Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
@dylan dean ... did you put a troylee visor onto jared's 661 ?? does it fit ?? THX

@supatone .. nice work... i think i saw one of your helmets in morgins this summer ;)

Last edited:

SupaTone

Monkey
Jun 5, 2008
French Alps
@supatone .. nice work... i think i saw one of your helmets in morgins this summer ;)
Thanks man - yer that was the first helmet I did for my daughter, this one is much better!... you must have seen the original on the day she beat all the boys in her age group and all the SENIOR women! ;-)

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Guys
I have started my helmet painting.
I have rubbed throught some of the gelcoat and on some parts onto the the carbon,In various places all over the helmet(Mostly on the edges its a OGK-Pretty much a Troy lee carbon.
Will this be ok?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Brillant,Nice how there is a design over the carbon fibre and you can still see it.
Pearlesent paint?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
nope....
kandy pigment mixed w/ intercoat clear :)

soooo kinda paint but not really :)
true . . . i was kinda' dumbing it down for people who have no idea what candies are; other than the kind they put in their mouths. candy coats are fun to play with, i'm a big fan of using them over metal flakes lately.

you paint any new helmets lately, luke? i'm going to try and bang out a few next week while i'm on school vacation.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
true . . . i was kinda' dumbing it down for people who have no idea what candies are; other than the kind they put in their mouths. candy coats are fun to play with, i'm a big fan of using them over metal flakes lately.

you paint any new helmets lately, luke? i'm going to try and bang out a few next week while i'm on school vacation.
Lee, I have an incredibly quick and easy helmet painting project for you. Shoot me an email.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts

ya I have a couple superbike helmets in the shop right now and will have 2 more after Daytona, along with GR's lid, a13x's, I'm working on getting a NASCAR driver and team as well...umm let's see then I have some stuff of mine that will never get done (arai corsair RX7 helmet, 2 THE's, original TLD daytona i'm painting up like Palmer's...kind of a tribute to put on the wall)

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
Hey Monkies! Besides being an avid cyclist I'm also an airbrush artist/fishing lure designer and would love to do some art for you guys. I can airbrush pretty much anything that paint will stick to but especially helmets and small components.

I have written two how-to articles for the Iwata website under my nick name Snax and my real name Mike Bromelow and will have one of my lures featured in the 2009 Auto Air Colors catalog. I'm generally looking to be paid but I do have a list of bike stuff I'm after including a 888 RC2X fork (Must be like new), some lightweight but strong cranks to fit my 83 mm bb. Single chainring and bash guard set up and would prefer 165 mm crank arms. I ride a Fine-Line frame which is a Canfield F-1 replica made by a friend. My current cranks are FSA 3 piece steel beasts that I custom painted with fire and skulls!

You can see more of my airbrush work on my website at www.muskysnax.com as well as the custom fishing lures I'm famous for. Here's an example of my airbrushing...

M@LPHY

Monkey
Oct 6, 2004
the Netherlands
Guys
I have started my helmet painting.
I have rubbed throught some of the gelcoat and on some parts onto the the carbon,In various places all over the helmet(Mostly on the edges its a OGK-Pretty much a Troy lee carbon.
Will this be ok?
Should pose no problem to the overall integrity of the helmet.
Remember it is autoclaved, high pressure cooking...

When clearcoating all should dissappear... you'll only see the spots in direct sunlight IF you know. But to a noob non-visable.

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
I just got my new Pro-Tec lid painted by Luke Dobie (LD Designs). Got it in the mail yesterday and couldn't be more stoked on it! GraveDigger themed! Check it out!<BR>

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
George - Nice helmet! I like the Grave Digger theme - the flames turned out pretty sweet. I think I met Luke at the Open last year near the SRAM tent. Not bad for a guy who just started painting helmets.

Are you going to be there for opening day?

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
George - Nice helmet! I like the Grave Digger theme - the flames turned out pretty sweet. I think I met Luke at the Open last year near the SRAM tent. Not bad for a guy who just started painting helmets.

Are you going to be there for opening day?
hey, yup i met ya and did a run with ya. Lol I didn't just start painting helmets... I've been doing it for awhile (close to...15 years or so) and have a pretty decent client list lol. I do mostly AMA superbike riders and motorcycles.. The fire on GR's lid is a bit stylized...it's green fire to start with, so I made it look a bit aggressive and not as realistic. :)
few more...

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
15 Years?!

WHAT?

Dude... you look like you're 22!

I stand corrected! My apologies!

:o:

The paint on that chopper is SICK! I dig the flame work on the sola "Seven" too!

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
15 Years?!

WHAT?

Dude... you look like you're 22!

I stand corrected! My apologies!

:o:

The paint on that chopper is SICK! I dig the flame work on the sola "Seven" too!
lol 27... i started learning body work and painting goalie masks in 6th or 7th grade, middle school. actually if u want to go back further...i painted my street hockey mask with model paint when i was in 4th lol

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
Just got this back from the clearcoaters yesterday; still needing a final buff:

I don't think I'd ever want something like that. Not only would I be afraid of landing on it, I'd probably ride a lot less because I'd always be distracted by the awesomeness of my helmet.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Well I don't want to follow those two, especially with a few crap Iphone pics, I will.

Not finished yet, respraying the visor more of a gunmetal color, finish sanding the bottom part of the helmet, and a few more small decals such as website and small silver sponsor decals. Trim put on for pics.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Well I don't want to follow those two, especially with a few crap Iphone pics, I will.

Not finished yet, respraying the visor more of a gunmetal color, finish sanding the bottom part of the helmet, and a few more small decals such as website and small silver sponsor decals. Trim put on for pics.

pure carbon D2s are so nice. The only way for it to get better is to blast some kandy over it and tint the carbon.