each iteration that doesn't look identical? inconceivable

I still have a hard time beleiving the twin tube technology follows into the air dampn'd world...... IE all the ajusters being the same etc.
you're also still apparently having a hard time understanding the difference between an air sprung shock and an air damped shock

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
what's that? a prototype shock with each iteration that doesn't look identical? inconceivable

you're also still apparently having a hard time understanding the difference between an air sprung shock and an air damped shock
if the ccdb air ever comes to the real world,and it comes out with twintube,with the exact same ajusters etc. I will buy you beer for the night.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
if the ccdb air ever comes to the real world,and it comes out with twintube,with the exact same ajusters etc. I will buy you beer for the night.

the fact I own a rear shock that uses this design,and that it is COIL SPRuNG AND OIL DAMP'd

VERSUS A AIR SPRUNG and damp'd shock

just doesn't make any sense to how air volumes will work like oil control.

does the vivid air look or have the same ajusters as the vivid coil.......

answer that question,just the question about rockshox and similairities.
didn't think so.
Air shocks still use oil damping.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i wanna get this offer notarized so i'll be able to take you up on it. I like good beer, and I can drink a lot of it.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
how does the air control the hydraulic flow to the anjusters aka twin tube.........

anyway......... its to much for me.

more pics

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
how does the air control the hydraulic flow to the anjusters aka twin tube.........

anyway......... its to much for me.
it doesn't...

the spring mechanism (coil, air, elastomers, magnets, etc) is physically separated from the damping unit of the shock. the damping circuit is a closed, sealed oil system. the oil is controlled by the main piston of the shock, which is essentially what connects your spring mechanism to your damping mechanism.