Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Nah... the 'pinstripe' is cutplotted chrome vinylfoil.
(there's no One Shot paint in chrome)

The chrome trimming is a screentrimming normally used on crotchrocket sportbikes.

Ordered these through eBay.: look for err. ? ? ? aah yes, AirBlade screens.
(i guess in the US a local sportsbike shop might help you out, perhaps from another brand?)

They come in assorted colors; Gold, Chrome, 3D Halo Silver, Metallic Red 'n Blue.

Rip the TLD trimmings of and clean it up underneath...
The trimmings i used are also shorter/thinner so the factory design/livery will peep underneath when applied without cleaning up.

Testfit them first before cutting them down, let them set as some 'shrinkage' will occur.

And lay 'em in warm water as to straighten 'em.

Good luck sourcing and applying,

ps. Stripping? I leave the TLD trimmings on and liner in, sand the helmet down, primer it after taping/masking off the ducts, screwmountings, chinstrap rivet, trimmings and the eyeport and headport. After priming i renew the masking. Then add a white basecoat and of you go...

Sourcing the same type TLD trimmings got me nowhere.
These are also plastic instead of rubber unlike a Arai helmet where you can remove these.
Thanks a lot for the info, I have been looking all over.
As for stripping, Was the carbon fiber helmet a stock painted/decaled helemt? Did you strip that down to the carbon and then clearcoat? I am in process of doing that to one of my D2 carbon helmets, just wondering what steps you used.
Thanks again

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Nah... the 'pinstripe' is cutplotted chrome vinylfoil.
(there's no One Shot paint in chrome)

The chrome trimming is a screentrimming normally used on crotchrocket sportbikes.

Ordered these through eBay.: look for err. ? ? ? aah yes, AirBlade screens.
(i guess in the US a local sportsbike shop might help you out, perhaps from another brand?)

They come in assorted colors; Gold, Chrome, 3D Halo Silver, Metallic Red 'n Blue.

Rip the TLD trimmings of and clean it up underneath...
The trimmings i used are also shorter/thinner so the factory design/livery will peep underneath when applied without cleaning up.

Testfit them first before cutting them down, let them set as some 'shrinkage' will occur.

And lay 'em in warm water as to straighten 'em.

Good luck sourcing and applying,

ps. Stripping? I leave the TLD trimmings on and liner in, sand the helmet down, primer it after taping/masking off the ducts, screwmountings, chinstrap rivet, trimmings and the eyeport and headport. After priming i renew the masking. Then add a white basecoat and of you go...

Sourcing the same type TLD trimmings got me nowhere.
These are also plastic instead of rubber unlike a Arai helmet where you can remove these.
arai rubber molding comes off and goes back on fine :) i've done it on many rx-7 corsairs. i wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what your doing, but it is more than possible and have lasted a few race seasons with no problem.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Thanks a lot for the info, I have been looking all over.
As for stripping, Was the carbon fiber helmet a stock painted/decaled helemt? Did you strip that down to the carbon and then clearcoat? I am in process of doing that to one of my D2 carbon helmets, just wondering what steps you used.
Thanks again
Rufus!

It was originally a decaled 2003 D2!

Wetsanded back with P800 untill i got to the decals and reverting to P1.000 with lots of elbow grease. On some spots i went straight through the gelcoat too but hey that ineviable with those thin decals. After that just clearcoated the whole helmet. Up close in direct sunlight the slight spots where i went through the gelcoat shows through, less glasslike. But really not noticeable if you don't know.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Rufus!

It was originally a decaled 2003 D2!

Wetsanded back with P800 untill i got to the decals and reverting to P1.000 with lots of elbow grease. On some spots i went straight through the gelcoat too but hey that ineviable with those thin decals. After that just clearcoated the whole helmet. Up close in direct sunlight the slight spots where i went through the gelcoat shows through, less glasslike. But really not noticeable if you don't know.
Just the answer that I was looking for. I did the same with my d2 carbon. I just wondered what others did.
I still can't source the trim here in the US. Would it be possible to get some from you if you order it? Or at least point me in the right direction for your ebay seller?

I have the helmet done, just need the trim.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
so since Jared Graves is back riding for me (haven't made the official announcement yet! ;)), i sprayed him up a new lid for the Aussie season.

Jared really likes to design his own lids, so here's what he sketched up & how the final product came out. Sorry it's a ****ty pic... i didn't realize until AFTER i sent the lid out to Oz.

The white is acutally a white flake; the turquoise is a candy turquoise i mixed up. it also has a sublte "rope effect" in the turq. (kinda like how we did the old Hansen's Energy lids)

his new lids will be ready by the first world cup

(the lid is a 661 Evolution... the visor is a TLD stingray)

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
so since Jared Graves is back riding for me (haven't made the official announcement yet! ;)), i sprayed him up a new lid for the Aussie season.

Jared really likes to design his own lids, so here's what he sketched up & how the final product came out. Sorry it's a ****ty pic... i didn't realize until AFTER i sent the lid out to Oz.

The white is acutally a white flake; the turquoise is a candy turquoise i mixed up. it also has a sublte "rope effect" in the turq. (kinda like how we did the old Hansen's Energy lids)

his new lids will be ready by the first world cup

(the lid is a 661 Evolution... the visor is a TLD stingray)
Did Jared switch sponsors and go from TLD to SixSixOne?

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Here are some quick photos of the lid Jeremiah did for me as well(since I see he put some work up)...I apologize for the terrible pics, and will try and get some in the sun to do the Helmet Justice...It's pretty sick though....at least I think so.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Here are some quick photos of the lid Jeremiah did for me as well(since I see he put some work up)...I apologize for the terrible pics, and will try and get some in the sun to do the Helmet Justice...It's pretty sick though....at least I think so.

That's sick, i was going to have JDD to something similar but he still hasn't responded to my email. coughpleaserespondcough. I was planning on doing an eagle carring a flag on one side wraping around towards the back and then have the other side be the American flag.
The eagle would be something along these lines

And my other idea is to have something like this.
with the eagle on the back of the helmet and the flags reaching to a little bit past the middle of each side.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
That's sick, i was going to have JDD to something similar but he still hasn't responded to my email. coughpleaserespondcough. I was planning on doing an eagle carring a flag on one side wraping around towards the back and then have the other side be the American flag.
The eagle would be something along these lines

And my other idea is to have something like this. with the eagle on the back of the helmet and the flags reaching to a little bit past the middle of each side.
hmmm... sorry i don't recall the email. sorry bout that! shoot it to me again

jdd@dylandeandesigns.com

and cc: me here jdd@dylan-dean.com

(i'm having issues w/ one of my computers accepting emails... so maybe yours got lost in the mix?)

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Nuthin' G.

D3 is laying on the basecoat for Grubby.
After a long walk, he found home again.

Besides i'm guessing the dude is thick in things, new season firing up!

- painting lids

- managing his riders

- nema chores
That was meant sarcastically.
I am glad to see that D3 is doing that. I like the real personal touch rather than TLD's decals cleared over.
Congrats on the pickup Dylan, I expect to see some good things this season.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
-continued-

- product designing (Dean Optics)

- arranging / taking photoshoots (Dylan Dean Photo)

- editorial (PINNED Mag)

Veeery thick in things.

So soon new lids for EC, Bryn, Needles... amongst 'certain other' things.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
That was meant sarcastically.
I am glad to see that D3 is doing that. I like the real personal touch rather than TLD's decals cleared over.
Congrats on the pickup Dylan, I expect to see some good things this season.
lol. no worries. & thanks for the support! many people don't know all what i do anyway... funny... there are many people who think "Jeremiah" and "Dylan" are 2 different people... then add my other nicknames... JD, JDD, Dean, etc... i've got an entire staff! haha

-continued-

- product designing (Dean Optics)

- arranging / taking photoshoots (Dylan Dean Photo)

- editorial (PINNED Mag)

Veeery thick in things.

So soon new lids for EC, Bryn, Needles... amongst 'certain other' things.

& working on the Pro Tour for this season

...was working on a pro team as well... but that's pushed off til '10 unfortunately

no EC on the program.. i think he's still running stock lids w/ THE.

so far on the roster should be Graves, Bryn, Needles, ...possibly a worlds lid for Mick. & waiting to hear back on a couple of others to see what's up for this season. a couple of guys might be riding their lids from last season as well

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
lol. no worries. & thanks for the support! many people don't know all what i do anyway... funny... there are many people who think "Jeremiah" and "Dylan" are 2 different people... then add my other nicknames... JD, JDD, Dean, etc... i've got an entire staff! haha

& working on the Pro Tour for this season

...was working on a pro team as well... but that's pushed off til '10 unfortunately

no EC on the program.. i think he's still running stock lids w/ THE.

so far on the roster should be Graves, Bryn, Needles, ...possibly a worlds lid for Mick. & waiting to hear back on a couple of others to see what's up for this season. a couple of guys might be riding their lids from last season as well
Did you get my recent email, I tried again.

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
I like the real personal touch rather than TLD's decals cleared over.
?

That's only for mass production...

Besides watertransfers / decals are becoming obsolete; now-a-days it's more like a flexible sock with heat transfer (multiple) to make it fit.
Kinda' like a noodlecup package being printed allover or a Yoghurt cup.
Form fitting stuff.

If i could make self produced decals or transfers inexpensive i would do it, adding shading or fancy basepaint with a paintgun, airbrush!

Think of the possibilities...
When you got Illustrator and/or Photoshop skills!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
?

That's only for mass production...

Besides watertransfers / decals are becoming obsolete; now-a-days it's more like a flexible sock with heat transfer (multiple) to make it fit.
Kinda' like a noodlecup package being printed allover or a Yoghurt cup.
Form fitting stuff.

If i could make self produced decals or transfers inexpensive i would do it, adding shading or fancy basepaint with a paintgun, airbrush!

Think of the possibilities...
When you got Illustrator and/or Photoshop skills!
Gotcha.

I do my own decals so my helmet will be up in the next month.

Craig Quik

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland
Cheers! This is the first one I've finished - I had a play about on my old helmet to get used to the airbrush etc, but didn't finish it.

Working on another one now so I'll post up the pics when I'm finished.

Last edited: