Quantcast

Dessous by Vorsprung Suspension

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
wish the transfer port was a little to the start of travel, it would make the sag smaller.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
So is Steve recommending that the volume spacers are removed in most cases?
Depends. I for instance had to install one after coming from an RP2 SV. What frame are you riding?

Btw the setup was a bit of a puzzle, but I got it dialed with great support by Steve. My original setup was aforementioned RP2 with Push upgrade for more HSC in a Spesh Pitch (yes, 26" wheels) at 155 psi. Had to go to 210 psi, 0.4 ci spacer and surprisingly high rebound dampening. The last one was the fundamental setting to get a good performance, otherwise the bike was pogo sticking around all over the place. Completely against the ride rebound as fast as possible rule, but necessary due to the higher spring rate at mid travel.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Im putting it on a 650B Carbine. Installing the sleeve was actually the first time I have had the Shock apart, and noticed the volume spacer in their while doing so. From the images I found on volume spacers on the web, it looks to be the largest one. I will send steve an email as well, so far he has been excellent with any questions I have had. Also, the fact I paid 10 shipping for 2 of them and it was shipped to my door in a week was a pretty nice bonus.

Cheers.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I just ordered one for the float X on my rune. Noticed a few pics of a rune on the website and he says in his blog that it works really well with the ks leverage curve. I hope so. I always feel that the float x is too stiff.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Hey all - any queries, feel free to email me on steve at vorsprungsuspension dot com. Replies may take a day or two because things are hectic right now but if you have questions on setup, compatibility etc I will get back to you.

FYI: anyone running a Specialized Enduro, we have an Enduro-specific (yes really, that is a legitimate term in this case!) sleeve in the works. Those bikes have shocks with very unusual characteristics (high leverage, low compression ratio) so we're working on a sleeve to suit. Riders on the 26" and 27.5" Enduros are having to run especially high pressures to cover this (in some cases jumping from 180psi to 300psi) which means a lot of riders (anyone above 180lbs or so) are maxing out the rated pressure (300psi). This will be improved and sag reduced with the sleeves we're working on.

If you have an Enduro (other than a 29er - our feedback is that those are largely working well with the standard 8.5x2.5 Corsets) and you're thinking about buying one, consider holding off for the time being. If you've already bought one for your Enduro and you're struggling to get it to perform properly, contact us and once we have them ready, we'll swap your 8.5 sleeve out for the Enduro one for no charge other than shipping. Bear in mind that the wait time for these is most likely 2 months or so. DRCV sleeves are also in the works. Availability is looking similar to the Enduro sleeves - 2 months or so, possibly more, because there more parameters in the mix.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
So, I'm quite enjoying my Monarch Debonair RTsomethingrather, and felt it's a better shock than the stock Fox Float (on my bike anyway).

Can anyone compare the Debonair to the Float + corsair sleeve at all for me - just initial thoughts would be useful?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
well,
35% SAg to get the shock working good is not for me
just installed back the original air can.
but now with a bigger volume spacer
the shock is working great!
if someone wants to buy a lithely used Corset 8.5X2.5 air can
PM me

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Peach & I are just finishing fitting ours. Both on sb66cs. Definitely feels softer off the top & sits deeper into the travel. Will report back after a proper ride.

Pressure-wise I was at 180 & now I'm at 240, pending further tuning after riding.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Soft off the top, sitting deeper in the travel.......sounds just like the debonair on my nomad (other than excessive pressure).
So basically the Corset makes any bike unrideable?

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Like VPP?

Seriously, how about volume spacers? Could it prevent bottoming out due more progression?

Maybe lower mid travel is a feature appreciated by guys like kidwoo.

Low BB! :D

Last edited:

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
oooo.... At least you have an excuse for your fiver result...
Pfft. I totally crushed stage 1, which is all that matters.

I actually think I need to lose some air. I think because of the increased sag I was tempted to up pressure to increase bottom-out support, but on last night's ride I was several mm of shock stroke short of bottoming despite some fairly large impacts and, um, less than smooth lines...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
though it may be a vpp thing, i run mine with more sag than usual, and don't run into end stroke issues (ie, harsh bottoming) even with no volume reducers. consequently, i run lower pressures than most seem to be doing (ie, 170psi on a bronson w/ my 165lb weight). it does indeed create an effectively lower / slacker geo at sag (with a bit more fork support) - which i like.

the fiver was good times!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
We'll see how it goes this weekend... With my pack 'n shiz, I'll probably be about on the money.

I've not been on the bike for a while, so my comparison skillz won't be to their regular pinpoint accuracy.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
First ride on my rune with corset on a brand new float X (thanks fox). I put 265psi, for 16/18mm of sag that's About 30%. I still have the stock volume spacer in the shock and I didn't use the last 10/12mm of travel. I will try it without spacer.

It felt really weird riding with that much sag. I felt like I was riding the back of the bike, even when it wasn't steep. Small bump felt great and the mid stroke was definitely more springy!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I wonder if we are going to see a design shift in AM frames to run more sag with the air cans like this becoming more popular?
I'm a big fan of steep seat angles, I wonder if they'll get steeper?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Me too, ghetto fix slide the saddle into more forward position. Looks don't improve though

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
just messed with this sleeve again for a few hours... let me first say that releasing air slowly to avoid getting the can stuck down with negative pressure, didnt seem to work for me.. I fvked with releasing the pressure as slow as humanly possible and working the shock back and forth to equilize the air and pumping it back up and releasing again, and pumping it back up.. but could not get that damn thing to not get stuck at the bottom stroke.. about 30 mins I had to give up and just open the can and pop the air.. Lame!

I took the volume spacer out of the float x? I think.. It was a pretty small 3/16" thick rubber washer with a notch to slip around the shaft.

I put the corset back on kept getting way to much sag and eventually had it pumped up to 280 psi. it was giving me 22mm of sag(way to much) and I could bunny hop straight up about a foot and bottom it out!!! it sure was smooth doing it though..

I just tried again to release the air so I could put the spacer back in. tried releasing as slow as humanly possible again and eventually after about another half hour of pumping it back up and trying to release again I just had to crack the sleeve open again with a little negative pressure.. What a total PITA..

Not sure I have the patience for all this bullshit! I just put the stock sleeve back on. Maybe I will revisit this sleeve in a few weeks..

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Sounds strange. I had no problem releasing the pressure with a fox shock pump. It was fairly easy to hear the air hissing from neg to pos chamber. Maybe there is something wrong with your shock/air can?

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. I didn't have any issue on either mine or Peach's bikes.

I'm pretty happy with mine now at 210 psi. (180lb nekkid, sb66c, riding technical trails that suck according to team robot). It definitely sits deeper into the travel, which makes a noticeable difference in geometry. I think this is almost as much of a benefit to the spring curve changes.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Weird! I tried and tried to release it slow.. I'll probably try it again tonight with the small air spacer/volume reducer back in it. I was a little frustrated the other day with it.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I put the small/stock volume spacer back in!

Can someone with an engineering degree tell me why, I am now getting 25mm sag and I can bunny hop straight up and bottom this air can out @ 285psi??

I can hear the air equalizing between chambers now.

I took the outer ring off and there is three o rings in it. I think, the instructions say there is supposed to be four o rings in it. . Not sure, , they are confusing! And I don't see where a fourth o ring would be.

Maybe it's time to email these Dudes!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've still not really had the chance to flog my bike since the switchover. There is an evident increase in sag, but I pretty much only paid close attention on a climb, in "trail" mode, got totally gassed, and could barely hold on for the descent. My defective XTR 9000 brakes did not help...

There were sections I was definitely monster trucking for lack of skill to pick the proper line, so perhaps there is an even bigger safety net effect than I was used to. Which is good.... And never bottomed out, or felt like I was gonna lose control. It was a relief...

I would say the "climb" mode is a must from now on, as I was getting a lot more rise of the front wheel on the techy climbs.

Perfect feedback for the DH forum, I know.

I think another 5 psi or so will likely be in order once I come up to speed after a few rides in.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I put the small/stock volume spacer back in!

Can someone with an engineering degree tell me why, I am now getting 25mm sag and I can bunny hop straight up and bottom this air can out @ 285psi??

I can hear the air equalizing between chambers now.

I took the outer ring off and there is three o rings in it. I think, the instructions say there is supposed to be four o rings in it. . Not sure, , they are confusing! And I don't see where a fourth o ring would be.

You are riding a Float X, so I suppose you have the large diameter can. In that can there are 3 rings, one on top of the equalization chamber, one at the bottom of the extra volume neg spring chamber and one between those mentioned. So everything is fine.

Sorry, no moar ringz dude

The bottoming at 285psi is strange. The Rune has a prog-lin-digr leverage ratio curve, similar to the Pitch I'm riding and I'm fine with 210 psi, but have the med size volume spacer installed in a small eyelet RP2. 3 mm of travel left even after big jumps with sub ideal landings. Have you tried a bigger (med) volume spacer?

Maybe it's time to email these Dudes!

Very good idea

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I think it's having equal rights issues!

It seems as if it's not equalizing correctly and to much negative pressure builds up. I can keep adding air pressure and sag doesn't change. I could get the shock 50% into the travel just by sitting on it for a few minutes w/285psi. Even when I release pressure, I can't get the chambers to equalize completely and the shock starts getting sucked in. not sure why? Nothing seems out of place, maybe too much float oil in there still blocking the holes..

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Could be your main piston seal is not keeping the air where it should. So when you sit on your bike air is slowly traveling form pos to neg chamber. Did you inspect these parts? Like here The seal may have been damaged when your can shot off the damper body.

The thing with the oil got me confused as well. I did pour some oil in as well in the first place, old habit and recommended procedure when servicing a Fox can. After reading the installation instructions another time I recognized the lack of it and asked Steve about it - no oil inside the Corset, just a small lube for the Ringz and Sealz. Oil will only find its way down into the neg chamber eating up precious volume and hinder performance.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
My bad for not reaDing that! Thanks. .

But this is still lame! I had a brand new, in the box shock the other day. Now I have a brand new fvcked up shock that needs new seals... sweet!

Remember.. I couldn't get the air out of the negative chamber on the first install. I had to let it pop off the first time I tried releasing air.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Did you check the seals? Are they really damaged? I managed to pop off a stuck down air can without damaging anything two times so far. Maybe you're lucky and only need to regrease everything and put it together again.

On the other hand the seal kit is not that expensive.

Did ask Steve about all this already?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Willing to bet the piston seal was nicked when it popped off. That is why the chambers are not equalizing correctly. Most competent shops stock those kits, only like $10 or so.

I installed the can with just a bit of oil on the inside (as normal) with no bad effect. Just don't pour a bunch in there!