Quantcast

D3 Helmets are available!

DhUrbaner

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
any idea on sizing? I'm a med/lg in the D2 sizing and it fit just right. I'd order 1 right now if I only knew for sure.?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I must say I'm a bit dissapointed with the graphics packages TLD put together for the new D3... for such an awesome new helmet I was hoping for something that made a bit more of a statement, aesthetically.

However to me, their new D2 graphics look pretty awesome for 2010. Plus the hot-rod themed Palmer lid looks badass! I think Hot-Rod themes will always represent classic style.

EDIT: Now if ONLY TLD would paint a D3 the with the same graphics as their Palmer D2... Say - offer a limited "Palmer D3" THAT would rock!

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Weird? I just spoke with TLD on Monday and the pre-christmas arrival wasn't going to happen, and they were pushed back until spring? Maybe the online dealers get priority over stocking dealers?

Either way I was told they will be offering the raw carbon, which is much better than the color options IMO.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Weird? I just spoke with TLD on Monday and the pre-christmas arrival wasn't going to happen, and they were pushed back until spring? Maybe the online dealers get priority over stocking dealers?

Either way I was told they will be offering the raw carbon, which is much better than the color options IMO.
Yeah I am not sure about that, but I know RideSFO will have them in house on Monday.

As for the straight carbon one, the word on the street is sometime in the future they will offer it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Ugh, those graphics should be a hit with the TAP-OUT crowd they must be aiming for. I'm getting the stealthed out D2 for next year, hopefully they will get the graphic program outta 1999 mode for next year.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Man you guys are at it today!!!

The carbon and silver Hill isn't doing it for ya?

No one here wanted a moto helmet that was a bit lighter and vented
better???????????????

For $50 more than a D2?????????

WTF??

I have an SE2 and the D3 feels nearly identacle but a lot lighter!

We'll have em on tuesday to help figure out sizing.

We have a handfull left that arent presold.

Krispy

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Negative. POC is multi hit rated.
Yup.

Bern helmets are multi hit rated as well. They currently only have turtle shells, but a buddy of mine is a rep and told me he's seen in person full face protos that are multi impact rated. He's trying to convince them to expand into DH, they don't think its viable, especially against companies like Giro. But he's pushing on the fact that there's only one other company with multi impact rated helmets.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I don't want to really derail the thread (cause I'm pretty excited to check out and maybe pick up a D3), but I have yet to buy into the multi-impact hype.

I really want it to happen, cause I know the technology is being developed, but until there's a standard for multiple impacts and/or the manufactures can tell me exactly how many impacts they think their helmets can take (yes, there is limit. and it's often not that many), then I will consider every helmet to be one-impact.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
POC is indeed multi hit. if I want a light, SINGLE HIT helmet, I will take the 661 Evolution. Same protection, little heavier, and I can buy 3 for the price of the logo on a TLD.

*** sorry, i put multi by mistake.

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
POC is indeed multi hit. if I want a light, multi hit helmet, I will take the 661 Evolution. Same protection, little heavier, and I can buy 3 for the price of the logo on a TLD.
the 661 evos have a PS core. PS is a one hit wonder.

The poc has there own core. I believe for 2010 they will be using the mips tech. I havent come across it on there site for there DH helmets but i know they are using the mips tech. Mips tryed to sell us on it but were too damn cheap.

That is the bucket that i want with the mips.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
POC is indeed multi hit. if I want a light, multi hit helmet, I will take the 661 Evolution. Same protection, little heavier, and I can buy 3 for the price of the logo on a TLD.
The Evolution is only rated @ ATSM 1952 (according to 661's website). From what I've heard in regards to that standard, it doesn't encompass a multi-impact rating. Is that correct? Does anyone have the text of ASTM 1952 that I could read?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sorry, i miswrote that. I meant to put SINGLE IMPACT for the evolution.

Point is, if the damn thing is designed to hit the ground, why buy one that costs 3x as much, but provides the same protection?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Man you guys are at it today!!!

The carbon and silver Hill isn't doing it for ya?

No one here wanted a moto helmet that was a bit lighter and vented
better???????????????

For $50 more than a D2?????????

WTF??

I have an SE2 and the D3 feels nearly identacle but a lot lighter!

We'll have em on tuesday to help figure out sizing.

We have a handfull left that arent presold.

Krispy
I totally agree! The D3 is a welcome evolution of the D2 and looks to be the new DH favorite. It's just the graphics don't seem to be really making much an aesthetic statement for such a cool new product.

I look forward to the plain all-carbon one coming out and will most likely pick one up from you guys. Kris - any solid lead on when the all-carbon D3 will be available?