Quantcast

Custom Paint Helmet Thread!!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
bizutch said:
shewwwww....better luck next time bro. sorry to not be positive...but some time taping would have done that thing wonders. Or you can take some thin pinstriping and outline the design to cover those wobbly edges and make a transition color from the smurf blue to pepto pink :)
Not sure which wobbly lines you are talking about. If its the lines on the top and bottom of the patterns she made them that way on purpose. I had originally envisioned those as striaght lines but she decided she wanted them to be more curved and went that way.
We had thought about doing a transition color but decided to keep things more minimalistic partly because it's her first go at an airbrush and partly because we both tend to like a more minimalistic style and aren't trying to do the same things other airbrushers do. For the most part I tend to think most airbrush jobs are just too much so we're trying to come up with our own style.
Still, there's definitely room for improvement and that will come with time.
It's not something I would expect someone to pay for but all things considered I think it looks a hell of a lot better than it did.
Although one thing we definitely learned is that 661 helmets definitely aren't the best for painting because all the stickers under the clearcoat are impossible to fully conceal.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
bizutch said:
sorry. didn't mean to offend. heh...like I've ever painted anything besides my daughters nursery :love:
no offense taken. just trying to figure out which wobbly lines you meant and clarify that they were actually masked that way (wether or not that's right or wrong is totally subjective).
She's still debating wether or not she wants to outline the pink pattern with another color(maybe white like the lettering) or leave it as is but since we have a lot of other stuff to take care of before Angel Fire she might not have time to do it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So dumb question. Can you replace the foam inside of the helmet if you compress it in a wreck? I think my new HJC moto helmet is ass ugly, and I'd really like to paint/get it painted, but I don't know if I want to spend the time/money to do so on what I consider to be a relatively disposable item.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
TBFKAHG said:
Not sure which wobbly lines you are talking about. If its the lines on the top and bottom of the patterns she made them that way on purpose. I had originally envisioned those as striaght lines but she decided she wanted them to be more curved and went that way.
We had thought about doing a transition color but decided to keep things more minimalistic partly because it's her first go at an airbrush and partly because we both tend to like a more minimalistic style and aren't trying to do the same things other airbrushers do. For the most part I tend to think most airbrush jobs are just too much so we're trying to come up with our own style.
Still, there's definitely room for improvement and that will come with time.
It's not something I would expect someone to pay for but all things considered I think it looks a hell of a lot better than it did.
Although one thing we definitely learned is that 661 helmets definitely aren't the best for painting because all the stickers under the clearcoat are impossible to fully conceal.
I have painted a bunch of 661s before (they are one of my sponsors). All you have to do is sand down the helmet to get below the decals (something you should be doing anyway if you know how to paint correctly). Then there are no runny edges. Also, after you do your graphics, you should be sanding the clear & re-spraying until you cannot feel the paint difference by touch/feel. Not even TLD gives you that kind of workmanship, but with what he charges, he should.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
redical said:
I have painted a bunch of 661s before (they are one of my sponsors). All you have to do is sand down the helmet to get below the decals (something you should be doing anyway if you know how to paint correctly). Then there are no runny edges. Also, after you do your graphics, you should be sanding the clear & re-spraying until you cannot feel the paint difference by touch/feel. Not even TLD gives you that kind of workmanship, but with what he charges, he should.
if there is a good base and it's flat you don't have to get the graphics off...most DH helmets yes but some moto helmets along with street ones u can get them flat without getting the graphics off. but ya i hear u on the final product..wet sand and buff! every TLD paintjob i have seen even at his shop, this is not done...i have a feeling he lost some quality when he bumped up production, which isn't surprising

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
cuasidh said:
here is mine// :)

nice paintjob made by an argentinian..
thnx fabricio
(helmet)
Fellow Argentine, cool. Did Fabricio do the grpahics from scratch or was this a partial paint over an exisitng TLD graphic? WHat part of Argentina is he from? What does he charge?

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
This is a Team Turner/Texan flag helmet I painted at our body shop for Factory Turner rider/MB Action test pilot Moe Hutchison. It has been shot in the mag a few times now. I will post some close ups soon.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Here's my new helmet. The pictures don't do it justice. There's a lot of intricate cool detail. The visor pic is pre-clear coat, but you get the idea. Thanks Tana!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Here are my latest attempts at helmet painting.
In my haste to start painting them apparently I neglected to sand the first one and and all my hard work is going ot have to be scrapped.
It's a shame too because the basic design looked quite promising and I would have really liked to see the end result:

2 brand new, plain white Bell Ballistic helmets:

And as soon as Istarted removing tape I quickly realized my error:

All those ugly spots are places where the paint peeled off all the way to the original clear coat :(

But on the plus side my Green Lantern helmet is off to a good start. Just need to outline the emblen in black and the rest of the white will be outlined in silver:

I don't think i have to worry about anyone else having a helmet that looks like mine.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the Green Lantern helmet is killer!

the super man one... well it looks like the one my retarded neighbor wears..

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
DHS said:
the Green Lantern helmet is killer!

the super man one... well it looks like the one my retarded neighbor wears..
Hehe. Well, no telling how the superman would have turned out in the end. Once the first bit of tape came off I halted any further work on it. Hopefully we'll get the green lantern finished up tonight and I can scrape down the superman one and start it over (I'll probably go with a different pattern since I definitely don't like it as much as the Green Lantern one).

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i got my full face painted with high heat chevy orange paint..then i dropped it in the grass..it has some brown in random spots with some random diablo stickers..i'm going to make it checkered or something cool

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I used to paint motocross helmets many years ago under the name "Twisted Mind Designs", hence the TWISTED. Many of my colors and styles are a bit dated, but I thought I'd join this thread.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
now all you need is the old full neon outfits to go with. and you have a killer race gear setup.... you'd be the talk of any race

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
so when you guys do helmets and people want their sponsors logos on them, do you replicate them in some way or do you throw down the paintjob design and slap sponsor logos on top of the paint then douse them in clear coat to seal the stickers in? I assume they're all just stickers since painting a Red Bull bull onto a curved surface and getting to look identical to the brand logo would take some very good artwork?

Edit: And if they're stickers, do you have issues with the sticker fading under the clear or does the clear seal in the color?