Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Last year i finished my Edge TL Comp. after ages...
found a used on one eBay!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1493441/

And 3 TLD D2's for BMX riders.
Same base design but with a personal theme running on the sides.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1467698/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1493440/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1493439/

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1467697/
Those D2's look great, but am I the only one who thinks it's really lame to paint yourself a Redbull helmet?

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Have two weeks off over Christmas(plant shut down. Not cool!), a nice airbrush, a compressor and some mediocre art skills(none of which are airbrushing, though..D'oh!).
So how did it end for a 1st timer?

Or did Santa bring ya' a new helmet?

Like JayDee said; prepping is key!
Proper masking and a nice wet-look clear to top it of.

Le' me/us see some pictures mate...

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Those D2's look great, but am I the only one who thinks it's really lame to paint yourself a Redbull helmet?
QUOTE]

Hi General Lee,

Nope... i was biased too but i needed a Red Bull 'model' to showcase for dutch prospect clients. Since so many are asking for it.

In the end most find a custompainted helmet to expensive when i quote prices. (that's Holland! If i see prices of designs at Airtrix... no way people overhere will pay that kind of money for a paintjob.)

Alas it's still a hobby unlike Mr. Dylan Dean!

Now those 3 BMX-er have matching rides too which i painted.
Haven't uploaded pics of those yet for you to view.

About Red Bull; it's a design that works.
Bold and clear design... instantly recognisable.

I'll try to stay away from intricate designs especially for Dirt, where falling/crashing is a part of the sport.

If your not a pro-rider with sponsorship portofolio what good is it to have intricate design with, intermixing shapes, outlines with in- and out shadings, pinstripes? Your afraid to fall when training or racing... so holding you back when you should be free of mind and let it all flow.

But hey that's my opinion.

ps. Once MBA had a Top Ten of stuff not needed, a custom painted helmet was one of them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
About Red Bull; it's a design that works.
Bold and clear design... instantly recognisable.

I'll try to stay away from intricate designs especially for Dirt, where falling/crashing is a part of the sport.

ps. Once MBA had a Top Ten of stuff not needed, a custom painted helmet was one of them.
It's also trademarked and aggressively protected by red bull. It could get you in a whole lot of trouble.

Also, ignore or do the complete opposite of whatever Mountain Bike Fiction says.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
It seems custom painted helmets is mainly a full-face affair or are here riders with in-mold XC lids which are customized?

I know this guy who had his D2 painted in a single solid color by his nephew. Upon returnal it was complete yellow!
?
Nephew didn't tape up/mask off the airports or even the eva rubber chinpiece.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

On Reply!

Yes the Red Bull design is trademarked... well it's not commercially used.

I remember a D3 design in rootbeer red w. Cptn. Morgan and a Coca Cola swoosh. Was he court ordered?

D3 is still in business... even expanding!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It seems custom painted helmets is mainly a full-face affair or are here riders with in-mold XC lids which are customized?

I know this guy who had his D2 painted in a single solid color by his nephew. Upon returnal it was complete yellow!
?
Nephew didn't tape up/mask off the airports or even the eva rubber chinpiece.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

On Reply!

Yes the Red Bull design is trademarked... well it's not commercially used.

I remember a D3 design in rootbeer red w. Cptn. Morgan and a Coca Cola swoosh. Was he court ordered?

D3 is still in business... even expanding!
You are using it to promote a business, therefore it IS being commercially used. I deal with trademark/image rights issues almost everyday. You are not authorized to paint their logo.

The difference is that Redbull aggressively protects it's logo in matters such as this, especially in action sports. Coke and Captain morgan do not.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
It's also trademarked and aggressively protected by red bull. It could get you in a whole lot of trouble.

Also, ignore or do the complete opposite of whatever Mountain Bike Fiction says.
i think he's fine as long as he doesn't sell it or make money off painting it for clients not sponsored by red bull.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i think he's fine as long as he doesn't sell it or make money off painting it for clients not sponsored by red bull.
Redbull actually has come down on painters doing their logo/pattern without authorization in the past. They are super selective with who can paint their helmets (as you undoubtedly know).

Hell, you can't even wear your work clothing (hat/shirt etc) if you are a redbull employee off the clock.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Redbull actually has come down on painters doing their logo/pattern without authorization in the past. They are super selective with who can paint their helmets (as you undoubtedly know).

Hell, you can't even wear your work clothing (hat/shirt etc) if you are a redbull employee off the clock.
yup, know that. It's kind of hard going after someone for painting a logo for their own personal use. If the painter is making money or advertising falsely that they paint for said company, then I can see an issue. But for own personal use...it's a bit tough to determine what money red bull or whoever else lost because of it. Tough court battle and I'm sure they would lose more money going to court than they are going to win. Personally, if it is a logo like that, I still check up with the company and make sure it's alright to paint it just to stay on the safe side of things.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya, but redbull doesn't really have to litigate. They threaten. who in their right mind goes to court to protect their own personal helmet paint job? ha.

Anyways, like i said, it COULD get him in trouble. Especially if he tries to use this to promote his work in a portfolio.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
when it comes to painting up other companies logos... it's kind of a think line you walk... on one hand, you are copying a companies trademarked logo... on the other hand, if you're not "selling" it.. could it be considered a piece of artwork? & be considered a "freedom of expression" or some deal like that? what about Andy Warhol's Campbell soup painting? i donno... just rambling thoughts.

the captain & coke lid is my personal lid... & i'm even workin on a redbull / vodka lid... again for myself. would i advertise with these? definitley not would i paint these for a customer? probably not.. but it depends on the logos used...

how many times have you seen the Jack Daniel's logo used on a lid? even larger paint shops like TLD have used it. i don't think they'd dare put it on their jersey's.. but a lid? a little different

one of my old employers painted himself up a Coors Light helmet. He actually got a call from someone at Coors. He almost pissed himself thinking that he was going to get in trouble.. but they guy there was stoked on it & wanted one for himself! haha.

so i guess i'm saying is that some logos aren't as big of an issue as others. as Fraser said.. it might dependon whether or not the company cares. would a paint a JD logo for someone? possibly.. a redbull? no.

wait til you see my latest copyright infringement... "I wannna go fast!"

those of you at fontucky will know what i mean! haha

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Aye caramba!

It's getting hot in the kitchen! ! !

But err. like i mentioned earlier painting is just hobby for me, i have no business like D3. Just something on the side / moonlighting.
So no showcasing on a corporate website whatsoever.

Yes copyright / prohibited blabla... jadajada... i understand your point Transcend Mag. Still it is a personal helmet, can't even wear the friggin' Tupperware spec. plastic helmet being it to large!

How many of you guys wanting a Red Bulled helmet will go to 'official Red Bull design appointed painter' Chris Woods / Airtrix?

I mean look at the pricing.

I've eyed Michal Prokop' D2 upclose at European Competition BMX rounds, nowhere near Airtrix quality.
Gaps between colors... slight overspray... he's using it anyways.

Reason i believe also for topbrands to prohibited 'replicas' / use of logo is that they have no control in outcome of work. Like they want it to be topnotch/following a brandguide... being a 'advertisement' for them.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
yah, i wouldn't sweat it... i say it's similar to the US government coming down on people "stealing" music online. Might not really be legit... but ya cant really stop it! hahaha

yah, there are a number of official RedBull painters around the world.. some better than others. Airtrix is definitely their best! great work there!

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Rakim says.: Don't sweat the technique!

Aah well... Red Bull is outdated anyways, far to high profille nowadays; i will paint me up Monster energy TLD D2!

Eggshell Black base with subtle Jetblack pinstripes and 4 HOK Neon Green clawed stripes.

Just like MOTOGP rider John Hopkins or Champ Car 'bad boy' Paul Tracy. Sam Hill who???

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Hello Thrillseeka',

Can you please post your self painted helmet?

To lighten up this heavy matter about Trademarks/Copyright ramblings.

ps. Transcend, your photo's on Flickr are copyrighted right?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ya, but redbull doesn't really have to litigate. They threaten. who in their right mind goes to court to protect their own personal helmet paint job? ha.

Anyways, like i said, it COULD get him in trouble. Especially if he tries to use this to promote his work in a portfolio.
If it was any company other than Redbull, I would say that you are being overly cautious, but that damn company protects its logo
like no other.
A company that will tell you straight up they only sponsor the top 1% in any sport. They obviously do not want "Weekend Wally" racing sport in a replica helmet.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If it was any company other than Redbull, I would say that you are being overly cautious, but that damn company protects its logo
like no other.
A company that will tell you straight up they only sponsor the top 1% in any sport. They obviously do not want "Weekend Wally" racing sport in a replica helmet.
Exactly. Anyone else is no big deal. Redbull IS it's logo though. The only other company I know who used to protect their logo with the same ferocity was no fear.

Bernard

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
The Netherlands
ok, here's mine.

And yes.. I stole the design more or a less from impact designs...

I just wanted to try something and it's not really finished yet. (especially the visor)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I ended up buying a D2, and I'm going to wait till summer to paint anything, it's 4 degrees outside and my wife runs a daycare in the lower level. Can't get the kids stoned apparently. Whatever.
And I'm not diggin the redbull fake. You better be goddamned good to pull that off. I'd say most of the guys wearing those lids fully deserve it simply for their level of riding, others for their influence of the sport. Stuff like that takes away from their signifigance and cheapens the value of it all, and I'm not talking about money.
I hope you don't also wear the same funky hat the pope wears...with an NYC logo or something on it...? Budweiser?
Not cool dude.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
And I'm not diggin the redbull fake. You better be goddamned good to pull that off. I'd say most of the guys wearing those lids fully deserve it simply for their level of riding, others for their influence of the sport. Stuff like that takes away from their signifigance and cheapens the value of it all, and I'm not talking about money.
I hope you don't also wear the same funky hat the pope wears...with an NYC logo or something on it...? Budweiser?
Not cool dude.
Point being?

Look at the helmet it is a predecessor to the TLD Daytona and D2!
It's a Edge TL Comp. circa 1994 helmet.

It has nothing to do with what you wear or whatever you are implying... it's a piece of history to me.

So we all shouldn't be using a RS Boxxer Worldcup since we're not Worldcup riders? And so on???

ON TOP.:

Hey BJ,

You painting this at the C'dale premises?

When you finished with this, paint the messed up white D2 Carbon of Bart in his beloved Monster energy drink colors.

Good on ya',

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Hehe dont let m get to ya Ralph, its just a forum :imstupid:

But some peeps are just warning you cause RedBull are a bucnh of Aholes about their helmet Paintjobs.(and thats not the only thing RedBull are Aholes about...) They will sue when they have the chance.
RedBull does not care about action sports or the people doing the sports.
They just care about their VIPs and their dollars.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That's already been covered somewhere in the middle of this thread.... but I'll be nice and not make you dig! Use that trim for motorcycle windsheild edging. You should have a few color choices as well, i.e., chrome, black, gold, maybe others. A quality 3M trim adhesive should keep it in place, just make sure it won't eat the composite materials...

EDIT: Actually, it should be fine as windsheilds are composites/plastics, too....

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Read through the thread, but still have a few questions. I'm about to spray my D2. I am going fairly simple, a plain black base with a simple design. However I would like to get a nice smooth glossy finish. I know about all the prepping. But unsure how to spray it, should I buy a cheap air gun and borrow a compressor or use car paint in cans, is this safe? I don't want to interfere with the integrity of the composite. Also how many coats of primer, paint and lacquer to get a good finish? cheers