Quantcast

D3 Helmets are available!

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly i don't care about the price 450 is expensive but not overly...

the designs are hideous though...

will keep my THE Carbon until i damage it and then will try whether the 2010 POC fit my head better then the 2009 Models.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
For $450 I´m getting one for sure. It´s expensive, but not to bad for a badass helmet either. I like to crash with style you know :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i maintain my complete hatred for almost every tld helmet design...

the white flame one doesn't look horrible...everything else is gag.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Haha I actually liked this design the best out of all of them. If the Steve Peat one just had beer (no dart board) I would have gotten that one. Or if the straight carbon one was available I would have gotten that over all.

But, this was the best looking one that was available. I am very happy with the fit and look forward to riding with it soon. I am also very excited to ride with it using my Leatt since it was designed to work with it.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
sick helmet there bro. I hate asking this ,im gunna get online grommy for a sec ,could you post up a few detail pics ,one with goggles ,and maybe one with your leatt fitted?
Im so keen on the D3.
Also ,what size D2 did you run? and what D3 did you get.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am actually planning on doing a thorough write up (with photos) of the helmet and with the Leatt compared to the D2. One of the main factors of being so interested in the D3 was its compatibility and design to work with the Leatt.

I would say maybe check back later tonight or early tomorrow for a review with photos etc. I am at work right now, so there isn't much I can do.

I had a Medium/Large D2 before and got a Medium D3 (I used my hat measurement size for the D3 since they break down the sizes more for them).

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Man you guys are at it today!!!

The carbon and silver Hill isn't doing it for ya?

No one here wanted a moto helmet that was a bit lighter and vented
better???????????????

For $50 more than a D2?????????

WTF??

I have an SE2 and the D3 feels nearly identacle but a lot lighter!

We'll have em on tuesday to help figure out sizing.

We have a handfull left that arent presold.

Krispy

Woah woah woah- is the D3 Snell or DOT approved?? If so I'd be all over it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Alright I don't have much time to do a write up right now, but I wanted to get the photo comparison of the D2 vs. D3 up with the Leatt. HUGE difference on the movement in the back. I am very pleased with that.

Right side:

Fox goggle fit:

Headphone slot:

Emergency information on visor (this is on both visors that come with the helmet):

Sam Hill:

The bag:

And on what Brian and Trancend were talking about, it is not DOT or Snell because of the venting.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Nice pix TH

Good to see the comparison with the Leatt [I have a club GPX too] and have looked at both these Helmets I went another route in the end, but I dig the D3 enjoy that extra protection, Having suffered a good head injury its no place to skimp on cost :thumb:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Nice pix TH

Good to see the comparison with the Leatt [I have a club GPX too] and have looked at both these Helmets I went another route in the end, but I dig the D3 enjoy that extra protection, Having suffered a good head injury its no place to skimp on cost :thumb:
Nice handle and avatar. Such a freaking fantastic movie. Welcome to RM

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks.

The helmet really seems like a huge step up in protection and safety compared to the D2. I am also very happy with the gained movement with looking up, I am not too sure if you can tell in the photos, but there is a significant difference.

I am pretty excited to get out on the trails with the helmet for a ride report with it.

Does anyone have any questions about it?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
What does the flap under the chin look like? The on my D2 is kinked upward and always rubs against my chin. For some reason I only remember it being like that with my newest D2, but not the previous two I've owned. No ammount of stretching will keep it from returning to that shape. Is the D3 like that?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
What does the flap under the chin look like? The on my D2 is kinked upward and always rubs against my chin. For some reason I only remember it being like that with my newest D2, but not the previous two I've owned. No ammount of stretching will keep it from returning to that shape. Is the D3 like that?
I think I know what you are talking about. It was almost like a root guard on the bottom of the chin piece? I actually cut mine off on my D2. The D3 doesn't have one. the EPS is super thick on the chin section of the helmet too.

Emergency Contact info and headphone slots are nice attention to detail.
For sure. Not to mention the emergency cheek pad removal tabs (the red tabs between the cheek pads and back of the helmet pads in the photo). The pads come right out if you yank on the tabs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
With one necessitating the need for the other.......
That is an unfortunate case. Problem is people think everythings a party and its always time to rock out. On the occaisions I do listen to music while riding. Its an earbud only in one ear, and the volume is low enough that it doesn't drown out ambient noise.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Just to be clear about safety, it could pass the snell and dot in terms of impact protection if it weren't for the venting, but since a metal footpeg could possibly get through there it doesn't pass. I'm no expert on this though.

In the simplest terms, there is a new standard that the D3 and the Giro both pass that the D2 did not. It is higher than the old standard but below the motorcycle standard.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just to be clear about safety, it could pass the snell and dot in terms of impact protection if it weren't for the venting, but since a metal footpeg could possibly get through there it doesn't pass. I'm no expert on this though.

In the simplest terms, there is a new standard that the d3 and the giro both pass that the d2 did not. It is higher than the old standard but below the motorcycle standard.
astm f 1952?

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Nice handle and avatar. Such a freaking fantastic movie. Welcome to RM

Chur bud, yeah that movie is one of my all time favs and up there as a Kiwi movie classic! Filmed part of it in my home town when I was just a little kid :D

I like the crash info very well thought out, I know when I had my accident even with lots of freinds and competitors around no one knew who, how, what or if they should contact anyone, so its was days while I was in hospital before some family knew, not that thats ness a bad thing, I was so high and out of it I didn't care at the time, though the freinds were all onto it ah the web :p

Good thread, am digging it.

Higher stds is a good thing now if we could only get some independant versions for neck braces so the copies or unsafe products claiming valid or unvalid claims are controlled and cotia!

:thumb:

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Just to be clear about safety, it could pass the snell and dot in terms of impact protection if it weren't for the venting, but since a metal footpeg could possibly get through there it doesn't pass. I'm no expert on this though.
Thats exactly what a TLD rep at Mammoth told me too. Just don't slam a foot peg into your D3.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Foot peg probably wouldn't puncture it actually. Snell/DOT penetration test involves dropping a 6.5 pound steel spike from almost 10 feet. Not a whole lot of similar dangers out there for most mountain bikers, thankfully.

Got a chance to check out some D3's at the local shop last night. Really impressive quality. Every detail is dialed. For how solid they feel, they're ridiculously light too.

For what it's worth, XSM and SM sizes share the same foam, M and L share the same foam, and XL and XXL share the same foam. They just make up the difference with thicker padding. Since that padding will pack out overtime anyway, I'd recomend getting the smaller of which ever foam fits. In other words, if the L fits good, try the M too and think about how it might fit as it packs out. I used to wear the XL/XXL D2 and the XL D3 fits great.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Just to be clear about safety, it could pass the snell and dot in terms of impact protection if it weren't for the venting...
IDK, it's a little thicker than the D2 but still a lot thinner than an SE2.

I'll keep my '08 D2 for another season. I'm disappointed the D3 costs 1.5 times what a D2 did. It was a stretch to justify the D2 even when it was on sale for $220, but it fit me better than any other helmet I tried. If I needed to replace it I think the POC is a better deal because it's a multi-impact helmet. Unfortunately, the XL POC won't fit my big head. :mad: The SE2 also fits me perfectly and there's a ton of them on ebay for $200 right now.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Haha I actually liked this design the best out of all of them. If the Steve Peat one just had beer (no dart board) I would have gotten that one. Or if the straight carbon one was available I would have gotten that over all.

But, this was the best looking one that was available. I am very happy with the fit and look forward to riding with it soon. I am also very excited to ride with it using my Leatt since it was designed to work with it.
Same here, the Sam Hill version is in deed the best looking one, i will get one as soon as they are available in good old europe......

Will TLD release a straight carbon one?