Quantcast

Climate Change...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A fun podcast series some of you already know about. Starting at "the crumbles" it's a take framed exclusively in the context of global warming effects on society. If you can get past the first few minutes of hokey fiction framing, most of the discussion is pretty good.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
More dumbass journalism. From Reuters about Elon’s AI day:

Musk has expressed complicated and contradictory views of artificial intelligence. He has touted Tesla’s AI as industry leading, but also said artificial intelligence could destroy humanity and pose bigger risks than nuclear-armed North Korea.
It would be really nice if the author had half a clue about what they were on about and had read even the basics about different types of AI.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
More dumbass journalism. From Reuters about Elon’s AI day:

It would be really nice if the author had half a clue about what they were on about and had read even the basics about different types of AI.

Especially since AI doesn't actually exist. We can write very powerful algorithms to run on very powerful computers that can do very powerful things but AI still just does what we program it to do.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Especially since AI doesn't actually exist. We can write very powerful algorithms to run on very powerful computers that can do very powerful things but AI still just does what we program it to do.
gooddisgruntledcat.jpg

We're already trying hard to wipe ourselves out as it is.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmm...don't remember punching anyone in the last week........

I did brake check a few subies and teslas that were tailgating me while I was taking valuables to storage, so maybe.

edit: heh, they interviewed two friends of mine.

one of them is the guy in red in this video

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hmm...don't remember punching anyone in the last week........

I did brake check a few subies and teslas that were tailgating me while I was taking valuables to storage, so maybe.

edit: heh, they interviewed two friends of mine.

one of them is the guy in red in this video

That you in the blue riding the ROCK HO?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This is cool. Essentially though we (our governments) are probably gonna have to tax us and just build and run loads of these.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
okay I watched it anyway

"old man gawks at toys because body doesn't work anymore"

these are cooler

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

@Changleen - You seen this yet?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Nope, hadn’t seen that one, thanks. Posted it to ‘the wall’ at work. Cheers.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Both water and urea electrolysis

Huh huh. gon put some wires on muh nuts and peepee hydrogen

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
There is loads of work being done on novel catalysts for H2 and NH3 round the world.

(NH3 is a useful precursor chemical in itself and also a great way to store hydrogen in a stable, considerate more dense form at way closer to STP — At the moment NH3 catalysis is kinda crap but if we can make it better it’d be a great way to ship hydrogen around the place and store it long term.)

The issue for catalysts is similar to batteries though; unacceptably fast degradation over time. Many of these nanoscale foam/ultra high surface area ones have issues with longevity. There are some really cool ideas with embedding these materials in tougher substrates whilst retaining much of the ridiculous surface area.