Quantcast

D3 Helmets are available!

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
My next will be the POC, only because of the multi-hit liner. My only question is will the D2 visor fit it?
This was on my list as well, but I went with an Airoh Stelt lightest Helmet Ive ever picked up to date for protection and comfort which is my most important requirement, picked it up half price new since the 10s had just landed!

I'm not convinced of multi hit yet or full carbon, I love the POC stuff though, just want more information subjective, POC seem to have it going on for sure.
As has TLD with there stepping it up to meet newer stds, which is good to see in MTB.

My reasons are this carbon is very strong for a given square area compared to composites and light but stiffness is also high, this can be manipulated however!

My problem here without clear data on how the design is produced for multi hit and re carbons stiffness properties can impact on the actual job of these devices. Which is to aborb, deflect and minimise hopefully reduce fully injury to the head neck or body externally or internally [brain] which just floats in the skull.

I'm not sure mutli hit is the be all and end all, Helmets are tested based on GForce rating or impacts to specific area's, Snell rates up to 300g that's a hell of allot for a head/brain to take before the Helmet breaks! DOT somewhere up to 150-200gs, but can be less, which is good based on some info.

Not sure of MTB Helmets, much less I would say, but there's more to MTB and MOTO than just Gs rating.

A neck brace or Helmet which is designed to break at a certain point is based on what is safe for the body to sustain, like a crumple zone in a car, if the car resisted breaking more damage to the Human inside occurs, this is proven beyond doubt, Helmets are the same, including neck braces, which is why I choose a non GPX carbon and went nylon club version, less stiffness and force transferred to body on impact more absorption and if the impact exceeds the level of force safe to the body then on breaking at the clamps or thorasic this breakage itself helps absorb the kinetic energy how much will always change depending on circumstance, but I think people miss these points!

Helmet/brace survival is not key here! head and body is,having survived a broken neck [c1,2,3, and misaligned vertebrae to my coxic plus and head trauma, I still get headaches and have a tender head after 2+years and still have a ways to go.

This does not make me an expert, but Ive spent allot of time looking at this, talking to moto dealers, guys and online research, still inconclusive but its still something to think about, I know I did when I got my new Helmet and especially my Leatt which I got first then choose a Helmet that well with the neck brace..

Looking at TH piccs that's also a something to consider now, the D3 seems to be a much better fit for neck braces, how this works is to be seen in time re impact and crash testing, unfortunately by us:shocked::thumb:

Just my thoughts on this, in the end we each must make our own decisions, but info is good I think :D

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
GoodbyePorkPie made some good points there. I know I will be a lot more comfortable knowing I am running a helmet with a lot more safety improvements.

Side note -

Maybe he can ask in one of the other 50 "D3 Helmets are available!" threads you started. :thumb::thumb:
I think you accidentally put a 0 after that 5 and even then is exaggerated.

3 threads total on multiple sites. =]

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My logic fo buying a multi-hit helmet is to save money. If I bang my head in another brand, that part of the helmet becomes the weakest point in the helmet and I have to toss it to be a safe dad. Assuming I understand it correctly, I can crash in the POC (minor to moderate crash) and not worry about the safety of the whole helmet now being compromised.

I landed only once in 4 years on my current D2 on my gourd head and have always worried about an impact in the same area in the future. BUT, I didn't have the money to replace it.....because I'm a bike whore.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
My logic fo buying a multi-hit helmet is to save money. If I bang my head in another brand, that part of the helmet becomes the weakest point in the helmet and I have to toss it to be a safe dad. Assuming I understand it correctly, I can crash in the POC (minor to moderate crash) and not worry about the safety of the whole helmet now being compromised.

I landed only once in 4 years on my current D2 on my gourd head and have always worried about an impact in the same area in the future. BUT, I didn't have the money to replace it.....because I'm a bike whore.
I hear ya, but this is what worries me with this logic!

TH sorry for the thread derail getting a little off the D3 topic.

But I'd personally rather have less fancy stuff on my bike than save on Helmet or other protection costs!

The delima is deciding what is a scuff or potential weakness and understanding what this means, to me if my head hurts which in most crashes Ive had is the case with an MTB Helmet FS or Open, I bin it!

I don't see how multi impact helps in this regard, in the above crashes, Ive chipped or seen enough of an impact to know its been compromised, if like you say maybe yours was ok it depends on the crash and you have to be honest with yourself, with carbon it can look ok on the outside but only an Xray can tell if the fibres are weakened, composite is a little bit easier.

This is why Im not sure about a helmet which can survive multiple hits or even a good hit, the job is for it to take the hit and not your head and usually this is like a crumple zone in a car, the more its strengthened the more the force will go to the brain or internal body parts.

Multi hit to me means if you crash hard enough and fast enough and recieve multiple hits like bouncing down the road at 100mph then multi hit might save your head if your brain can sustain the Gforces impacting it during the multiple hits, to me there is no way to save money in protection, it's like the old saying you have it hoping you never need it and when you need it you hope it saves your arse!

Trust me if youre a dad, ya don't want the head stuff Ive had to deal with for ya kids, Its an conundrum in MTB in Moto X no one I ever raced with had this attitude, if we crashed and hit the Helmet with any force it was gone!

Not singling you out this is common on MTB forums from what Ive read, but I think it is a false sense of security, head and neck injuries have been on the rise especaily in the last few years.

POC maybe onto a good thing I dunno, but I'd like to see some more info sharing from them and other compaines, to me this is what a website should do, not fancy graphics, flash and lack of detail that frustrates me, slow loading, more info and the faster I can get it and compare the more likely my business will go there, TLD could do better here as well as many others.

Still will keep an interest in what POC is up too, def a cool company and the Ski side of things have taken protection to new levels.:thumb:

ollyforster

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
I love most things TLD but I'm gonna miss out this selection of D3's. The graphics just look weak, and like someone said earlier the 2010 D2's are just aesthetically superior, which is so stupid!
Troy Lee Designs need to look at there back log of helmet art they've done and get these helmets looking like they are worth $450, there £500 over here in the UK by the way, which is about $800 at the current exchange rate!!!
They have some other key athletes other than Peaty, Hill and Palmer for inspiration too!
2011 will be the year, I have faith! Then I'll be getting myself one and most likely from the US, my country is a rip off, and not just with bicycle helmets!

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
He Total Heckler,

could you do me a favour and measure the distance betwenn the 2 vents at the backside of the helmet.

I am working on custom decals - would be great:)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
First ride impressions:

I totally dig it. It feels a lot safer and comfy than the D2. And I really noticed all the new venting once I started descending down the hill. WAY more air flow than the D2. I noticed a little better peripheral vision with the D3 compared to the D2 too. The extra room for the Leatt is CRAZY nice. It really seemed like I wasn't even wearing it with the free range of movement I have now. My goggles fit in the opening great (Fox MX goggles).

Over all, a VERY nice upgrade from the D2 and well worth the money for the gain in movement while wearing the Leatt.

Again, if anyone has any questions just let me know and I would be happy to try and answer them for you!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I hope you are getting a lucrative commission from TLD.
Not doing this for anything.

Just giving an honest review. I am very happy with the helmet. There is so much negative hype about the helmet, I really just want to set it straight with actual facts and real riding experience with it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Other then the ridiculous price of it, I don't recall any negative hype about it. It looks awesome to me, its just got too much TLD tax on it. And the graphics are ugly, but thats a personal decision.

I gotta say though, those designers did do a very thorough job on it. Lots of nice little details.

edc

Chimp
Nov 19, 2006
almost got a d3, but went for the palmer d2 as its a classic and super cool, plus i have my moto lid for going big :)

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
Knowing people helps. I got my Sam Hill D3 for $330 OTD. Pretty much the most amazing piece of protection I've ever bought. I owned a composite Deviant before and it seriously competes in the weight/ventilation aspects. It was amazing how well it performed (even at low speed) considering how not vented it is compared to the Deviant. Not to mention that its 10x safer. Must buy if you want the best.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
See, SOME people understand... :rolleyes:
I got one of these, in awesome neon green. Ugly as sin, but just under $100 shipped, and DOT approved. A little bit heavy, but my brain is worth it. Or as sirchomps-a-lot says "You hit your head one more time, and it's velcro shoes all the time."

It's better, cheaper, and costs less. Plus, you don't have to explain why you would pay so much for an ugly helmet...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
It's better, cheaper, and costs less. Plus, you don't have to explain why you would pay so much for an ugly helmet...
I'm getting the Hill graphic so I don't think I'll need excuses. I'm not gonna lie, I got it cause it's a Troy Lee. I've never owned one, so it's like product testing for me. (LOL, I just realized I sound like a crash test dummy.:D) I've had many seasons from my carbon Remedy and before that, the Mad Max. Say what you want, I just wanted it.

I rode today with a couple guys who work for a helmet testing company that had each had one in bare carbon with no logos, text, flames, etc. Those looked hawt.
That's hawt.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Are they planning too make a non carbon fiber D3?,just wondering since the price would be allot better for most people too buy.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
OK guys I am getting a D3. I have been offered a good price and I have always liked my collection of Troy Lee gear.
But I can not decide which one to get.
Sam Hill or the red Flame...

The Sam Hill one is kind of too clear and the Red Flame kind of too red one the left side. But I really like both and really want one.

But which one???

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Im going to holiday to NYC and staying in/around manhattan. Does anyone know of any shops that keep these in stock that I will not have to travel too far for?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Are they planning too make a non carbon fiber D3?,just wondering since the price would be allot better for most people too buy.
My guess is that part of the reason they could make such a hollowed out shell was because of the carbon. It's just a blind guess, but I'd say making the face guard/mouthpiece out of composite wouldn't allow it to hold up to ASTM standard?

We've got all sorts of enginerds on here that could guess better than me though.:clue:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Knowing people helps. I got my Sam Hill D3 for $330 OTD. Pretty much the most amazing piece of protection I've ever bought. I owned a composite Deviant before and it seriously competes in the weight/ventilation aspects. It was amazing how well it performed (even at low speed) considering how not vented it is compared to the Deviant. Not to mention that its 10x safer. Must buy if you want the best.
bragging to the e-universe is a great way to make sure you keep getting those deals too.:thumb:

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
It may have a better safety rating but that does not make it a better helmet. Of coarse what makes a helmet "better" is pretty subjective but IMO that helmet is NOT better.

If you actually care about aerodynamics then the D3 is the best helmet out there. If you actually care about weight then the D3 is going the best protection to weight ratio out there. If you actually care about subtle engineering the D3 stands out above everyone (Titanium everywhere, pull out cheek pads, built in headphone location etc.)

bragging to the e-universe is a great way to make sure you keep getting those deals too.:thumb:
Someone is bummed out. Maybe bragging is what got me the deal ;)

Last edited: