Quantcast

Carbon V10

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
Sorry, a tiny bit off topic here, but does anyone know how SC prioritizes their orders for frames?

I've had it happen twice now where my LBS has put in my frame order with SC on the first day they are accepting orders for them ('08 V-10.3 and now a V-10.4), and then other local riders who ordered (through different shops) weeks or even a month after I did already have their frames? I'm cool as long as it comes before the snow is gone, but it is a little annoying.

Anyway, I'm just sincerly wondering how their system works?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Sorry, a tiny bit off topic here, but does anyone know how SC prioritizes their orders for frames?

I've had it happen twice now where my LBS has put in my frame order with SC on the first day they are accepting orders for them ('08 V-10.3 and now a V-10.4), and then other local riders who ordered (through different shops) weeks or even a month after I did already have their frames? I'm cool as long as it comes before the snow is gone, but it is a little annoying.

Anyway, I'm just sincerly wondering how their system works?
It works in the way you allready think it works :thumb:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
shops that are "insider" shops and big SC dealers that sell more units get their bikes first in general (just like every other bike company). It also has to do with what sizes come in first - I doubt SC is sitting on their frames when they arrive, they're getting them out as quickly as possible I'm certain.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I really wanted to try Kaisers but I tend to ride heavy and like riding USTs so that a big no go.
Though Im suprised why wont they make UST Kaisers. They and Schwable have a very wide range of UST tires for enduro and FR but somehow they dont want to do dh USTs.
FWIW, I've been running Kaisers on 823's tubeless since July with zero issues. That includes a Whistler trip and a few trips to a spot I usually kill tires at.

I'm 200lbs and keep them around 30psi.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Shipping priority has little to do with being an "insider"

Big shops get them first, and so do shops that pay cash. Most shops get their bikes (and other inventory) on credit. The few shops that have cash reserves, are the ones that get priority.
In all business, cash is king

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Schwable Rep at bike expo in Munich told me they are not for it because UST tires fall of rims easier but that only means he didnt know what he was talking about. The lack of ust tires annoys me whne most dh wheels are UST ready (mavic, fulcrum, crank, easton?)
dont care about UST name..

just use common tires. I use non UST Schwalbe on 823 and it works well :thumb: 22 psi and no problems I guess im not riding hard enough, haha

put sealant between rim and tire from outside so it is sealed on edge of rim outside not only inside

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Shipping priority has little to do with being an "insider"

Big shops get them first, and so do shops that pay cash. Most shops get their bikes (and other inventory) on credit. The few shops that have cash reserves, are the ones that get priority.
In all business, cash is king
DING DING DING

Also size can be a component; I tend on the lucky size with the XL frames. They often linger in inventory a bit, so I have never waited more than 2 weeks for any of my 5 SC's so far.

Last week they had 1 Black unclaimed XL in inventory, I imaging someone snagged it by now, but if I had put the order in cash I would be seeing it about now. (I haven't ordered yet for clandestine reasones (!?!??!!!) )

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what difference does a cash paying customer have compared to someone who is paying through a finance company? its not like the line of credit is through SC. if a customer has a open line of credit, their orders should be shipped just as fast.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
what difference does a cash paying customer have compared to someone who is paying through a finance company? its not like the line of credit is through SC. if a customer has a open line of credit, their orders should be shipped just as fast.
While a shop rat getting his prodeal pays with a CC, the shop buys their inventory on "terms". They put in a large pre-season order to lock in attractive prices and in return, manufactures give them 3-6 months to pay it off. This allows small shops to get large amounts of inventory they really can't afford and sell it before they have to pay for it. This is a much better deal than say, putting it on your LOC and paying interest.
This is how 75% of the merchandise in bike shops and retail in general is bought. Large pre-season orders direct from the manufacturer on terms.
Some shops have deep pockets and can get even better pricing and shipping priority by just paying cash.
I've worked on both sides of this process.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
As BYO said, shop credit is usually with the distributor, not with a bank or whatever other finance institution, therefore it does make a difference whether they pay up front or on credit.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
dont care about UST name..

just use common tires. I use non UST Schwalbe on 823 and it works well :thumb: 22 psi and no problems I guess im not riding hard enough, haha

put sealant between rim and tire from outside so it is sealed on edge of rim outside not only inside
Thanks for the tip. I may try something other than Maxxis or Hutch this season after all ;)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
As BYO said, shop credit is usually with the distributor, not with a bank or whatever other finance institution, therefore it does make a difference whether they pay up front or on credit.
I dont believe SC uses a distributor for US sales; all sales are direct between shop (or end user) and them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Though Im suprised why wont they make UST Kaisers. They and Schwable have a very wide range of UST tires for enduro and FR but somehow they dont want to do dh USTs.
Schwable Rep at bike expo in Munich told me they are not for it because UST tires fall of rims easier but that only means he didnt know what he was talking about. The lack of ust tires annoys me whne most dh wheels are UST ready (mavic, fulcrum, crank, easton?)
Aren't the 2011 MY Schwalbe tires all "tubeless ready"? The bead is supposed to be tighter so you can run them with Stan's. Dunno if they also do this for the DH tires.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
IIRC, the swingarm is the same for all sizes. i of course, can be wrong or maybe the Driver 8 is selling better :D
Not sure about the size thing but I think you are correct. And although the V10's swingarm is based on the one from the driver it's actually a bit different. Different axle, among other things.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Different axle, among other things.
axle looks pretty similar in pics. do you know what else is different?
everything i read about the swingarm, says its from the Driver 8...but they are old articles
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/santa-cruz-v-10-carbon-first-look-26024
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2011-santa-cruz-v10-2010.html

Anyone else heard this? I was told they're behind but only a couple weeks.
wait, did they say "2 weeks?" :rofl::rofl:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
When in doubt, consult the FAQ:
"The swingarm is very similar, but it is different. The V10 uses some slightly different structural elements for stiffness, and a pinch bolt for the rear wheel axle (unlike the Driver 8, which uses the Maxle)."

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
everything i read about the swingarm, says its from the Driver 8...but they are old articles
From their site. It is different...
"I read that the V10c uses the same swingarm as the Driver 8- is that true?

The swingarm is very similar, but it is different. The V10 uses some slightly different structural elements for stiffness, and a pinch bolt for the rear wheel axle (unlike the Driver 8, which uses the Maxle)."

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/v10_carbon/#faq.php

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
like i said. old article

i found this
The swingarm is very similar, but it is different. The V10 uses some slightly different structural elements for stiffness, and a pinch bolt for the rear wheel axle (unlike the Driver 8, which uses the Maxle)."

:D

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Got a chance to ride one of these yesterday. Absolutely loved it. I ave lots of time on previous generations of v10s and other bikes. This has got to be the best race bike ever made. Light as hell, stiff, great pedalling performance, awesome suspension.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to respond pronto.