Quantcast

Carbon V10

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Uh ya, you do. Your body weight has nothing to do with the rebound when you are unweighting your bike. Like say, off of the lip of a jump.
Off the lip of a jump the force of your body weight + gravity are acting against the spring. Once you're in the air it doesn't matter because the ground isn't there to act against the wheel which acts against the spring.

Unless you can instantly have zero force acting against the spring before the spring has a chance to react to the nonexistent weight.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If what you're saying is true different weight riders would need different shock tunes to compensate for increased or decreased spring rates.
Haha, they do - that's what the adjusters are for.
According to what you're saying, you'd use the same amount of rebound damping whether you weighed 100lbs or 200lbs, and thus regardless of spring rate.

You might want to take a few steps back man. :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just in case you were still deluded... Here's a brief bla bla about how the energy stored in the spring differs by spring weight and why you adjust rebound to suit it. You'll notice I said to a few clicks in my original post, this was for track differences/handling etc as mentioned below.

Firstly think about two different scenarios. Taking off over a jump and landing after one. As the wheel leaves the ground the suspension will open until it reaches full droop or full open. The only weight acting on the rebound damping force is the weight of the Unsprung weight (the wheel, brake calliper, wheel hub etc) which is anything under the spring, and the energy stored in the spring (the difference of the springs fitted/loaded length and free length/open length). E.g. If the fitted/loaded length of the spring is 8 inch, and the free/open length is 12 inch, and the spring rate is 100lb per inch (linear rate), there is 400lb of additional force opening the damper, which is acting on the rebound force.

Once you have landed and fully compressed the spring and damper (and possible onto the bump stops) the amount of stored energy in the spring (and possible bump stop energy) will be at its maximum. This stored energy will want to explode, forcing the damper open, firing the sprung weight (body) into the air. The initial movement from the fully compressed damper will need maximum rebound damping force (high speed) to control the rebound or opening. As the spring reaches its natural fitted/loaded length the rebound forces needed to the control the rebound will drop as the stored energy is released. The perfect rebound damping forces will allow the spring to return to its fitted/loaded length without “over shooting” or passing its natural ride height, which would result in the sprung weight (body) going back in to bump travel (bouncing). So the dampers rebound forces needs to react with higher and lower damping forces depending on the energy stored in the spring. In theory there is only one rebound damping force needed for a given weight and spring rate, the “critical damping force”. However, the ability to adjust the rebound can have dramatic effects on the handling.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Haha, they do - that's what the adjusters are for.
According to what you're saying, you'd use the same amount of rebound damping whether you weighed 100lbs or 200lbs, and thus regardless of spring rate.

You might want to take a few steps back man. :)
Those are adjusters are also used on lots of bikes with different leverage ratios with riders with different riding styles. That's why there is a huge range of adjustment on stock shocks.

How do you explain this then? If each spring rate required a different rebound setting then these "starting points" would all differ on each spring rate.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Off the lip of a jump the force of your body weight + gravity are acting against the spring. Once you're in the air it doesn't matter because the ground isn't there to act against the wheel which acts against the spring.

Unless you can instantly have zero force acting against the spring before the spring has a chance to react to the nonexistent weight.

Um. See that equation at the bottom of your page? Go away and solve it for critical damping. See how your required damping coefficient is dependent on spring rate?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How do you explain this then? If each spring rate required a different rebound setting then these "starting points" would all differ on each spring rate.
That is wrong. Those values (at the very least rebound) should vary for different spring rates.

See here for an example:
http://www.turnerbikes.com/011/tech/2011Turner_OwnersManual.pdf

SPRING RATES:
~170lb rider: 350 spring •REB: -7 clicks out
~200lb rider: 400 spring •REB: -5 clicks out

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Um. See that equation at the bottom of your page? Go away and solve it for critical damping. See how your required damping coefficient is dependent on spring rate?
That is wrong. Those values (at the very least rebound) should vary for different spring rates.

See here for an example:
http://www.turnerbikes.com/011/tech/2011Turner_OwnersManual.pdf

SPRING RATES:
~170lb rider: 350 spring •REB: -7 clicks out
~200lb rider: 400 spring •REB: -5 clicks out
I stand corrected. Thanks for useful input Udi and big ted.

whiteman

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Hey guys hoping one of the taller v10c owners can help me out here.

I'm set on getting a V10c, I'm just not 100% sure on sizing.
My measurements are;
- a hair shy of 6'3" tall
- 6'3" arm span
- 34.5" inseam length

I'm tossing up between either a L or XL frame. I can most likely manage to test a L frame, the only issue is no one vaguely local rides an XL. I feel like I'm somewhere in between the two sizes but I'm not sure. For all I know the XL might be ridiculously massive and I don't have anything to compare frame measurements to.

Hopefully someone with similar measurements can shed some light onto what size they ride and how they find the fit etc.

Any help is much appreciated,
Tom

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hey, I have an XL Im 6'5 - 6'6. I find it a bit small, Id like another little bit on the TT. Im long legged .
Its not a huge bike by anymeans. Its actually comparable to some other bike manufacturers large, for example the L spec demo is prob a little longer on the TT.
(the demo has very short chain stays so wouldnt feel as long)

With the measurements of the v10 you need to take into consideration the amount of sag it uses.. , when there is more sag in a bike design.. when you ride it.. the rear drops so the handlebars come slightly closer to you making the cockpit smaller.... smaller than what is spec'd on the site..
When you read through the measurements on their website you kind of forget this, but with this bike I feel it should be taken into account.

So to compare to other bikes when you are looking at the numbers you have to take this into account....

The old alu v10 was a very small Large. In 2009 or 2008 Peaty got a custom version with a 1.5 headtube to make the TT a bit longer....
As far as I know all the Syndicate ride XL v10's. They are all pretty tall guys! all of them are about 6 foot 3 to 6foot4. If I were you Id get the XL but maybe you like small frames, most people are moving to longer TT's now though ...

Hope that helps, but maybe ride the Large v10 and have a think about it.. what did you ride before this?

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I am 6 ft and ride a xl frame with a 30mm stem and it feels spot on for me. At your height you should probably be on a xl frame if you want a normal feeling from it.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Get an XL. It has a 1/2" longer TT than the previous gen large. The new large is 1/2" shorter than it used to be. At 6'2" I was happy on the old large and felt he new one is a little short. I'd think anyone taller than me would definitely want the XL.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hey, I have an XL Im 6'5 - 6'6. I find it a bit small, Id like another little bit on the TT. Im long legged .
Its not a huge bike by anymeans. Its actually comparable to some other bike manufacturers large, for example the L spec demo is prob a little longer on the TT.
(the demo has very short chain stays so wouldnt feel as long)
Hmm, I'm 6'8" / 38.5" inseam and have to disagree that any L anywhere, or even most XL's are near the size of a V10c. Ive tried just about every XL except an FTW (which Gemeni2k claims is the largest of the large), and plenty of L this n thats.

Numbers shmumbers, nothing close. Demo is nowhere near the size. Some of SC's XL's have been short/small - not this one. (I have 4 others)

I wouldnt recommend an XL V10c to anyone under 6'3" -- this fella is definitely on the border.

Last edited:

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Numbers shmumbers, nothing close. Demo is nowhere near the size. Some of SC's XL's have been short/small - not this one. (I have 4 others)
Hi Banzai,
you mentioned in your post that some of the XL's are shorter? could you expand on that? Its interesting....

I would of thought SC would just have one mould for the XL considering the price of them.

Did you ever measure the distance from the bottom of the headtube to the centre of the BB ? that would be a pretty accurate measurement of the length? I would be interested to see what yours is...

cheers

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Interesting because in 8.5" mode the V10c has a shorter front center and reach. I used the 8.5" to compare because the static head angle matches that of the Demo.

Hmm, I'm 6'8" / 38.5" inseam and have to disagree that any L anywhere, or even most XL's are near the size of a V10c. Ive tried just about every XL except an FTW (which Gemeni2k claims is the largest of the large), and plenty of L this n thats.

I wouldnt recommend an XL V10c to anyone under 6'3" -- this fella is definitely on the border.

gazzou

Chimp
Jan 5, 2011
Qc
Hi, could i ride a medium V10c at 5.6 ??? small v10 reach looks really short compare to my small Demo 2011

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Interesting because in 8.5" mode the V10c has a shorter front center and reach. I used the 8.5" to compare because the static head angle matches that of the Demo.
I dont fit on a Large demo, I do comfortably on XL V10c, no math required. Someone is measuring wrong somewhere along the line.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
yeah. their XL's are like other mfg's large frames. my XL Butcher feels great for me at 6'2"
Exactly, I have a variety of XL SC's, VPFree and Chameleon are Pretty Large, I wouldnt call em XL tho, the LT2 is definitely pretty much anyone elses Large, but the V10 is a limo.

Both yours and Siko's L M9's felt like roller skates to me! (as in strap one to each foot and have at 'er)

Last edited:

whiteman

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards an XL at the moment. I'll have to find someone local willing to let me have a spin on their large too see how that feels at least.

Hope that helps, but maybe ride the Large v10 and have a think about it.. what did you ride before this?
That's probably the best idea. I'll ask some locals and try and at least ride a large. Currently I'm on a medium Sunday, which feels wayyy too small.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Ive been following this thread for a bit now and am just curious again; with sizing. I know it can be personal pref. but I just want your thoughts on it. Im 5'10, 30" inseam and ride a med. '10 SX Trail. Looking at the nos., the sxt has a 430mm reach, almost identical number to the reach of a M '11 Demo. Imo the feeling I get riding both bikes is quite close, but the Demo feels lower and longer.
Now for the V10c, which honestly is on top of my list for a first full DH build. the med. V10c has a 400mm reach iirc, a lil over an inch shorter than my sxt. Any 5'9-11" guys here riding a M and your thoughts on the size?

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Ive been following this thread for a bit now and am just curious again; with sizing. I know it can be personal pref. but I just want your thoughts on it. Im 5'10, 30" inseam and ride a med. '10 SX Trail. Looking at the nos., the sxt has a 430mm reach, almost identical number to the reach of a M '11 Demo. Imo the feeling I get riding both bikes is quite close, but the Demo feels lower and longer.
Now for the V10c, which honestly is on top of my list for a first full DH build. the med. V10c has a 400mm reach iirc, a lil over an inch shorter than my sxt. Any 5'9-11" guys here riding a M and your thoughts on the size?
I am 5'10", and ride a medium v10. Had an intense m9 in medium before, but the v10, although shorter in reach rides really welll for me

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Any 5'9-11" guys here riding a M and your thoughts on the size?
I'm 6'1" with relatively long arms and I love my large v10c. For me, the medium feels a little cramped but the large is perfect. From what I've seen, most people your size prefer the medium.

One cool thing is that pretty much all the other dimensions are the same, so you can base your decision purely on the reach dimension and the resulting wheelbase. So for example, the large is not any bigger than a medium in standover height or headtube size. Long and low baby!

In any case, your best bet is always to try to swing a leg over one or other before making the call.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Remember that it is easier to fine tune the "feel" with a longer frame and going down in stem length. Going to short and having to run a longer stem probably wont be as good as the other way around.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I appreciate all the replies. This build isnt anything soon, but the V10c is just a masterpiece. And having only experienced personal bikes with SP and FSR suspensions, Im really curious how vpp is :)

And yes the medium looks spot on, and the SA is way slacker vs. my current bike, so adjusting in my part is necessary, along with other tweaks in terms of riding a bike with strict downhill geometry. With the V10 on top, other frames Im considering are the Podium and Wilson...and maybe the Demo in carbon :D

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I can only say that my v10c is all that i want a dh bike to be. Built up so nicely, no problems what so ever unlike my previous demo 8. Rides super sweet, it can plow but is still quite agile only downside is that it is a little high so you dont get the "in the bike feeling" as strongly as a demo 8 etc. Personally i think it is better to be able to pedal in more spots than feeling a little faster through corners, so the higher bb is nice.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
^ I can see your point. And having more than a year on my sxt and some time on a '11 Demo, I am really digging the low and 'inside' feeling. I have no idea how a V10 would be like, but static bb height isnt too high and popping it in the 8.5" setting, would seem like the perfect do it all gravity machine. Slacker, and sub 14in bb isnt bad at all. WB of a med v10 is only a couple mm's shorter than my sxt with a Boxxer, should feel right at home.